Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dani22
Paper Tape
Views: 35,214
Message 1 of 23

Moto G Plus (5th Generation) - Dropped in water

Hi

I bought Moto G Plus (5th Generation) from Amazon on May 9, 2017. Unfortunately, I have not purchased the warrantly. I accidentally dropped the phone in water. It was working when I took it out. I thought everything is okay. But once the it ran out of battery, I tried to recharge it. But the phone has not started even if I keep it charged for a few hours.

I am hoping the Moto Support team will help me out.

Thank you

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 35,208
Message 2 of 23

Re: Moto G Plus (5th Generation) - Dropped in water

It could be as simple as some corrosion in the charging port, but it also could be incredibly not simple. Once water gets into a device there's really no telling how much damage it could do. Plus the standard warranty doesn't cover water damage.

*the search bar is your friend*
-This is a peer to peer support forum, MOTOXPRTs are volunteers, not Motorola employees
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 35,166
Message 3 of 23

@PacoJr67 wrote:

It could be as simple as some corrosion in the charging port, but it also could be incredibly not simple. Once water gets into a device there's really no telling how much damage it could do. Plus the standard warranty doesn't cover water damage.

Also, any fixes may not last. Water damaged phones are best written off. The same reason water damaged cars are only allowed salvage titles.  

Likely all components have corrosion and if you want reliability, you should replace the phone. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Phrozencrew
Token Ring
Views: 35,281
Message 4 of 23

If your phone get really wet (under water)  The only right thing to do is turning it off right away.

Then, iff possible,  remove the battery and shake the water out of the phone as much as posible then place the phone in a special bag or just in a big bowl of (unkooked) rice and close the bowl.  Wait for at least 48 hours before taking even a look at the phone.

If you have it then you better rinse the phone with demineralised water  (yes water) and then shake it dry and put it in the back or bowl with rice.

The real problem is not really the water but the minerals in the water, they mess up the circuitboard as long the minerals stay behind when you dry the phone, that is why rinsing it with demineralised water is so important.  (special when you dropped it in the toilet or the bathtub)

Not turning the phone off make that the minerals dry very fast and you never get them removed and the phone will not turn on again.

If you do this right away the change your phone survive is like 70%....   letting it on almost always let to the result you have found out.

If your phone is really dead you can try to rinse it and "wash" it with demineralised water by letting it soak for a few min then just shake the water out and dry it with the bag or rice.

Here a link where you can find more about the silica bags  http://silicagelpackets.com/save-that-wet-cell-phone-iphone-droid

Good luck......

The only right answer is the one that solves the problem !
Dani22
Paper Tape
Views: 35,098
Message 5 of 23

Hi Phrozencrew,
Thank you so much for the helpful information. I am going to try your suggestion. I am glad I decided to post in this forum.
I appreciate for taking the time to share the information.
Dan
Dani22
Paper Tape
Views: 35,096
Message 6 of 23

Thank you so much PacoJr67.
Dani22
Paper Tape
Views: 35,097
Message 7 of 23

Thank you so much AlphaDog.
Phrozencrew
Token Ring
Views: 35,089
Message 8 of 23

Your welcome,

If you wanne save time next time just say tnx to all Smiley Happy

I really hope it works,  nothing beats the feeling when a dead phone is reanimated........

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 35,083
Message 9 of 23

I agree. Good luck!

*the search bar is your friend*
-This is a peer to peer support forum, MOTOXPRTs are volunteers, not Motorola employees
Phrozencrew
Token Ring
Views: 35,055
Message 10 of 23

@pacoJr67,

Can you give me in a private message your Lenovo mail adress ?

Don't want to say in public.

Top Kudoed Authors