Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
riban
Paper Tape
Views: 1,069
Message 21 of 36

Re: Moto G5 4g/3G sim dual sim

There is a new firmware for the G5 in UK: NPP25.137-93. This does not resolve this issue, i.e. the SIM without data connection will not allow 3G data for voice calls or SMS as used by data-only providers such as '3' in the UK. This is really frustrating as I specifically bought the G5 for this purpose (dual SIM with Vodafone + 3 SIMs) based on this feature working in the G4 but am unable to receive calls or SMS on the 3 SIM whilst the Vodafone SIM has data enabled. I have read that this regression was resolved in a firmware release in India and expected it to be resolved in this update in the UK but the issue persists.

Why have Lenovo changed this behaviour for the G5? Why is it different for the G5 Plus? When will this issue be resolved?

Dosc
What's DOS?
Views: 991
Message 22 of 36

Sadly I got the following answer from Motorola/lenovo Support:

I have checked with my concerned team and see that the Ausdroid article [about 3G update on the 2nd sim] is from May 2017.
We are not aware that the Moto/Lenovo engineers are planning an update to enable the second SIM slot in the Moto G5 standard for 3G use.

So then - buy another phone...

Dosc

StevenEllis
Punch Card
Views: 963
Message 23 of 36

This is a real shame as a number of 2G networks are being turned off in my region.
Dosc
What's DOS?
Views: 957
Message 24 of 36

Same for me.

And I bought the phone because the battery is replacable und should have this capability (a test in the german computer journal c't said that dual 3g is possible). In addition the hardware seems to be capable, so its much more a pitty.

renegadeX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 937
Message 25 of 36

Motorola Jess,
this is not correct..... the MotoG5 is the phone we're referring to and it does not accept 3G in the second slot. The G5 plus does and G4 plus does. We G5 owners are waiting on the patch to upgrade this facility.

Based on our testing it looks like you're correct that the G5 will drop the 2nd SIM slot down to 2G where as the G5 Plus allows 3G for calls on the 2nd slot. Thanks for helping us clarify this. I'll pass this along to our engineers for consideration.
-Tom

Tom, Any news on this??? I just purchased a Moto G5 for the purpose of work/personal sims, and with the 2g being dropped, have I wasted my money???

renegadeX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 836
Message 26 of 36

Nobody??? Nobody???
PY73
What's DOS?
Views: 523
Message 27 of 36

This issue has been going on for 12 months now.  The Australian website for the Moto G5 (https://www.motorola.com.au/products/moto-g) continues to say "†† 4G/2G enabled. Upgradable to 4G/3G in the near future via software over the air." and yet no update. Bordering on deceptive and misleading conduct I would think.

riban
Paper Tape
Views: 386
Message 28 of 36

Another firmware update in UK (NPPS25.137-93-8) and again does not fix this regression. Next phone unlikely to be a Moto.

StevenEllis
Punch Card
Views: 382
Message 29 of 36

I've  had that update since April as it has the March security fixes. 

Personally I don't expect to see any changes until they release Oreo

JayC899
Paper Tape
Views: 227
Message 30 of 36

I have just hit this issue too (UK). Have got a 3 SIM to install in slot 2 as backup to my main network, but no good. I only need voice+text for the second SIM, but not an option if carrier doesn't support 2G.

This certainly was NOT clear when I bought the handset, and from the responses of the Lenovo staff in this thread, I'm not convinced that even they realized it until endusers highlighted it.

And if it's true that it is fixable in software but Lenovo has decided it's not worth their while, then this is even worse.

Very poor behaviour. I had been impressed by Motorola models I bought before the Lenovo acquisition, but if this is not fixed in the Oreo rollout, my next handset will be from elsewhere.

Top Kudoed Authors