Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hircum
Serial Port
Views: 6,635
Message 1 of 13

Moto G5: Camera Error - Please Restart Camera

I've had my Moto G5 for over 2 years, never had a camera problem, took last photos on 21st Feb 2019, now I'm getting the "Camera Error - Please Restart Camera" problem.

This affects both rear and front cameras; it appears it's working then at the last moment after taking the pic, the message is shown. I have an SD card in it that I've also had for over 2 years without a problem. No other apps, as far as I know, have a problem with the card, e.g. music on it plays ok and I can see existing photos ok.

I've tried:

• clearing camera cache
  • clearing camera data
  • rebooting in safe mode - problem still occurs
  • uninstalling (but not sure it actually uninstalled)
  • re-installing
  • updating

How can I cure this very annoying problem?

TIA!

jmpc
Paper Tape
Views: 6,376
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moto G5: Camera Error - Please Restart Camera

My problems started yesteraday following an auto update to the phone. I am based in the UK. Tried all the recommended solutions but nothing has worked ...very frustrating. 

hircum
Serial Port
Views: 6,363
Message 3 of 13

Update: Can't seem to connect phone via USB cable to PC

In order to check the SD Card, I tried connecting my G5 to my PC (windows 7 x64) via USB cable.

Nothing appeared to happen on my PC - i.e. no new USB device icon shown, no new drive letter shown, no indication that a new device was connected.

On my G5, no dialog appeared, but when I drag down the top, I see:

"Android system . charge this device"

I can then tap to display a "Use USB" menu, and select "Transfer files" - but this seems to have no effect either on the phone or PC.

hircum
Serial Port
Views: 6,332
Message 4 of 13

Update: phone connected to PC via USB cable - can't write

It seems something, such as Android 8 update or a security update, changed some of my phone's settings, because I needed to re-enable USB debugging in the Development settings to enable connection to my PC by USB cable.

I can now connect my G5 to my PC (windows 7 x64) via USB cable, and I see the device & it's SD card in Explorer, and can read files OK.

I tried deleting some files from the device/card and it appeared to work, but on refresh it seems they are still there.

So I can't delete.

I tried to copy a file (3kB) to the device/card, by dragging, and it said that the device had either stopped responding or was disconnected - which it wasn't as I could still read from it.

I also tried on the G5 to download a pic from google, which appeared to work but did not actually do so - no error was given but the operation evidently did not succeed because the download directory did not containt it - looking using the File Manager app.  Neither could I delete using the app.

So it seems my card is not writable for writes or deletes when in the phone.

Did some update set a write-protect flag??

hircum
Serial Port
Views: 6,313
Message 5 of 13

Can't mount SD card under Windows 7

I took the card out of the G5 and using an adapter tried to mount it under Windows 7 on my desktop PC.

It did not show up as a drive letter but the system did notice it was there.

Under disk management it was listed, the partitions were shown as ok but no file system for them was listed.

I tried to assign a drive letter but got an error (saying I had to refresh).

I tried another SD card the same way and it was mounted with a drive letter immediately.

I think the card may be corrupt - overheated perhaps?  The phone does get hot sometimes.

Next step is to re-direct the camera to internal storage, and try another card, but I don't have a spare card now.

hircum
Serial Port
Views: 6,299
Message 6 of 13

Camera is working when used with internal storage

G5 camera is now working - hurrah.

I backed up the card to my PC and changed G5 to use card as portable storage. Now the camera stores images on internal storage, it is working.

G5 can't format the sd card as portable storage, so I guess the card is fried.  New card ordered.

Maxell-LN
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,293
Message 7 of 13

Re: Camera is working when used with internal storage

Interested to know what card it was? Sandisk, Samsung?
hircum
Serial Port
Views: 6,277
Message 8 of 13

The fried card was:

SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC, A1 App Performance up to 98MB/s, Class 10, U1

& came with an SD adapter

It was fine for 2 years.

Maxell-LN
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,270
Message 9 of 13

Thanks, bought a 256 Gig sandisc miniSD for disc expansion, for loading up my flac library. Bought this around July last year, so I suppose I can expect use out of it until about July 2020. Had and old friend who had countless issues with miniSD cards dying, but I've already been through four (for upgrading rather then repairing), and I haven't had one card die on me yet. I've been using a mix of samsung and sandisc cards. Touch wood and cross my fingers. Smiley Happy
hircum
Serial Port
Views: 6,262
Message 10 of 13

Good luck with your cards, at least my 32GB was cheap.  My phone does get quite hot sometimes, so maybe the heat was a factor.  I use a separate music specific player too and never had a card go bad in that.

Top Kudoed Authors