Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

04-18-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

58 Signins

330 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 330
  • Message 1 of 42

Moto G5 Chrome Sluggish Freeze / Lag

2017-04-18, 7:56 AM

I'm having a problem with chrome on my Moto G5 (amazon uk model with 3GB RAM).

What I have is a simple web page with a basic form on it where I type a word in the form field and can then launch new taps for ebay searches, for active items, sold items, etc.

I've used this before with success on my previous phone, a Moto G3, but I'm experiencing a lot of lag with this on the G5. It's not entirely consistent but after I've opened several tabs, I'll find when going back to the original form it will be frozen for a few seconds - if I click in the form field the keyboard takes an age to pop up, if I click a button it just sits there for a few seconds. This sometimes happened after opening say 20 tabs on the G3 but it's happening regularly on the G5 and seems more persistent even after I close the built up list of tabs

I removed all CSS and anything other than basic Javascript from the form webpage to try and discount any problems with that.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? It's a bit annoying as performance was my main reason for upgrading, I just assumed that the new phone would be faster

Options

1325 Posts

01-16-2017

Philippines

278 Signins

37025 Page Views

• Views: 37025
  • Message 2 of 42

Re: Moto G5 Chrome Sluggish Freeze / Lag

2017-04-18, 15:30 PM

wrote:

I'm having a problem with chrome on my Moto G5 (amazon uk model with 3GB RAM).

What I have is a simple web page with a basic form on it where I type a word in the form field and can then launch new taps for ebay searches, for active items, sold items, etc.

I've used this before with success on my previous phone, a Moto G3, but I'm experiencing a lot of lag with this on the G5. It's not entirely consistent but after I've opened several tabs, I'll find when going back to the original form it will be frozen for a few seconds - if I click in the form field the keyboard takes an age to pop up, if I click a button it just sits there for a few seconds. This sometimes happened after opening say 20 tabs on the G3 but it's happening regularly on the G5 and seems more persistent even after I close the built up list of tabs

I removed all CSS and anything other than basic Javascript from the form webpage to try and discount any problems with that.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? It's a bit annoying as performance was my main reason for upgrading, I just assumed that the new phone would be faster

Hi motoGowner,

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your phone? Try to clear the data of that specific browser. Go to Settings > Apps > Chrome > Tap Storage > Manage Space > Clear Data. See if it works.

Regards,
Anne
Motorola Support

Options

26 Posts

04-18-2017

58 Signins

330 Page Views

• Message 3 of 42

2017-04-18, 17:15 PM

Thanks for your reply Anne! It looks like that will delete all my accounts, bookmarks and saved settings which sounds a bit drastic! Is there a less destructive way of doing this?

I have tried restarting the phone in safe mode and had the same problems. Also I do seem to get lag moving between tabs in general

Options

1325 Posts

01-16-2017

Philippines

278 Signins

37025 Page Views

• Message 4 of 42

2017-04-18, 17:35 PM

wrote:

Thanks for your reply Anne! It looks like that will delete all my accounts, bookmarks and saved settings which sounds a bit drastic! Is there a less destructive way of doing this?

I have tried restarting the phone in safe mode and had the same problems. Also I do seem to get lag moving between tabs in general

Hi motoGowner,

That is correct. If it happens specifically to your browser then you have to perform the step. But you can try to clear cache first and see if it works. ( Hope it does ).

-Anne

Options

26 Posts

04-18-2017

58 Signins

330 Page Views

• Message 5 of 42

2017-04-18, 19:21 PM

Thanks Anne, I already did clear cache partition, so it looks like I'll have to try this, but I'm going away for a week now and don't want to have to re-add all my usernames / passwords, etc when I haven't got access to my pc to double check, so I'll park this for now and leave it until I get back. I'll post again when I've done it. Thanks again for your help!

Options

1325 Posts

01-16-2017

Philippines

278 Signins

37025 Page Views

• Message 6 of 42

2017-04-18, 20:19 PM

wrote:

Thanks Anne, I already did clear cache partition, so it looks like I'll have to try this, but I'm going away for a week now and don't want to have to re-add all my usernames / passwords, etc when I haven't got access to my pc to double check, so I'll park this for now and leave it until I get back. I'll post again when I've done it. Thanks again for your help!

Hi motoGowner,

I understand. Feel free to post here as I can go back to check it. Thanks and safe trip!

-Anne

Options

47 Posts

04-06-2015

Estonia

54 Signins

344 Page Views

• Views: 344
  • Message 7 of 42

2017-04-19, 4:39 AM

Anne, i am having this problem, too. And reset does not make anything better.

Options

1325 Posts

01-16-2017

Philippines

278 Signins

37025 Page Views

• Message 8 of 42

2017-04-19, 16:40 PM

kordo wrote:

Anne, i am having this problem, too. And reset does not make anything better.

Hi kordo,

Did you perform Factory reset without restoring apps? 

-Anne

Options

14 Posts

04-04-2017

Estonia

16 Signins

122 Page Views

• Views: 122
  • Message 9 of 42

2017-04-19, 17:09 PM

I never restore any apps - because the reasons for reset are simple: something is wrong. Restoring apps sometimes restores bugs and this is why I never restore apps. I always just install them from Google Play. And I have only few apps anyway: Settings -> Apps says that I have 64 apps, and that includes preinstalled ones.

Also, please note: this is something that people seem to call microstutter. It is certain jerkiness when scrolling and it seems that Moto G-s have had it almost always.

However, I believe, it would be possible to correct it and it would be nice if your product development would try to correct it. It is not single device problem, it is a systematic error.

Options

26 Posts

04-18-2017

58 Signins

330 Page Views

• Message 10 of 42

2017-04-19, 19:02 PM

I can see a factory reset in my near future!

To be clear, this is literally a 5 second plus freeze when returning to my original form tab, 5 seconds before responding to a simple form button click or returning focus to a form field. In my possibly simple way of looking at it, it's giving too much priority to what's happening in the background tabs after moving away from them.

I had a moto G2 and G3 before and it is considerably worse than the G3, the G2 was not so good at multitasking in general.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms