Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbfacefirst
Paper Tape
Views: 53,236
Message 1 of 38

Moto G5 - Compatible SD Card for Internal Storage

Hi all, I have a Moto G5 in the UK and needed to extend the storage so I purchase a Toshiba 32GB Micro SD Class 10, UHS-I Speed class 3 (M302-EA).

When using in the phone, it reports the storage as too slow, and after formatting it shows as corrupt

I tried a plain Class 10 Sandisk Ultra from another phone and it formats fine and doesnt complain about speed.

Is there a compatibility issue with UHS-I devices, because they are also Class 10, but just with faster supported write speeds? I tried online Moto support but to be honest they didnt know what they were talking about - they said they only support UHS-I Speed class 1 after initially saying anything will work, but this doesnt  make sense to me because its the same technology.

It could well be that I have a dodgy memory card, but I dont want to buy another UHS-I type if its a compatibility problem.

Thanks

Mark

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 52,965
Message 2 of 38

Re: Moto G5 - Compatible SD Card for Internal Storage

Hi mbfacefirst,

We recommend customers using a Class 10 sd card for our phones.  Here is the link to know more how sd cards work on this phone. https://motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/110254/p/30,6720,96...

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

mbfacefirst
Paper Tape
Views: 52,949
Message 3 of 38

Thanks for the reponse Jess - if you read the page you sent me it specifies UHS-I to be used for internal storage.

It doesn't mention whether the speed class of 1 or 3 is relevant though.

This is the confusion I have - there doesnt seem to be a clear message what is correctly supported/expected

You say Class 10, but the documentation you sent me says that's not enough - it also needs to be UHS-I

-Mark

jessdancing
Paper Tape
Views: 44,984
Message 4 of 38

Hi Jess,   can you help me with a few issues with my moto G5 plus?    I am using this reply function as I cannot figure out how to start my own question.

1)  Will the phone allow file transfer between my pc and the phone using usb cord. 

2.  In the non adaptive state will a SD card allow the phone to play movies and files on the phone?   

3) Other phones have allowed me to store converted media on a SD card and then insert the card into the phone and the phone will play the media without using up internal memory.   This media may be just notes, or lectures, or converted movies or music.  Can the phone do these functions from a card formatted for file storage? 

4.  I have used VZN with past phones for WiFi assisted calling but cannot find this function on the phone.  Does this phone do this with a provider such as VZN that definately has this function?  If so how can I start it.  It is not a provided function with the phone apparently.   Please help.  I have to decide if I am going to keep this phone soon.  Thanks!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 44,672
Message 5 of 38

Hi jessdancing,

I appreciate you have one of our phones. Seems that all of these are possible with this phone.

1. Yes, you can transfer files from your PC to your phone. There would be a USB notification which will appear on your device once it is connected to your PC through USB cord and select MTP or Media Transfer Protocol.

2. Yes, media files such as videos saved on your SD card will be able to be played on your phone.

3. Yes, same as number 2. Media files saved on your SD card will be played on your phone. 

4. This phone is compatible with Verizon but it only works for VOLTE/ Enhanced 4G LTE mode.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Dirksche
Paper Tape
Views: 43,066
Message 6 of 38

@mbfacefirst wrote:

Hi all, I have a Moto G5 in the UK and needed to extend the storage so I purchase a Toshiba 32GB Micro SD Class 10, UHS-I Speed class 3 (M302-EA).

When using in the phone, it reports the storage as too slow, and after formatting it shows as corrupt

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same phone (Moto G5 bought in the UK) and card (Toshiba 32GB microSDHC UHS-I card M302-EA EXCERIA UHS Speed Class 3 CLASS (10)) and I'm having exactly the same problems as Mark. A shame that I didn't see this post before I've bought the Toshiba card.

When I tried to use it as internal memory (tried about four or more times), it showes that transfering the files failed, but when watching closely, it shows shortly a message that there's not sufficient memory available on the card. When I put it back into a Windows laptop, I see two partitions. A very small one (only a few MB in size) and a large one. Is this normal? Anyway, I've deleted the partitions with the Disk Manager and created a single large one.

When I try to use it as removabal storage and put 8GB movies, 3x200MB offline translation files and 60 to 200MB offline maps on it, then after a while (can be after a day or after a restart), ether Google Map shows that the offline map is corrupted and needs to be downloaded again or the phone states that the card is corrupted and wants to reformat it to solve this issue. When the phone states that the card is corrupted, the Windows 10 laptop recognises the card fine and chkdsk does not find any problems.

To confirm that the card is not a fake and not broken, I've run tests with h2testw.exe v1.4 on my Windows 10 laptop.

Here are the results (the German text states the write and read rates):

------------------------------------------------------------------

In Original Toshiba SD card adapter in SD slot of Sony Vaio latop:
Schreibrate: 19,1 MByte/s
Leserate: 21,0 MByte/s

In Kingston Multi-Card Reader FCR-HS4 conntected to USB3 port of Sony Vaio latop:
Schreibrate: 26,1 MByte/s
Leserate: 74,9 MByte/s

In both cases h2testw.exe state that no errors have been found.

The fact that it achieves a read rate of 74,9 MByte/s and that no errors are found, proves that the card is a Genuine Toshiba card and not a fake.

I've wasted loads of time investigating why the card is not working and now found out that other people like Mark have exactly the same problem and that it seems to be a problem with the phone and not with the card.

Best Regards,

Dirk

Phrozencrew
Token Ring
Views: 43,062
Message 7 of 38

Dunno what you call a fast card but every card with a writespeed below 45mb/s is a "slow"card and will give problems when used as internal storage.

besides, testing cards with an USB adapter don't give you the right speed..... only if you also disable  all the buffers your OS is using when it access the external storage.  You will see that if you read and write the card direct the speed is way lower.

By default windows is using a read/write buffer for all storage not only the USB ports....

The only right answer is the one that solves the problem !
Dirksche
Paper Tape
Views: 42,931
Message 8 of 38

@Dirksche wrote:

@mbfacefirst wrote:

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same phone (Moto G5 bought in the UK) and card (Toshiba 32GB microSDHC UHS-I card M302-EA EXCERIA UHS Speed Class 3 CLASS (10)) and I'm having exactly the same problems as Mark. A shame that I didn't see this post before I've bought the Toshiba card.

When I tried to use it as internal memory (tried about four or more times), it showes that transfering the files failed, but when watching closely, it shows shortly a message that there's not sufficient memory available on the card. When I put it back into a Windows laptop, I see two partitions. A very small one (only a few MB in size) and a large one. Is this normal? Anyway, I've deleted the partitions with the Disk Manager and created a single large one.

When I try to use it as removabal storage and put 8GB movies, 3x200MB offline translation files and 60 to 200MB offline maps on it, then after a while (can be after a day or after a restart), ether Google Map shows that the offline map is corrupted and needs to be downloaded again or the phone states that the card is corrupted and wants to reformat it to solve this issue. When the phone states that the card is corrupted, the Windows 10 laptop recognises the card fine and chkdsk does not find any problems.

To confirm that the card is not a fake and not broken, I've run tests with h2testw.exe v1.4 on my Windows 10 laptop.

I've wasted loads of time investigating why the card is not working and now found out that other people like Mark have exactly the same problem and that it seems to be a problem with the phone and not with the card.

Best Regards,

Dirk

Dear all,

Today, I've bought a SanDisk Ultra microSDHC UHS-I Card with 32GB and speed up to 80MB/s 555x.

I've done exactly the same as I've tried already yesterday with the Toshiba card.

I've put 3x 200MB offline translation files, a 70MB offline map and about 8GB movies onto it.

To my surprise, now MXPlayer recognised all movies and plays them fine Smiley Happy Yesterday with the Toshiba card MXPlayer only showed black rectangles for the preview and when I tried to play a movie, MXPlayer crashed. On the (Toshiba) card the movie files have still been binary identical (checked with BeyondCompare) to the original files on my laptop. So there was no reason why MXPlayer shouldn't play them and I've even sent a bug report to the makers of MXPlayer.

Now it turned out that the problem was not with MXPlayer, but with the phone not being able to correctly read the Toshiba card.

So it seems that with the SanDisk card in my Moto G5 everything is now working fine.

I've also powered down the phone and started it up again. No corruption of the SD card has been reported (so far; and I hope it stays so Smiley Wink)

I think Lenovo should look into why the Toshiba M302-EA EXCERIA UHS Speed Class 3 card is not working correctly in their phones.

Best Regards,

Dirk

By the way, if someone is interested in the speed test results of the SanDisk card (I've stated these from the Toshiba card in my previous post), here they are:

In Original SanDisk SD card adapter in SD slot of Sony Vaio latop:
Schreibrate: 14,8 MByte/s
Leserate: 21,3 MByte/s

In Kingston Multi-Card Reader FCR-HS4 conntected to USB3 port of Sony Vaio latop:
Schreibrate: 15,0 MByte/s
Leserate: 73,9 MByte/s

BasiUniverse
What's DOS?
Views: 36,823
Message 9 of 38

I'm glad that I research on Google and find this. I have a G5 Plus and I'm searching for an SD Card because with all the photos and videos I'm getting short with the 32GB of internal space. I'm going to buy the "SanDisk® 32GB microSDHC 533x (80 MB/s) Class 10 Ultra". I think also on the Extreme Pro, but the shop where I always buy tech only have it on 8GB and I though that's not enough. Anyway, thanks for all the info!

f1vefour
SCSI Port
Views: 36,760
Message 10 of 38

I have a 128GB Transcend that will not work as internal storage and as external storage it is very slow (2 - 10 megabyte/s).

I haven't tested the speed but it took more than 2 hours to copy 32GB from internal 64GB storage on the Plus.

Top Kudoed Authors