09-15-2020

GB

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 2

Moto G5 Crashing Into A Restart Loop

2020-09-15, 8:30 AM

Hi all, I would appreciate any help on this issue. 

I have no idea which of this information is relevant or not, so I'll just try and give you everything.

It's really two separate issues, that I started noticing at about the same time, which was many months ago (pre-covid for sure). 

Firstly, and the most common issue. My phone will sometimes restart itself (although not displaying the fancy backflip/frog/similar images) and then getting stuck on a screen repeatedly flipping back and forth between the Moto and Lenovo logos. It seems to do this primarily when the phone is idling or on standby, very rarely (if at all) has it happened when I'm actively using the phone.

I can fix this issue by holding down the power button for a long time, then turning my phone back on. 

Although this is obviously a frustrating issue with a slow fix waiting for it to shutdown and reboot.

The other, rarer, issue is that sometimes it won't unlock. I can enter my pattern lock (correctly or incorrectly doesn't matter) and it will just sit there for several seconds until the phone auto-standbys again. I can enter the code again and again for the same results. The fingerprint scanner is also totally unresponsive in these instances.

My fix is to restart the phone and hope it works next time (sometimes I might have to restart two or three times).

My google-fu has failed to uncover a thread describing an identical issue, and after my phone crashing right before catching the bus (e-ticket) nearly left me stranded in the middle of the night, I really need this resolved now.

In total these issues are probably occurring about none and three-four times a day, normally on the lower end. So very inconsistent with no discernible trigger.

My phone's internal storage is 7.81GB filled out of 10.63GB, with another 1.95GB on a 14.45GB MicroSD. I've already trimmed out all the apps I don't really want and hope this isn't the issue. 

After this issue started cropping up, I installed a phone cleaner app which helped me clear out a lot of the cache, although this doesn't seem to have had an effect. This app also tells me my phone is normally at about 72% RAM and 44% ROM usage.

I tried booting my phone in Safemode and this appeared to fix the issue (although I didn't really test it long enough to absolutely confirm), although every third party app I have on my phone currently was also on my phone before this issue started occurring (other than the phone cleaner which I installed after the issue started occurring). 

Again, I would sincerely appreciate any help resolving this.

Regards, JonDal

Options

2679 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

361 Signins

24815 Page Views

• Views: 24815
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Moto G5 Crashing Into A Restart Loop

2020-09-15, 10:12 AM

@ JonDal wrote:

Hi all, I would appreciate any help on this issue. 

I have no idea which of this information is relevant or not, so I'll just try and give you everything.

It's really two separate issues, that I started noticing at about the same time, which was many months ago (pre-covid for sure). 

Firstly, and the most common issue. My phone will sometimes restart itself (although not displaying the fancy backflip/frog/similar images) and then getting stuck on a screen repeatedly flipping back and forth between the Moto and Lenovo logos. It seems to do this primarily when the phone is idling or on standby, very rarely (if at all) has it happened when I'm actively using the phone.

I can fix this issue by holding down the power button for a long time, then turning my phone back on. 

Although this is obviously a frustrating issue with a slow fix waiting for it to shutdown and reboot.

The other, rarer, issue is that sometimes it won't unlock. I can enter my pattern lock (correctly or incorrectly doesn't matter) and it will just sit there for several seconds until the phone auto-standbys again. I can enter the code again and again for the same results. The fingerprint scanner is also totally unresponsive in these instances.

My fix is to restart the phone and hope it works next time (sometimes I might have to restart two or three times).

My google-fu has failed to uncover a thread describing an identical issue, and after my phone crashing right before catching the bus (e-ticket) nearly left me stranded in the middle of the night, I really need this resolved now.

In total these issues are probably occurring about none and three-four times a day, normally on the lower end. So very inconsistent with no discernible trigger.

My phone's internal storage is 7.81GB filled out of 10.63GB, with another 1.95GB on a 14.45GB MicroSD. I've already trimmed out all the apps I don't really want and hope this isn't the issue. 

After this issue started cropping up, I installed a phone cleaner app which helped me clear out a lot of the cache, although this doesn't seem to have had an effect. This app also tells me my phone is normally at about 72% RAM and 44% ROM usage.

I tried booting my phone in Safemode and this appeared to fix the issue (although I didn't really test it long enough to absolutely confirm), although every third party app I have on my phone currently was also on my phone before this issue started occurring (other than the phone cleaner which I installed after the issue started occurring). 

Again, I would sincerely appreciate any help resolving this.

Regards, JonDal

Hi,

Sorry to know about your concerns and thanks for letting us know. My best advice in this situation is that you check your device in Safe Mode and observe it for some time. It could be that one of the third-party app's cache may be causing this. I would suggest you check for some time and see if the issue occurs, if not, try uninstalling the third-party apps and check.

Or, you can perform a Factory Data Reset without an automatic restore by taking a back up of your contacts and data. Performing a Factory Data Reset will start the device afresh and you can re-install all the necessary apps back. 

I, personally recommend performing an FDR, it is always good to perform a reset once in a while.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete