cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simmo16v
Paper Tape
Views: 4,906
Message 1 of 14

Moto G5 Dual Sim UK model 4G/2G When is software update due for 4G/3G?

I have recently purchased a Moto G5 dual sim phone in the UK.

Initially I was quite pleased with it, but was having a major issue in not getting the second sim to work.

After a lot of research, It turns out that sim slot 2 is currently only 2G, so useless on the Three network, and soon to be out of date for use in the UK as 2G is slowly shut down.

Looking on the internet, this is a problem in other countries, and in Australia, the G5 dual sim phone is listed in the specs as:

[quote]

"*Disclaimer – 4G/2G enabled
Upgradable to 4G/3G in the near future via software over
the air"

[/quote]

Also, from another forum where it is being discussed:

[quote]

After launching the Moto G5 late last month, with a 4G/2G setup for their Dual-SIM handset, Motorola Australia has advised Ausdroid that the testing to update the phone to a 4G/3G capable dual-SIM setup is now underway.

In a statement given to Ausdroid, Motorola Australia said:

“We are still going through the rounds of testing certification at a global level and local level before we can commit to a date. As we get closer to the OTA push out we will notify everyone via social media and PR announcement.”

Australia’s three mobile telcos are progressively shutting down their 2G services. Telstra has already done so, Optus is partly done and Vodafone plans to do so by September 2017.

Ausdroid’s review of the Moto G5 did state that the second SIM has hardware capable of 3G but needed a software patch to enable that.

Several readers have expressed disappointment that Motorola didn’t include a note in the packaging advising that the Moto G5 was SIM1 4G/SIM2 2G out of the box, with a 2nd SIM 3G enabling software update coming soon.

We hope that the software update is available quickly, and will advise when Motorola has further updates.

Readers have advised that the Moto G5 Plus dual SIM 4G/3G feature does work out of the box,

without need for a patch. [/quote]

So does anyone know when this update is likely to happen?

If it is soon I will hang on to my phone, if it is months away I might be returning it and asking for a refund.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,787
Message 2 of 14

Re: Moto G5 Dual Sim UK model 4G/2G When is software update due for 4G/3G?

@Simmo16v wrote:

I have recently purchased a Moto G5 dual sim phone in the UK.

Initially I was quite pleased with it, but was having a major issue in not getting the second sim to work.

After a lot of research, It turns out that sim slot 2 is currently only 2G, so useless on the Three network, and soon to be out of date for use in the UK as 2G is slowly shut down.

Looking on the internet, this is a problem in other countries, and in Australia, the G5 dual sim phone is listed in the specs as:

[quote]

"*Disclaimer – 4G/2G enabled
Upgradable to 4G/3G in the near future via software over
the air"

[/quote]

Also, from another forum where it is being discussed:

[quote]

After launching the Moto G5 late last month, with a 4G/2G setup for their Dual-SIM handset, Motorola Australia has advised Ausdroid that the testing to update the phone to a 4G/3G capable dual-SIM setup is now underway.

In a statement given to Ausdroid, Motorola Australia said:

“We are still going through the rounds of testing certification at a global level and local level before we can commit to a date. As we get closer to the OTA push out we will notify everyone via social media and PR announcement.”

Australia’s three mobile telcos are progressively shutting down their 2G services. Telstra has already done so, Optus is partly done and Vodafone plans to do so by September 2017.

Ausdroid’s review of the Moto G5 did state that the second SIM has hardware capable of 3G but needed a software patch to enable that.

Several readers have expressed disappointment that Motorola didn’t include a note in the packaging advising that the Moto G5 was SIM1 4G/SIM2 2G out of the box, with a 2nd SIM 3G enabling software update coming soon.

We hope that the software update is available quickly, and will advise when Motorola has further updates.

Readers have advised that the Moto G5 Plus dual SIM 4G/3G feature does work out of the box,

without need for a patch. [/quote]

So does anyone know when this update is likely to happen?

If it is soon I will hang on to my phone, if it is months away I might be returning it and asking for a refund.

Hi Simmo16v,

I wish I could say that it will on this specific "x" date, but I can't. We do not have this information. We will post back in our official social media channels and website once we have more information.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

StevenEllis
Punch Card
Views: 4,751
Message 3 of 14

I've also got an XT1676 from Amazon UK which I use in the UK and NZ. I'd really appreciate an update on any firmware, not just the 3G fix.

UkG5
What's DOS?
Views: 4,326
Message 4 of 14

JM, 

Any update on when 3G/4G functionality will be enabled?

Thanks,

Spannaworks
Paper Tape
Views: 3,098
Message 5 of 14

Hi Jim,

In an email conversation with Motorola Support in June this year, they suggested the update would be released "later this year". It's now 17 days until the end of "this year" and still no update. 

Perhaps Motorola should be providing a free Moto G5 Plus replacement to those of us who purchased the Moto G5 expecting dual sim capability yet have no clear timeframe for when this promised feature will be delivered. 

Spies
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,686
Message 6 of 14

27th December and still no update, they don't give a **bleep** about their loyal customers.

David789
What's DOS?
Views: 2,409
Message 7 of 14

Feeling I brought a dud unknowlingly trying to use my G5 in Australia. Is the patch for the 2G ever going to happen as I need to think about getting a dual sim phone that does more than provide storage for the second sim?

Keefley
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 2,401
Message 8 of 14

Moto/Lenovo no longer have partner support in th UK.

Without this there will be no security updates, no Oreo, and no update to fix the dual sim issue.

Unknow
802.11n
Views: 2,400
Message 9 of 14

There will be no update for Motorola phones in the UK.

I did try to explain why but the good people on this forum simply did remove the post and topic, they really don,t like people telling what is going on..

Kind of sad for the users but as long this is an US based forum, censorship will rule, and they hide behind "forum rules" 

sounds familiar????

Al I can suggest is keep starting topics with the quistion why the UK don't get any updates.....  sooner or later the truth will come out and the UK users will be informed....

Keefley
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 2,395
Message 10 of 14

Good work Unknow - I'm following you lead and replying to similar questions where possible.

Moto/Lenovo can delete as many posts as they like - until they admit the situation or find a solution the facts (and associated toxic PR) will keep coming out.

Top Kudoed Authors