12-02-2018 03:51 PM - edited 12-02-2018 03:52 PM
Today's development: I spoke with the Moto G5 Plus (aka G5+) owner and forwarded them this page link. We're both business people and have come to the conclusion that handing over Lenovo/Moto another $93.75 (that was their "best possible resolution" by the way, ha ha), would as they say, "be throwing good money at bad money".
The owner agrees that it's smarter to take the ~$300 loss now, and scrap the phone for whatever we can get for it. It doesn't make good business sense to add another ~$100, and now have a $400 phone, that could possibly need another ~$100 repair eighteen months from now. And if that repair only lasts another 18 months, we could be looking at a $500 total investment in a 5 year period for a $300 mid-class phone. Not worth it and not worth the aggravation.
Regards . . .
I agree with your asssesment....and that is what they WANT!
You go out and buy a new phone -- they no longer have to support it, and Android sells you another license....you may even buy another Motorola......everyone wins except the customer here.
This whole "upgrade" scheme is -- in my opinion -- "planned obsolesence" at its very best.
Shame on them.
12-03-2018 04:41 AM - edited 12-03-2018 04:42 AM
A Correction to the Original Post:
In the interest of information accuracy, I'm making the following addendum/correction to my original post of 11/24/2018 (I would just edit that post but Edit is no longer available) :
I said, "I noticed that the LCD glass on the phone was bulging swelling expanding lifting up about 4mm on bother sides of the phone." That is incorrect becuase I was reading the "16th Inch" side of my ruler, and not the millimemeter side.
As of today, it should correctly read, "I noticed that the LCD glass on the phone was bulging swelling expanding lifting up 2mm on the power button side of the phone, and 1mm on the the other side (see picture attached." It's still a FAIL any way you look at it.
Sorry for the oversight.
12-06-2018 06:43 AM
Your story, and two others found just like it online made me concerned so.....I called Moto.
I spent a considerable amount of time on the phone yesterday with a Moto level 3 tech supervisor.
After we got through all of his recitation of the boilerplate he has to say (inclduing the part about how technically Moto and Android own the rights to change the phone you and I bought at ANY time and if it bricks, well, that is just the lumps that come with thye contract you and I "sign" when we spend our hard earned money on one of these devices), he basically said he understood what I was saying but that "it is what it is". We discussed options and he confirmed that if my phone were to brick, and if my phone were under warranty, I would eventually get a refurbished (someone else's problem phone) in exchange that they would set up and test. It would have the remainder of any orginal warranty of my original phone.
HE also confirmed that eventually the OS "upgrade" would happen automatically -- which is exactly what happened to my Samsung $800+ flagship phone which bricked it out of warranty.
So it made sense to try it now rather than wait.
Did the update yesterday. It said it would take 10 minutes....more like 30......and thats with clearing my cache and uninstalling most of my apps and then restarting.
So far, things work ok. It didnt brick so far. It did feel hot while doing the "upgrade".
Nothing new that makes any difference to me so far to have wanted to go thru the risk, other than now I wont see all the notifications to "upgrade to oreo".
Battery life, though, so far seems worse....charged it to 100% after the update and was at less than 50% by a few hours later , albeit that with some email and text usage along with Pandora/bluetooth.
100% charge this morning when I left my house and was already down to 90%. an hour later after my commute....All I was doing was using Pandora to play music via bluetooth because I was driving -- no texts, no emails etc.. Before the "upgrade" I would be at 97% after my commute. Dropped down to 89% after sitting idle for a good 45 minutes. So I guess time will tell, hopefully it will stablize.
Going to start installing my required apps again and see what happens.
I am praying it all settles out and that I can just use my phone as-is for a long time.