Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 92
Message 21 of 26

Re: Moto G5+ G5 Plus Battery Swelling Bulging Lifting Screen up 4mm. What????

HI,

If anyone's interested, here's a couple pics from the battery replacment I did on the battery-defective Motorola Moto G5+ yesterday. Fyi, the new battery is ~.16inch (4mm). The defective original battery is now .39" think (10mm).

Moto G5+ - OEM Defective Battery Swollen - IMG_20181124_125713844_HDR.jpgP.O.S. OEM Moto G5+ Battery

There must be some significant pressure inside that battery package when it's still inside the phone given that:

1) it was compressed inside that metal backed phone, and

2) it takes a heat gun to remove the front glass assembly.

Look at it this way, the package is 10mm thick removed form the phone. The swollen battery lifted the glass up ~2mm. Do the math: 10mm - 2mm = 6mm of compression on that battery inside the case. 

I'm not a chemist, but doesn't putting a charged lithium battery under pressure sound like a recipe to make something explode?

Hum . . .

BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 66
Message 22 of 26

Fyi, here's a little WARNING from Macworld ( https://www.macworld.com/article/3162109/beware-the-bulgy-battery-lithium-ion-batteries-removed-from... ) :

"Don’t charge or use it at all, because lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries that are bulging have already bypassed built-in safeguards and are swollen with gases. Continued charging or use could lead to a runaway reaction that results in a fire or an explosion."

Greg_Dodd
SCSI Port
Views: 63
Message 23 of 26

How difficult was the battery replacement? The fingerprint sensor removal and re-install looks kind of tedious. I have bad arthritis in my fingers and they don't bend well so I am hesitant to attempt. Phone has been great up until 2 weeks ago. Repair center wants $90.00 with no guarantee the screen won't break.

BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 56
Message 24 of 26

Hi Greg_Dodd,

Like most of the new phones these days, the battery replacement is extremely tedious. Given the unneccessary strength of the non-UV adhesive under that glass, you will likely damage the LCD digitizer as well just trying to get that off (yes, heat gun required). If you research you will find that there is no cell phone manufacurer that is making a current phone with a replaceable battery. This is a great opportuity for a Chinese company to make a phone that you don't have to pay twice for. I'm almost certain that burying these batteries at the very bottom of of the phone "stack", and sealing them in there from the front glass, is nothing short of an additional revenue stream for the manufacturers.

You best bet is to bend over and take it this time, and send it in for ~$125 "battery maintenance". Btw, that battery cost me about $12 delivered. But for next time . . .

Research for a company with 1) great customer service that will 2) admit when they've sold you a pile of sh__ and will clean up their mess to keep you as a long term customer. Like I said in an earlier post, not only have they lost my cell phojne business permanently, I no longer advise my IT customers to buy their (parent company) Lenovo computing products either. The Motorola and Lenovo excutives must have skipped class the day that Marketing 101 taught "one dissatisfied customer will cost you 20 new ones".

Regards . . .

BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19
Message 25 of 26

Hi Lenovo Community,

Check this out: Now that I replaced the battery and the phone is operational again, the new user says the media volume is too low to hear music. The new user said that the old user comlained about this too. So I go looking to see if this is a known issue. Talk about a known issue, here's 34 pages of known issue with no remedy for the owners : Moto G5+ Low Volume During Calls via earpiece and speaker . Please don't discuss that "low volume" issue in this thread. I only posted here to illuminate the unacceptable customer service that we "G5+ bad battery" customers are experiencing is not specific to our problem.

The good news: It's been three days with the new battery, and nothing else has failed yet. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Regards . . .

BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17
Message 26 of 26

Correction: Above I said, "Given the unneccessary strength of the non-UV adhesive under that glass, you will likely damage the LCD digitizer as well just trying to get that off (yes, heat gun required)."  That statement was made in error: Today I found that my heat gun needed calibrated, so I was not getting enough heat to soften the adhesive. yes, we would not want low temperarture adhesive in this application. Please do not discuss the heat gun issue in this thread. I only mention it to correct the record.

Regards . . .

Top Kudoed Authors