cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 421
Message 1 of 13

Moto G5+ G5 Plus Battery Swelling Bulging Lifting Screen up 4mm. What????

Hi Motorola and Moto Community,

A relative of mine has a Moto G5+ Motorola G5 Plus Lunar Grey. Yesterday I was updating their phone to Oreo and that finished just fine. As I was holding the phone to look at the new Android features, I noticed that the LCD glass on the phone was bulging swelling expanding lifting up about 4mm on bother sides of the phone. Whoa! Even though the phone was not having any software problems or even very warm after the upgrade, I powered it off immediately. My experience as an IT consultant tells me that this is a defective lithium battery in a dangerous condition (ie. ready for fire and/or explosion). It's a wonder it didn't burn their house down.

As a favor, I bring the phone back to my office. The phone was purchased new direct from a well-known cellular carrier in April 2017. It sits on the counter as a backup phone and has maybe 20 hours total time on it. Today I called Motorola support for a free replacement due to shipping a defective product. After escalation to the next supervisor, I'm told they very best Motorola can do is offer a discount off their normal "out of warranty" replacement cost of $125. I explained that when I'm shipped defective product, that's relatively new (ie 18 months), I expect it to be replaced at no cost to me whatsoever. The warranty support person said they can't accommodate me. I politely replied that I however, could accommodate Motorola by no longer recommending their products to my clients.

Has anyone else had Motorola OEM battery swelling bulging expanding lifting in any recent Motorola phone that's damaged their phone like this battery did? If so, did the battery pop up the glass like on this phone? Did anyone have damage to persons or other property as a result of this defect? A web search says this phone does not have user replaceable batteries. Did the swell bulge expand lift of your battery also damage your Moto phone?

This is not a normal wear and tear technology failure. I've attached a picture and appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Regards . . .

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 313
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moto G5+ G5 Plus Battery Swelling Bulging Lifting Screen up 4mm. What????

@BretAB wrote:

Hi Motorola and Moto Community,

A relative of mine has a Moto G5+ Motorola G5 Plus Lunar Grey. Yesterday I was updating their phone to Oreo and that finished just fine. As I was holding the phone to look at the new Android features, I noticed that the LCD glass on the phone was bulging swelling expanding lifting up about 4mm on bother sides of the phone. Whoa! Even though the phone was not having any software problems or even very warm after the upgrade, I powered it off immediately. My experience as an IT consultant tells me that this is a defective lithium battery in a dangerous condition (ie. ready for fire and/or explosion). It's a wonder it didn't burn their house down.

As a favor, I bring the phone back to my office. The phone was purchased new direct from a well-known cellular carrier in April 2017. It sits on the counter as a backup phone and has maybe 20 hours total time on it. Today I called Motorola support for a free replacement due to shipping a defective product. After escalation to the next supervisor, I'm told they very best Motorola can do is offer a discount off their normal "out of warranty" replacement cost of $125. I explained that when I'm shipped defective product, that's relatively new (ie 18 months), I expect it to be replaced at no cost to me whatsoever. The warranty support person said they can't accommodate me. I politely replied that I however, could accommodate Motorola by no longer recommending their products to my clients.

Has anyone else had Motorola OEM battery swelling bulging expanding lifting in any recent Motorola phone that's damaged their phone like this battery did? If so, did the battery pop up the glass like on this phone? Did anyone have damage to persons or other property as a result of this defect? A web search says this phone does not have user replaceable batteries. Did the swell bulge expand lift of your battery also damage your Moto phone?

This is not a normal wear and tear technology failure. I've attached a picture and appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Regards . . .

Hi BretAB,

Greetings from Motorola,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Your safety is our utmost concern & we understand your concern. As per the service records we see that our team has provided with the best possible resolution, please let us know if you are feasible with it.

Here is the reference number: 181125-002750

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support 

BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 304
Message 3 of 13

Hi Lenovo-Moto Support,

Thank you for the reply. Do you honestly consider that offering me a discount on an expensive repair charge that I should not even have to deal with on an 18 month old phone, a "best possible resolution"?

When Samsung and Nokia sold phones with bad batteries, did they charge their customers to remedy the repair? No! They were glad to get them off the streets and out of the air before they caused more damage.

I would like to offer you one more chance to clear up this situation and keep my future business. Either repairing this phone or providing a replacement at no change whatsoever will be acceptable. Even a reconditioned phone will be ok as long as it doesn't have the glass popping off the phone like this one does.

The ball is in your court again to provide good customer service and stand behind your products' quality. I would appreciate that you reconsider your offer.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards . . .
BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 263
Message 4 of 13

Hi Lenovo-Moto Support,

While you're thinking about the potential public relations fallout from my as yet unresolved issue, here's a recent true story about my warranty experience with a company that had a product that developed a bad lithium battery pack:

In 2015 I purchased a quality handy vac (not cheap junk) with a lithium battery pack from a leading appliance manufacturer. This product would vacuum strong and long without almost not noticeable reduction in speed for 20 minutes at least.

About 4 weeks ago, I was using it and after about a minute, it stopped dead in it's tracks. No motor action at all. I took it apart to have a look. The batteries in the pack were encased in a serviceable package. I opened that package and there were maybe 8 cells and an electronics controller board. I tested each cell and they all were at fully rated charge. That indicated the board had failed while I was using it, and not the cells. 

Given 3 years (and not 18 months) of use, wear and tear, and a long expired warranty, I emailed the company to get a price on the whole battery back or possibly just the board. When they replied they asked for my address and said they'd send me a new battery pack and was sorry I had the problem to begin with.

Five days later the UPS delivery truck pulled up. To my complete astonishment, I had just received a complete new retail packaged box of the entire handy vac! Not just the battery pack, but the whole enchilada! With a new warranty to boot!

Motorola, that is what standing behind your product and customer service is all about. I will continue to seek out, recommend and buy that company's product lines until the day I die.

Wouldn't you like the public and I to also reflect on your products the same way?

Going once, going twice, going three times. You're . . . ?

BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 239
Message 5 of 13

. . .  Your OUT OF HERE!

I just had a "Lenovo for Small Business" email come in. What do you think the chances are that I'm ever going to look at those emails again?

You've made yout bed. Now it's time for you to lay in it.

Ta Ta Lenovo/Mororola

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 187
Message 6 of 13

We understand your sentiment and will respect your decision. We have your case information and see your issue. We found out that you have been working with our escalations team towards the resolution of this concern. They are the proper team to handle this.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

scumbuster
SCSI Port
Views: 152
Message 7 of 13

Bret -- I am as frustrated as you are on this....

I had my Samsung Note 4 brick itself due to a forced update to nougat. I had the phone for almost two years with NO ISSUES to speak of.....then after a forced ugrade, the phones bricks......Samsung wanted to charge me $500+ to repair it...and then I would have a 30 warranty.

So I jumped off the Samsung ship, figuring if I went with a differnet manufacturer and a stable phone I would be good....thats why I got the Moto G5 plus.    Happy with it for the last 7 months, I have gotten the same phone for 3 other family memebrs.

NOW, I am faced with the same situation as with the Note!!!!!

This is SO unacceptable!

There is no reason that they cannot program a "delay for 30 days" button into the code for the upgrade notification.

Yet we are all being forced to "upgrade".

I am old enough to consider myself "old school tech"...I was builing PCs in the early 90s.....and we NEVER "updated" let alone "UPGRADED" the OS unless there was a REASON.....a feature we wanted or a major issue that needed addressed.

Now, we are being FORCED to "upgrade" which only opens up a world of hurt for many of us.

Look at all the "Problem after Oreo update" threads just in this forum alone! And that doesnt cover all the people who dont post here....

I feel the same way about Samsung as you said you do now about Moto -- I will NEVER buy another Samsung product again after the run around I got ......and how they basically robbed me of a working device.

Hoping Moto isnt going to do the same shady thing.

Think about it -- if your phone bricks, you have to buy a new one....from SOMEONE....and that means a new Adroid license for Google.....Google is laughing all the way to the bank.

scumbuster
SCSI Port
Views: 150
Message 8 of 13

Not to mention.....if I DO bite the bullet and "upgrade" and my phone does what yours and others' is doing, it would be under warranty....but I would get back a "refurbished" unit......I didnt BUY a "refurbished" phone...I bought a brand new one.

SO they have us in a corner no matter how old our phones are.

This stinks.

And what is worse is there are NO really useful or thoughtful replies from Lenovo on this...just "we cannot turn that off" or "please call us" and when you do, you speak to a level one person reading from a script that tells you "we cannot turn that off".

AWEFUL.

BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 131
Message 9 of 13

Hi scumbuster,

You said, "There is no reason that they cannot program a "delay for 30 days" button into the code for the upgrade notification." Althought I'm not talking Android, and only as a comparison, this is exactly why with Microsoft Windows 10, at least with the Pro version, I always set the Windows Update option for "Semi-Annual (Targeted)" for both myself and my clients. At least that way we get six months for other people to stub their toes as they debug the current release. Experience from lessons learned the hard way, as you well know.

Other interested forum members: Please do not respond in this post to issues about Windows 10 version updates. I was just making a comparision as to why updating your production devices immediately upon release is not an IT "best practice". Updating test lab devices is fine for testing (before production rollout).

Regards . . .

BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 129
Message 10 of 13

Today's development: I spoke with the Moto G5 Plus (aka G5+) owner and forwarded them this page link. We're both business people and have come to the conclusion that handing over Lenovo/Moto another $93.75 (that was their "best possible resolution" by the way, ha ha), would as they say, "be throwing good money at bad money".

The owner agrees that it's smarter to take the ~$300 loss now, and scrap the phone for whatever we can get for it. It doesn't make good business sense to add another ~$100, and now have a $400 phone, that could possibly need another ~$100 repair eighteen months from now. And if that repair only lasts another 18 months, we could be looking at a $500 total investment in a 5 year period for a $300 mid-class phone. Not worth it and not worth the aggravation.

Regards . . .
Top Kudoed Authors