Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Motouser67
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,096
Message 1 of 5

Moto G5 GPS issue!

Hi,

I am using a Moto G5 (Cedric) XT1676. Recently after installing the July 2018 Security Patch, I noticed that my GPS is not working as accurate as before. Before the patch, my phone was able to locate me as close as 4-6 meters (13-19 ft). I am using apps like GPS Test and GPS Locker to test GPS and for navigation Maps.me and Here we go. When using GPS test apps, I get information that there are around 19-23 satellites in view and about 11-15 of them are in use.

Since installing the July 2018 security patch my Moto G5 locates me very often only as close as 15 meters (49 ft). Sometimes it manages to locate me as close as 4-9 meters but not very often. This leads to the problem that navigation becomes very inaccurate. Sometimes when I stop at a red light in my car, the phone shows my position on a parallel street or even on the opposite direction which makes the navigation app calculate the route again. Sometimes when driving on a street, the phone shows me driving on a parallel street. As a result foot navigation is also very difficult due to the poor localisation and missing compass/magnetometer. Occassionally the phone manages to locate my position as close as 4-6 meters but that is very seldom.

In the settings I tried both high accuracy and only phone GPS options. Both options lead to the same inaccurate GPS localisation. Turning on Wifi/Mobile Data doesn't improve it either. My old Moto G2 had a flawless GPS performance with the same apps. Removing the battery cover, I noticed there are several gold pins around the camera, maybe some of them are GPS antennas. Touching and moving them gently helps a bit but only for a short period. Removing and reinserting the battery cover helps too but only for a short period. Should I wait for the Oreo update, maybe it could help?

For now, I can't really use the GPS of the Moto G5 with 100% confidence despite needing it.

Does anyone else experience the same GPS problem or does someone know any advice?

Mschnepp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,127
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moto G5 GPS issue!

Any luck dealing with this?   I contacted support and received minimal help....didn't resolve my issue.  

They suggested I send my phone in for repair.  Sometimes it works, but it's not reliable (sometimes, I will be using less than 4 sattellites, sometimes 10-11 and seeing 20+), so I dont' think it is a hardware issue.   

I can't count on the GPS though, which is incredibly frustrating when I am in an area I am not familiar with.  

Often disconnects in maps and flashes .....searching  

motomig5
What's DOS?
Views: 805
Message 3 of 5

Same Pb since Oreo Smiley Sad

Please HELP !!
No GPS .... .... ....

Lilalaunebaer69
Paper Tape
Views: 567
Message 4 of 5

I have the same problem. A factory reset fixes the problem for 1-3 days and then the issue occurs again.
Thats enough proof for me that this is not a hardware issue. I find lots of German and english entries describing the same problem.
I tend to buy a new mobile and guess waht - it will not be a Lenovo device.

They do not give in that there is a problem an suggest randomly workarounds.

Dynamo2000
What's DOS?
Views: 339
Message 5 of 5

Hi, I have had the Motorola Moto G5 Play for about 1 1/2 yrs.  The navigation almost never works properly.  Here is the best work around I have found.  I usually try to use Google Maps for navigation.  (Waze is even worse on my phone - it never finds the location signal).  Put in the address of where you want to go in Google Maps and then hit Directions.  You get a highlighted map showing you the route from where you are to where you want to go.  Normally you then hit Start and your navigation kicks in.  For the work around DON'T hit Start.  Surprisingly, once you hit Directions your location indicator (big blue dot)  will update (in my case about every 5 secs.) as you dirve.  You can zoom in and out and shift or rotate the map as you wish and your location keeps updating.  No, you do not get voice directions but you can at least see where you are and when and where you need to turn.  Its not the best but it works.  

BY THE WAY, Does anyone know if this bug has been fixed in the new Moto G6?

Top Kudoed Authors