cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Simeon2017
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-15-2017
Location: CY
Views: 2,756
Message 1 of 10

Moto G5+ Galileo GPS system

Hi i wanted to ask about 2 things for the moto g5 plus

 

1) the moto g5 plus supports the Galileo navigation system ? i saw from qualcomm that the cpu supports it but in the software side it's activated to use it ?

 

2) the g5 plus i know that in europe it wont have a compass as a sensor but in navigation it will be able to determine the direction you look ?

 

Thanks and best regards !

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 27,342
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 2,716
Message 2 of 10

Re: Moto G5+ Galileo GPS system


@Simeon2017 wrote:

Hi i wanted to ask about 2 things for the moto g5 plus

 

1) the moto g5 plus supports the Galileo navigation system ? i saw from qualcomm that the cpu supports it but in the software side it's activated to use it ?

 

2) the g5 plus i know that in europe it wont have a compass as a sensor but in navigation it will be able to determine the direction you look ?

 

Thanks and best regards !


On the Moto Europe site, I don't see Galileo so I would have to say no. GPS and GLONASS are listed. 

 

http://www.motorola.com/we/products/moto-g

 

Without a compass, direction is still indicated while navigating. As long as you are moving, GPS is used to calculate direction, speed, etc. If you are completely still, then there would be no way to determine direction you are facing. 

 

I would like to add, I have a compass on my Moto Z - but it doesn't work as simply as it sounds. When I hold the phone vertical, vs flat, the direction indicator in google maps changes - so there is no easy way to tell which is correct. Maybe a compass app would work better, but I find that whenever i use the compass on the phone (even in the past using an ap on other phones), I would always get a real compass out to make sure i was holding the phone correctly. Of course, one week later i would forget and have to do it all over again. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Simeon2017
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-15-2017
Location: CY
Views: 2,701
Message 3 of 10

Re: Moto G5+ Galileo GPS system

For the galileo system on the below link

 

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2016/06/21/qualcomm-announces-broad-support-galileo-across-sn...

 

It says: This feature is integrated in the latest Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800, 600, and 400 processors and modems. Galileo will be supported on smartphones and compute devices with the appropriate software release on Snapdragon 820, 652, 650, 625, 617, and 435 processors, automotive infotainment solutions utilizing Snapdragon 820A, and telematics and IoT solutions with Snapdragon X16, X12, X7, and X5 LTE Modems, and Qualcomm® 9x15 and MDM6x00 modems

 

in matter of hardware the moto g5 plus is covered but in the software side i don't know if it is activated or not thats why i'm asking

 

now for the compass i mean't if you standing still and turn its going to show the direction you're facing ? in car navigation i think it won't matter because it shows it from the road you're going

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 27,342
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 2,697
Message 4 of 10

Re: Moto G5+ Galileo GPS system


@Simeon2017 wrote:

For the galileo system on the below link

 

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2016/06/21/qualcomm-announces-broad-support-galileo-across-sn...

 

It says: This feature is integrated in the latest Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800, 600, and 400 processors and modems. Galileo will be supported on smartphones and compute devices with the appropriate software release on Snapdragon 820, 652, 650, 625, 617, and 435 processors, automotive infotainment solutions utilizing Snapdragon 820A, and telematics and IoT solutions with Snapdragon X16, X12, X7, and X5 LTE Modems, and Qualcomm® 9x15 and MDM6x00 modems

 

in matter of hardware the moto g5 plus is covered but in the software side i don't know if it is activated or not thats why i'm asking

 

now for the compass i mean't if you standing still and turn its going to show the direction you're facing ? in car navigation i think it won't matter because it shows it from the road you're going


I am not arguing that Galileo support is in the chip, I am just saying it doesn't appear that Motorola is using it. But I will ask for clarification. 

 

As for direction - without a compass, there is no way for the phone to show the direction you are facing if you are not moving. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Simeon2017
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-15-2017
Location: CY
Views: 2,695
Message 5 of 10

Re: Moto G5+ Galileo GPS system

Don't worry i didn't say it as an argument Smiley Happy

But for the compass its a shame that its not in the g5 plus
Simeon2017
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-15-2017
Location: CY
Views: 2,612
Message 6 of 10

Re: Moto G5+ Galileo GPS system

Is there any news about the Galileo system ? its activated or not on g5 plus ?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 27,342
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 2,595
Message 7 of 10

Re: Moto G5+ Galileo GPS system


@Simeon2017 wrote:

Is there any news about the Galileo system ? its activated or not on g5 plus ?


No word yet. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
henkvanderspek
Token Ring
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎02-15-2011
Views: 2,526
Message 8 of 10

Re: Moto G5+ Galileo GPS system

Calibration of the compass is occasionally needed.
Simeon2017
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-15-2017
Location: CY
Views: 2,489
Message 9 of 10

Re: Moto G5+ Galileo GPS system

Why it needs calibration ? the european version it doesn't include a compass

henkvanderspek
Token Ring
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎02-15-2011
Views: 2,478
Message 10 of 10

Re: Moto G5+ Galileo GPS system

Sorry, quote went wrong. I was commenting on Alphadog's experïence with his Moto Z: "....I would like to add, I have a compass on my Moto Z - but it doesn't work as simply as it sounds. When I hold the phone vertical, vs flat, the direction indicator in google maps changes - so there is no easy way to tell which is correct. Maybe a compass app would work better, but I find that whenever i use the compass on the phone (even in the past using an ap on other phones), I would always get a real compass out to make sure i was holding the phone correctly....
Top Kudoed Authors