Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
puckluvr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,740
Message 1 of 9

Moto G5 Plus Bluetooth issues in car

So I had a Moto G 3rd gen phone and after I bought a new Nissan vehicle in June 2016, the bluetooth suddenly stopped working after about 3 months when trying to make phone calls over the car system. Basically, it would show on the car's LCD screen that the call had gone through but there was no sound coming from the speakers.

Took the car back to Nissan who replaced the radio. The problem persisted and the 2 Nissan technicians showed me that one guy had an iphone and it worked perfectly with the car. The other guy conicidentally had a Motorola phone and was having the same issues that I was having.
Long story short and after trying everything I could think of as well as whatever the Motorola message boarders suggested, I finally gave up and bought a new Moto G5 Plus.
It  has been 6 months of trouble free bluetooth usage........................ until today. I tried to make a call this morning and the same thing happened that was happening with my old Moto phone. The call would show as connected but I could not hear anything through the car speakers.
So I powered off the phone and tried again. It worked.....temporarily for a few calls.
I parked the car and when I finished my errand, needed to make another call and it failed once again.
Soooo I turned the phone off and back on. Once again it worked fine for the  2 calls that I needed to make.
Really don't feel like I should have to power off my phone every time I need to make a phone call.
Any suggestions before I toss this thing and go get a Samsung?

Thanks

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,645
Message 2 of 9

Re: Moto G5 Plus Bluetooth issues in car

Hi puckluvr,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to know about this. If I may ask, are you also experiencing this issue with playing music? or the issue was merely happening with phone calls? Also, does the bluetooth connection drops? 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

puckluvr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,636
Message 3 of 9

The bluetooth connection does not drop during a phone call.
It will place the call through the car system but when it shows on the car LCD screen as a connected call, I cannot hear the call through the car's speakers. The person on the other end can hear me but I cannot hear them.
To remedy this I need to power off the phone and then turn it back on. This seems to clear something because it will work fine after doing this.
Podcasts are ocassionally not working as well. it is definitely not consistent with the phone or streaming audio.

B0501
Paper Tape
Views: 101
Message 4 of 9

Can someone help with this?  

I have intermittent connection now when in the car.  For the phone and music connectivity, the connection will be lost while in use.

I have the same problem playing music on other devices so it must be the phone.

The car manufacturer has also now upgraded all vehicle software and has demonstrated no issues with iPhones or Samsung devices.

Everything worked fine until around 2 months ago.

Motorola - Are you aware and do you acnowledge a problem and will there be a fix any time soon?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 97
Message 5 of 9

Hi B0501,

Thanks for posting. I'd like to confirm, does it reconnect automatically? Also, may I know what's the make and model of your car's stereo? Please try this in safe mode. Leave the phone until the disconnection persists. 

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

Just turn off and on the phone to boot back to normal mode. Let me know.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

B0501
Paper Tape
Views: 77
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the reply.

I have a 2017 Jaguar XF with the standard stereo.

After rebooting in Safe mode I used Google Play to test and the problem persists.

The phone is (obviously) paired with the car. 

When the 'disconnect' happens, I now see that the phone is no longer available as a bluetooth device from the car side. 

The phone lock after 10 seconds, and the disconnect around 30 seconds after that.

The phone reappears in the car's list of devices after the phone is unlocked and music can be restarted.

I hope this helps

dr_glenn
Token Ring
Views: 69
Message 7 of 9

Car: Honda Insight 2019

Phone: Moto G5s Plus (XT1806) on Verizon.

I got a new Honda Insight 2019 model in June 2018. For the first time I found myself using Bluetooth with a car. Quickly I encountered troubles with BT Audio: during a 45 minute commute the conenction would typically drop about 6 times. When dropped it almost always came back in 10 to 15 seconds.

I don't often make phone calls in the car, but when I do, they will last more than 30 minutes. I never had a dropout problem on phone calls.

There was no way to know if the problem was due to car or phone, but clearly the problem was BT Audio and not BT Phone.

But I was also having a lot of trouble with an old Plantronics headset, so this pointed to the phone (but could have been the headset).

In late fall 2018, my phone received some major update and the problem with car disappeared. Have not tried headset though.

B0501
Paper Tape
Views: 53
Message 8 of 9

Safe mode had the same issue.

I have also not completed a factory reset and reloaded only a few apps.

The problem is the same, but now the disconnect happens as soon as the screen locks.

Further testing shows the same problem happens using Google Cast.

PLEASE HELP

B0501
Paper Tape
Views: 50
Message 9 of 9

Another update for this one.

Getting desperate, I started trawling various blogs I saw a common theme that Google Play services were seeing the Mottorolaa Bluetooth link as a security threat, hence switching it of to protect the device.:  I came up with:the following steps:

Google Play Store/Menu/Play Protect - Turn Off full scanning

then

Settings/ Security & Location/Google Play Store/Advanced/ Modify Systen Settings : TURN THIS OFF!

....and now all seems to function again.

I'm sure this cannot be the way Lenovo/Motorola/Google intended this to work, so advice on what's really causing this would be very helpful.

Top Kudoed Authors