Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

684 Posts

01-30-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2061 Signins

13612 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 13612
  • Message 21 of 56

Re: Moto G5 Plus Cellular Radio not turning on

2018-02-21, 22:27 PM

I have heard of the EU directive giving  2 years warranty providing you can prove faulty manufacturer,  but what enlightened part of the world do you live in?  Maybe it's time to jump ship and emigrate. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Options

381 Posts

01-09-2018

Saint Martin (French part)

243 Signins

3492 Page Views

• Views: 3492
  • Message 22 of 56

2018-02-22, 8:51 AM

EU is 3 year or as long as the economical live of an device....  those 2 years is what a factory has to put in their conditions....

In case of bending for example, the factory has to prove (not every time) that the phone can take some force before bending and getting defect. same for dropping.

Those rules are recently sharped as long a lot of companies where trying to sell the users extended warranty .....  that is really something you might need somewhere else but a phone should work fine for a few years.... Also the whole green thingy is part of it to force them to make longer lasting phones what seems to be better for the poor little globe.

Like everything, there are a few rules...  the battery for example don't have to work for 3 years without loosing energy,  but a years us from the other side also not good.....

But not many people use their right....  special when you have bought the phone on-line it's a lot of work to get your right as long the retailer has to solve the problem...

We did a lot of work involving this with the 3x3x3  action we hosted for an Chinese brand.....  that brand still gives on all their phones 3 year warranty here....

Options

182 Posts

01-02-2018

Ireland

331 Signins

3872 Page Views

• Views: 3872
  • Message 23 of 56

2018-02-22, 8:58 AM

Which brand was that? (if you can say)

I'm not aware of any brand publicising a 3 year warranty (not saying there isn't one - just I've not heard of one)

Edit - btw, the op with the problem has been conspicuously absent from this thread! Jus sayin

Options

684 Posts

01-30-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2061 Signins

13612 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 13612
  • Message 24 of 56

2018-02-22, 9:47 AM

wrote:

Yes, I know that physical damage can void a warranty. But, there is no physical damage. How can a phone get physically damaged by just keeping on a desk and morover it doesnt have a single scratch or a dent. 

Also, when they take the phone in for service, they check then and there for any physical damage and mention any on the job sheet. There was none.

I wonder how it got damaged afterwards and that too they realised it after two whole days.

Also I have searched the issue up and it seems to be a software issue and can be fixed by "reflashing the radio stack". I cant try that ofcourse as it will void the warranty.

When sending your phone in for service, to avoid any dispute over damage it would be advisable to take detailed photos of the phone, the photos should be taken laying on a dated newspaper to verify the date that the photo was taken.

To prevent damage to your phone,  don't carry it in your jeans pocket unprotected, a strong case will help to prevent damage or you could use a man or girl bag instead.  Man bags are quite acceptable in most parts of the enlightened world.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Options

16 Posts

01-29-2018

India

14 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 25 of 56

2018-02-22, 9:50 AM
Rejecting the device from servicing for so insignificant bend is convenient.

As for your second point that a software issue should be for all. Ever heard of corner cases?

Another point you raised that recent handling might have reconnected something internally. This is the exact reason that I reported the apparent "fix" a well over a week of normal usage.

As for the "Improper care and handling" everybody is so quick to point out, they should be able to prove that how a normal usage scenario 15 min of office commute when its in my pocket and rest of the day on desk is improper handling.

And all these things aside, I already have given up on lenovo service. I am here for some suggestions on how to fix it myself.
Options

16 Posts

01-29-2018

India

14 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 26 of 56

2018-02-22, 9:54 AM
I guess I get the sarcastic tone in you reply.

Would like to mention that, this is the second time that the phone is working after doing these steps. Last time (a week and a half ago) , I was not aware of what I did after which it worked. And after reboot, it stopped functioning.

So, I know for sure that it would stop working after I reboot.
I need alternative solutions.
Options

16 Posts

01-29-2018

India

14 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 27 of 56

2018-02-22, 9:56 AM

Exactly..!!
Just make a [removed] attempt at it.

The guy just said plainly that you can get it serviced outside of warranty and you will have to bear the charges as the bend would mean a possible display crack while opening.

Options

16 Posts

01-29-2018

India

14 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 28 of 56

2018-02-22, 9:58 AM
Yes. That's what is bugging me as well.

If a normal usage is resulting in the bend that too in 10 months time, then its a manufacturing fault.
Options

182 Posts

01-02-2018

Ireland

331 Signins

3872 Page Views

• Message 29 of 56

2018-02-22, 10:00 AM

To prevent damage to your phone,  don't carry it in your jeans pocket unprotected, a strong case will help to prevent damage or you could use a man or girl bag instead.  Man bags are quite acceptable in most parts of the enlightened world.

I find leaving my phone in a locked safe encased in concrete beneath a weighty object (small mountains are usually sufficient) offers relatively good protection. 

Back in the real world though, just applying a bit of common sense to the care of valuable technology usually does the trick :smileywink:

Despite our best efforts sometimes accidents happen and when they do it sucks, but that unfortunately is a reality we have to live with

Options

182 Posts

01-02-2018

Ireland

331 Signins

3872 Page Views

• Message 30 of 56

2018-02-22, 10:09 AM

@OP

Wasn't clear which of your replies was to which post, but let's not get bogged down in different interpretations of what's reasonable wear & tear.

Rather let's get back to your current predicament.

Is the phone working currently?

I posted this the other day:

Might be worth using a network or sim diagnostic tool from Play to see if you can detect a fault.

If not, I'd suggest biting the bullet and trying to reboot your phone - probably better to risk having it fail when you're expecting a problem than when you're not. 

My general advice when a problem like this comes up and rebooting hasn't helped is to do a factory reset - should reset the radios, RILs etc. Try that maybe? ("Nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.")

Did you get chance to try any of that?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms