04-09-2017

IN

4 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 11 of 34

Re: Moto G5 Plus : Fingerprint App Lock Support

2017-04-23, 13:40 PM

Is there any possibility of that in near future?

wrote:

wrote:

Fingerprint is working fine to unlock phone but App Lock by Fingerprint is missing.

Hope OTA will fix it...but when???

Hi coolhash85,

Thanks for your interest in one of our phones. Moto G5 Plus doesn't have app lock which allows apps to be secured using Fingerprint scanner.  There is Play store where you can download third party apps which suit your style and customization.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Options

3454 Posts

10-05-2016

PH

533 Signins

43787 Page Views

• Views: 43787
  • Message 12 of 34

2017-04-25, 20:06 PM

Hi vermasugreev,

That we can't answer if this will be available in the future. We can pass this feedback with our team as a suggestion, thanks.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Options

13 Posts

05-20-2017

IN

22 Signins

182 Page Views

• Views: 182
  • Message 13 of 34

2017-05-27, 1:33 AM

wrote:

Hi ,

I appreciate your feedback. As I mentioned in my last post, this phone is a stock android phone which has most google features. If we are going to add this feature on updates, there would be some customers who won't like to have this feature. Just an example, you want to open your camera as you don't want to miss something or you are in an event. Because you have an app lock, you have missed a specific thing you want to capture. That is why not all users would like to have this feature. I haven't heard of any phone that has all features which are available in Play Store, if there is, that phone should be called the "Super Play Store phone."

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

App lock is a feature. It is optional and not mandatory. So, people who want to use it, can go ahead and enable it. If some people don't want it, then it will be anyway disabled. App lock comes in handy in many situations. Suppose your mobile gets stolen and since you are already signed in with google account, anyone can directly go and access your google drive. Similarly there will be other financial as well as data apps which people will want to keep safe and secure.

And in the fast growing digital world and cyber attacks, I would definitely want the phone manufacturer to provide the aap lock feature instead of relying on the third party app which may not be trustworthy and there are chances that some third party apps may not be that secure at all. After the recent 'WannaCry' attacks, there have been reports citing that ransomware hitting mobiles have grown threefold in 2017. Refer to this article : http://www.bgr.in/news/mobile-ransomware-grows-three-fold-in-q1-2017-kaspersky-lab/

Overall, what I would say is that Motorola as a company should provide stock android experience but in some areas like security, it should not hold itself back just because of stock android experience. May be during the last generations of Motorola mobiles, the threat on mobile devices was not that huge but it has grown significantly today.

My take: Motorola should provide the option of app lock and let it be on users if they want it to use or not. When people see the feature, the adoption will grow eventually but if there is no feature then how will people know the benefit of it, how will you know whether people want it or not. People in India are still not very well educated in terms of digital/cyber security. Not many will go ahead and download the third party app.

Options

13 Posts

05-20-2017

IN

22 Signins

182 Page Views

• Message 14 of 34

App lock security feature for Moto g5 plus

2017-05-27, 1:44 AM

App lock is a feature. It is optional and not mandatory. So, people who want to use it, can go ahead and enable it. If some people don't want it, then it will be anyway disabled. App lock comes in handy in many situations. Suppose your mobile gets stolen and since you are already signed in with google account, anyone can directly go and access your google drive. Similarly there will be other financial as well as data apps which people will want to keep safe and secure.

And in the fast growing digital world and cyber attacks, I would definitely want the phone manufacturer to provide the aap lock feature instead of relying on the third party app which may not be trustworthy and there are chances that some third party apps may not be that secure at all. After the recent 'WannaCry' attacks, there have been reports citing that ransomware hitting mobiles have grown threefold in 2017. Refer to this article : http://www.bgr.in/news/mobile-ransomware-grows-three-fold-in-q1-2017-kaspersky-lab/

Overall, what I would say is that Motorola as a company should provide stock android experience but in some areas like security, it should not hold itself back just because of stock android experience. May be during the last generations of Motorola mobiles, the threat on mobile devices was not that huge but it has grown significantly today.

My take: Motorola should provide the option of app lock and let it be on users if they want it to use or not. When people see the feature, the adoption will grow eventually but if there is no feature then how will people know the benefit of it, how will you know whether people want it or not. People in India are still not very well educated in terms of digital/cyber security. Not many will go ahead and download the third party app.

Options

13 Posts

05-20-2017

IN

22 Signins

182 Page Views

• Message 15 of 34

2017-05-27, 1:48 AM

I have started a new thread for addition of app lock feature: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/App-lock-security-feature-for-Moto-phones/td-p/3686486

Would request other users to go to the link and comment on it.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 16 of 34

2017-05-27, 2:08 AM

wrote:

I have started a new thread for addition of app lock feature: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/App-lock-security-feature-for-Moto-phones/td-p/3686486

Would request other users to go to the link and comment on it.

No reason for a new thread.  I moved your post here. This a good place to continue the discussion. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 17 of 34

2017-05-27, 2:10 AM

wrote:

wrote:

Hi ,

I appreciate your feedback. As I mentioned in my last post, this phone is a stock android phone which has most google features. If we are going to add this feature on updates, there would be some customers who won't like to have this feature. Just an example, you want to open your camera as you don't want to miss something or you are in an event. Because you have an app lock, you have missed a specific thing you want to capture. That is why not all users would like to have this feature. I haven't heard of any phone that has all features which are available in Play Store, if there is, that phone should be called the "Super Play Store phone."

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

A pin or password on the phone is a better security option and if in place, your phone can be remote wiped and thieves can't reactivate the phone. You have a fingerprint reader, so theft should not result in your google account being compromised. 

If "people in India are not security educated" then they would not know to enable app locker. If they know about app locker, and don't see it, then they would know enough to look for one in play store.

But moto believes in keeping the os as near stock as possible, so they don't add extra apps. Extra apps all have to be tested and take up space.

I would argue that most users would never use an app locker. And an app locker will not protect users from malware on mobile. The malware would just wait for the app to be unlocked - that is how most malware works - it waits for users to open an app and enter credentials.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

3 Posts

08-02-2017

IN

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 18 of 34

2017-08-02, 14:05 PM

When others are giving this feature then why can't Motorola ??

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 19 of 34

2017-08-02, 14:12 PM

wrote:

Simply because Motorola tries not to add features that are offered by 3rd party apps. Idealy to make it easier to update the OS - less apps that they have to worry about working after an update. 

And if Motorola did offer an app to do this, maybe it would not be as good as what is in the play store. There are many in the play store with 4+ stars, so why should Motorola compete with that?

Options

26 Posts

11-30-2015

NL

22 Signins

522 Page Views

• Views: 522
  • Message 20 of 34

2017-08-02, 14:20 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Simply because Motorola tries not to add features that are offered by 3rd party apps. Idealy to make it easier to update the OS - less apps that they have to worry about working after an update. 

And if Motorola did offer an app to do this, maybe it would not be as good as what is in the play store. There are many in the play store with 4+ stars, so why should Motorola compete with that?

Don't get me wrong, I love vanilla/stock Android experience, although if Motorola can improve by eg adding stuff like gestures, why don't they improve the ROM by adding small features, such as app locking?

An integrated feature would, in most cases, ideally work better than a feature downloaded from the Play Store due to it being in the settings for example.

If there are certain things that can indeed be greatly improved without a big layer, why don't they do that? I would love to see how improving Lenovo can be and how creative they are. There are many things that can be done, without adding such a layer.

I know some stuff can be added by apps, but you never know if those apps are 100% secure. Also some stuff that's important can't be added.

Last of all, stuff such as the camera works great, but sometimes it's a bit noisy. If Lenovo could fix stuff like that people would be very happy.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete