Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 14 (561 Views)

Moto G5 Plus Opinions

Hi everyone

I am thinking of buying the Moto G5 plus 32gb 3gb RAM edition (UK) and would appreciate owners of the phone giving me their opinions. 

I have read various reviews which have advised the screen is a little dull and lifeless, do owners find this? I have been unable to find a shop that has one where I can test the screen. 

Also I understand that the device can overheat a little, does anyone have comment on this? 

Finally, does the ommission of a compass (UK edition) cause anyone any issues? 

Thanks

SCSI Port
Message 2 of 14 (525 Views)

Re: Moto G5 Plus Opinions

For starters: Here are some subforums on Android-related sites:

Moto G5/G5 Plus at Android Central

Moto G5 Plus at Android Forums

I have read various reviews about the screen.  Consensus is that it is a bit "lifeless" as compared to screens in higher-end handsets, but, it's quite usable.  Daylight/sunshine performance gets varied grades.

It gets a bit warm when charging.  This is not unusual.  Other than that: The only reports I've seen of overheating were here, from users in India.  I'm not certain what that means.

Can't answer the compass question.

My bigger problem with this device is that it's made by Lenovorola, who has publicly announced they won't be doing regular security updates.  Given Android's execable history regarding security: This, to me, is a concern.  Conversely: If you were to go with any "standard" manufacturer/carrier-corrupted version of Android (e.g.: Samsung on <pick your carrier>), you'd probably get no better, and perhaps much worse.

Despite the fact I'm very annoyed with Lenovorola, over how they treated 3rd Generation device owners, I'm strongly considering a G5 Plus.  Truth is: In the market niche it's aiming for, they are doing it best, to the best of my knowledge.  The 4th Gen. lineup I thought was horrible.  They appear to have at least somewhat realized the errors of their ways and brought at least the "G" series back to what it was meant to be and what made it so popular.  (But, Lenovorola: Next time please dispense with the faux metal and chrome.  You're not fooling anybody, and faux looks worse than honest plastic.  Bring back the nice, textured, grippy cases.  Maybe even with that nice, gentle curved back that made past handsets such a joy to hold.)

Right now I'm holding off for a little more "in the hands of real users" input before I go spending my hard-earned $$$.

Punch Card
Message 3 of 14 (476 Views)

SEMIJimII

Thanks for your input

I'm in same boat you are in.  Several issues I'm tracking;

1- Low volumn

2- Hissing FM radio

3- No 911 on Verizon

4- Screen brightness 

5- Video issue (red corners when in 1080P 60FPS

Hopefully these issues can be resolved---I like everything MOTO has advertised---Jury is still out for me?

Blue Screen Again
Message 4 of 14 (430 Views)

I am tracking some of these as well:

1- Low volumn -- This is my biggest complaint. The earpiece volume is just good enough for a quiet room, but it is a problem in noisy enviroments. I am probably old-fashioned in that I like to use a phone as a phone...

2- Hissing FM radio -- I haven't tried the FM radio yet.

3- No 911 on Verizon -- I am on Cricket (owned by AT&T); the network is working great.

4- Screen brightness -- No problems here. The display on my phone has been behaving well, but I am not running the default settings.

5- Video issue (red corners when in 1080P 60FPS -- Because our other equipment is set to 720p at 60 fps, I have not tried 1080p. So far, there have been no issues. I have seen a few seconds upconverted to 1080i with no problems. I will have to attempt 1080p.

So far, other than the low volume and tinny tone of the speaker when in earpiece mode during a call (but, it does better than I expected it would when in speaker mode, so the issue is not the physical speaker itself...), I have been quite happy with the phone.

I hope this helps!

SCSI Port
Message 5 of 14 (405 Views)

appier wrote:

I am tracking some of these as well:

1- Low volumn -- This is my biggest complaint. The earpiece volume is just good enough for a quiet room, but it is a problem in noisy enviroments. I am probably old-fashioned in that I like to use a phone as a phone...

5- Video issue (red corners when in 1080P 60FPS -- ...

So far, other than the low volume and tinny tone of the speaker when in earpiece mode during a call (but, it does better than I expected it would when in speaker mode, so the issue is not the physical speaker itself...), I have been quite happy with the phone.

I hope this helps!

The low volume thing might be a problem for me.  Truth is: My hearing sucks.  Poor audio quality or too-low audio level would leave me with an unusable device.

As for the red-tinted corners in video recording: Lenovorola has copped to the problem and their "solution" is basically "sorry about that."  Apparently it can affect photos, too.  See https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/Red-corners-on-1080p-60fps-recorded-videos/td-p/36...

I am now rethinking my tentative plans to acquire one of these in the next couple weeks or so.  I was holding off to see how this new G faired in real life and to see if Lenovorola had become any more consumer- or quality-focused after what they did with the 3rd Generation customers and the 4th Generation products.  Looks like I may have my answer Smiley Sad

Paper Tape
Message 6 of 14 (397 Views)

Is the red tinted video only in 60fps mode and therefore UK versions are unaffected?

Blue Screen Again
Message 7 of 14 (386 Views)

In their defense, the problem with the low volume on the earpiece when used as an earpiece is not the hardware. The speaker itself is also used as a loudspeaker, and the audio quality and volume address not not bad for a speaker of that size. The problem is that the default volume in earpiece mode has been set to probably somewhere around the vicinity of 85% of what is should be. Most likely, all they will need to do to fix this issue is to edit the configuration file or the file that determines the configuration file,then push out an update which would fix the bug.

Given this is a known and confirmed bug, has Lenovo/Motorola made any announcements regarding the intention regarding upcoming updates which would be pushed out to fix these issues?

Punch Card
Message 8 of 14 (374 Views)

appier

Thanks for the update on audio volume.  I think what you said, is that only ear piece volume has a low level problem---the regular speaker level is OK---is that the case?  You are the only one with an actual G5+ in hand that I have heard from.  I wonder if recent US health care issues about head phone volume levels causing hearing loss have a role in this issue?

Blue Screen Again
Message 9 of 14 (353 Views)

Steve0 wrote:

...I think what you said, is that only ear piece volume has a low level problem---the regular speaker level is OK---is that the case?

You are the only one with an actual G5+ in hand that I have heard from.  I wonder if recent US health care issues about head phone volume levels causing hearing loss have a role in this issue?

Steve,

Yes, it is the earpiece. The regular speaker level is OK. I am not sure if a healthcare concern is in play. I did search volume level limits and located that the EU has a limit of 85 dB. (http://www.bbc.com/news/health-21294537) However, using sound comparison charts such as (http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.com/comparative-noise-examples.htm, http://www.hearnet.com/at_risk/risk_trivia.shtml), the sound on this particular model of phone appears to come nowhere close to the limit.

You do have me curious. I am a hybrid school teacher-administrator. We have Vernier equipment in the high school physics lab and using the VOIP system at the school, we can induce a reference level dial-tone which should be around 80 dB. It could be interesting to get some real numbers.

SCSI Port
Message 10 of 14 (282 Views)

As of this morning I've made my decision: I'm out.  Good luck, y'all!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count