Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-20-2017

Canada

6 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 61 of 232

Re: Moto G5 Plus Security Patch Updates

2017-08-05, 14:22 PM

Retla also on older build NPN25.137-15

And yes Jan 1, 2017 security update

Options

1 Posts

08-05-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 62 of 232

2017-08-05, 22:22 PM

I wasn't shown the May update until I removed the Sim card and connected via WiFi. Then the 50mb update was listed. After install Android security patch level shows May 1, 2017.

Since this procedure is unusual, it makes me wonder if I shouldn't have installed it....

Is it my carrier preventing updates being shown?

Options

23 Posts

10-31-2015

United States of America

23 Signins

118 Page Views

• Views: 118
  • Message 63 of 232

2017-08-06, 2:19 AM

HELP!! PLEASE!!

I just purchased this phone in an emergency as I dropped my trust OnePlus One and it came to an end.

I figured that for the money it would be a decent phone and it would be getting updates (since I think in 2017 even lenovo agreed to provide them) since it was in fact a new phone.  I see my phone is a retail version in the US.  It is stuck with the January 2017 patch.  I tried checking multiple times since (yesterday) when I got it but nothing.

I am still on time to return this phone and get my money back.  Anyone can tell me if it is in fact worth keeping or should get something else?  If anyone who has it is not getting the updates, please let me know.  If you ARE getting them, can you please tell me how?

I was actually thinking of getting an LG G5 which might be a year old but I understand is getting the security patches...

Anyone who can help, thanks in advanced.

Options

127 Posts

02-13-2015

India

103 Signins

788 Page Views

• Views: 788
  • Message 64 of 232

2017-08-06, 2:47 AM
May be they will surprised everyone with 7.1.1 update + new security patch.
but personally saying now not having trust on Lenovo , never thought they will do like this.
we are in August and still only on March patch.
many bugs available, Mainly WiFi bug got sick from that.
Every month new Phone launch, if they made incomplete phone why we wasted money on G5+ .
in terms of specifications G5S+ seems very good.
Lenovo making itself phones with stock Android now.
G5 + is my last Motorola device after G3 and E1
may be they will give updates in future but we purchased Moto device for Faster updates not for this type of things.
Options

40 Posts

04-23-2017

India

72 Signins

882 Page Views

• Views: 882
  • Message 65 of 232

2017-08-06, 6:24 AM

Slow updates has always been a problem with Lenovo smartphones.

Many of their smartphones received security patches only twice or thrice in every 4-5 months, and when received it, it was usually two months older than the month on which they received it. They usually don't release any security patches after the first year. Unfortunately, their poor leadership is now evident on Motorola, too.

Also, don't forget that Lenovo doesn't care about security. Do you remember them shipping the Superfish malware with their laptops?

They have never been reliable. Thus, I wouldn't recommend anyone to purchase Motorola anymore.

So, if you have already purchased it, kindly return it and purchase a phone of another brand. I would highly recommend you to purchase a Huawei Honor 6X if you are strict on budget, since Huawei phones can receive security updates even after 2 years. Their pace of delivering updates is also faster.

Options

101 Posts

03-23-2017

India

363 Signins

1675 Page Views

• Views: 1675
  • Message 66 of 232

2017-08-06, 7:23 AM

wrote:

HELP!! PLEASE!!

I just purchased this phone in an emergency as I dropped my trust OnePlus One and it came to an end.

I figured that for the money it would be a decent phone and it would be getting updates (since I think in 2017 even lenovo agreed to provide them) since it was in fact a new phone.  I see my phone is a retail version in the US.  It is stuck with the January 2017 patch.  I tried checking multiple times since (yesterday) when I got it but nothing.

I am still on time to return this phone and get my money back.  Anyone can tell me if it is in fact worth keeping or should get something else?  If anyone who has it is not getting the updates, please let me know.  If you ARE getting them, can you please tell me how?

I was actually thinking of getting an LG G5 which might be a year old but I understand is getting the security patches...

Anyone who can help, thanks in advanced.

Return the device, don't expect any updates for Moto G5 Plus from Lenovo. They are busy releasing replacement phone for Moto G5 Plus.

Options

21 Posts

05-04-2017

United States of America

96 Signins

571 Page Views

• Views: 571
  • Message 67 of 232

2017-08-06, 10:12 AM
For what it's worth, here is my take. The lack of bug fixes and lack of any updates (I'm on the JANUARY security patch with NO update in sight, only rumors of "soon" to "wait for Android O next year" ). There are so many positive things to like about this phone but there really is no support for it. I came from an Asus that got regular updates but the hardware was no comparison to this phone (that's the major plus for Lenovo). If only Lenovo would give ANY statement of reassurance that they are working on fixes (read through other posts on multiple problems simply wanting clear phone calls on it) . For now all you will get here is "Lenovo does not release information on updates" . There are many other phones that will give you more satisfaction for similar money. I would return it.
Options

10 Posts

07-14-2017

United States of America

39 Signins

323 Page Views

• Views: 323
  • Message 68 of 232

2017-08-07, 12:22 PM

Software channel retus here, still on the January patch. But my build number is even different from what some other US users have posted elsewhere. My build is still NPN25.137-33 instead of 137-35 like others have. I've tried the trick of powering down the phone and removing the SIM and powering back up to check for updates, but it's still not pushing it to my device, and when checked manually, it still says I'm up to date.

I love the G5 Plus. I really do. Hardware-wise and in terms of performance, I've had zero issues with it (knock on wood, cross fingers, etc.). But the lack of support and pre-baked lines we're fed from customer service at every outlet is incredibly frustrating. I bought the G5 Plus so I could have a phone without all the crapware and bloat that carrier phones offer, and I'm happy on that front; but even the Samsung Galaxy J3 I had previously got quarterly updates at the least. And here we are, what, 5 months after launch and not a word? Bollocks.

Options

10 Posts

07-14-2017

United States of America

39 Signins

323 Page Views

• Views: 323
  • Message 69 of 232

2017-08-12, 3:34 AM

Update: The May security patch got pushed to my phone this evening without having to do the SIM trick. Better late than never, but let's just say I've drastically lowered my expectations for software support for this phone. 

Options

127 Posts

02-13-2015

India

103 Signins

788 Page Views

• Views: 788
  • Message 70 of 232

2017-08-12, 3:39 AM
in which country .. ?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms