Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Erecshyrinol
Punch Card
Views: 1,835
Message 1 of 13

Moto G5 Plus alarm volume adjusting on its own

Hi,

I've had a Moto G5 Plus since early October 2017 and I've had a handful of occurrances of the alarm volume somehow changing on its own, on a couple of cases going silent altogether.

Really puzzling to wake up on your own, seeing a "missed alarm" notification, checking the sound settings to see the alarm volume all the way down. On a couple of occasions I've also noticed the alarm volume to have gone down a notch or two without having adjusted it myself. Fortunately, I haven't (yet... *knocks on wood*) overslept and missed anything because of these, but I'd rather not have a chance of that happening to begin with.

Any one have experienced the same? Ideas on what could be behind it?

It wouldn't seem possible for me to have accidentally adjusted the alarm volume, since changing the volume settings on both the clock's (stock app) and the phone's main settings requires multiple deliberate steps to access. Also, those two settings would seem to be the only ways of changing the alarm volume, e.g. volume buttons set to "control volume" in Clock settings makes volume buttons adjust ringer volume during alarms and not the alarm volume.

Thanks in advance!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,776
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moto G5 Plus alarm volume adjusting on its own

Hi, Erecshyrinol.

This is unusual, Can you test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up. Let us know if this helps?

Could you also perform a clear cache partition and see if it may help.

Meanwhile, would you please update your profile with the serial/IMEI/MEID number of your phone? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

Please check the link and update your profile here. Link

Thanks,

Swaraj

-Moto Support

Erecshyrinol
Punch Card
Views: 1,767
Message 3 of 13

Hi,

Do you mean an app issue in the Clock, or a conflict possibly cause by another app? I guess I could try the safe mode, but I'm afraid that would be quite a hassle, considering the issue has only occurred only a few times within a period of several months, without there being any seeming pattern to it, or at least anything that I have noticed. Nor have I been able to deliberately reproduce it. Also, with rather sporadic nature of the issue, I wouldn't really know how long to run safe mode in order to determine if it has had any effect; if had it simply not occured yet, or would have occurred if not in safe mode.

Also, going without any Play Store installed apps for a longer period of time could be pretty troublesome.

Clearing cache partition would probably be an easier thing to try first. Have I understood right that it does not delete apps or any other content on the phone, but only temporary files, caches, and the like?

My profile info should now be up to date; I added my phone's serial and enabled Motorola Privacy features after reading your response to my gapless playback thread.

Thanks

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,754
Message 4 of 13

Hi, Erecshyrinol.

In that case, you can check with clear cache partition.  Also, kindly send a bug report regarding this just after the issues occurs Bug Report will collect information about your current device state and share us via PM.

Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On

Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On

Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.

Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.

Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply.

Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behaviour.

Thanks,
Swaraj

Moto Support

Erecshyrinol
Punch Card
Views: 1,746
Message 5 of 13

Thanks.

I've now enabled those options and will get that bug report when the issue occurs again.

Nitishm
What's DOS?
Views: 1,595
Message 6 of 13

Exactly the same issue. I missed my flight last week and this week reached late for a meeting .i have no clue how to replicate it. 

Yesterday i snoozed my alarm and i never heard the alarm again because the alarm volume had magically gone to 0

Please help

Ommiemo54
Punch Card
Views: 1,571
Message 7 of 13

By any chance had you guys tried to reduce the sound level of your phone (not the alarm sound but the mobile sound level)??

Erecshyrinol
Punch Card
Views: 1,466
Message 8 of 13

What do you mean with "mobile sound level", a 'master volume' of sorts?
At least on my G5+ there's only three volume settings under the sound options: media volume, alarm volume, and ring volume. I'd assume changing the other two should have no effect on the alarm volume?

I had almost forgotten to report, but I had a case of autonomous volume setting shift in mid-February. Nothing went silent, but I noticed the ring and alarm volumes having gone down a notch or two on their own.
This one I have a debugging report of, in case you'd be interested in taking a look.

After that mid-Feb case, I didn't have any issues with volumes for quite a while, so I made the perhaps a bit foolish thing and turned the debugging & report saving off.
And of course I had another weird case again this week... (d'oh!):
- I wake up on my own, phone shows "missed alarm" notification
- no changes in volume settings at all
- very unlikely had I hadn't simple woken up to the alarm, as I had the phone right next to my head
- I had the Youtube app open and earphones connected, but I recall the alarm should always be played via the speaker?

I'll try replicating this latest occurrence tomorrow. And I've re-enable the debugging - and this time I'm definitely keeping it firmly ON. Smiley Happy
Erecshyrinol
Punch Card
Views: 1,342
Message 9 of 13

Not a case of missing an alarm due to  self-lowering alarm volume, but one where the alarm only played through connected earphones and with rather low volume. Here's the bug report I generated right after noticing the issue. Happened yesterday morning (May 3).

- Time: alarm originally set for 10 AM, I noticed the issue of alarm ringing via only earphones at 10:16 AM, after the alarm has rung for 6 minutes after the first 10 minute snoozing ended at 10:10 AM.

- Setting: earphones connected, Youtube app running, playback stopped after reaching the end of the video (I had listened to a video when I fell asleep).

- Phone settings: on checking the volume settings after noticing the issue, I could see no changes.

I guess I could send feedback to the Youtube app devs as well?

Erecshyrinol
Punch Card
Views: 1,312
Message 10 of 13

Alright, I think I'm onto something now!

The same happened again, and after doing some testing, it would appear that's it's not a Youtube app thing, but caused by the phone itself. Whenever I have earphones connected, the alarm clock alarms play through both the earphones adn the phone's speaker and at whatever media volume setting the phone is set to, not the alarm volume. (and as I had listened to Youtube at a very modest volume, the alarm is essentially inaudible if not actually wearing the earphones)

Here's the bug report file generated right after today's initial occurrence.

Top Kudoed Authors