Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovouser10001
Paper Tape
Views: 3,082
Message 1 of 29

Moto G5 Plus and Google Wifi Connectivity Issue

I am having a VERY strange issue. I have owned and used Google Wifi for many months without any problems. I used to own a Moto G4 and it worked fine over Google Wifi from all of my access points. I just purchased a brand new Moto G5 Plus mobile phone. The Moto G5 Plus can connect to my wifi network but cannot access the internet on my wireless network from the secondary AP's. Access from the phone to the internet while connected on the primary AP works fine. Access to other devices on the wifi network from the phone seems to work fine. Pings to IP addresses on the internet work from my wifi troubleshooting app. If I type in the IP of a website like ESPN.com into Chrome it is EXTREMELY slow (the page either never loads or small parts of it does and then times out). Could it be a DNS issue, could be a wfi quality issue? I can't figure out how to troubleshoot these devices since they are so locked down. Can you help me diagnose the issue?

What I've already tried, which did not work:
Factory reset phone and applied all updates twice
Restart Google Wifi
Hard restart all Verizon gear (left powered off for 30 mins)
Hard restart Google Wifi (left powered off for 30 mins)
Gave the mobile phone a valid static IP and used all the other valid network settings from another device (gateway, DNS, etc).
Tried the phone on at least 10 other wifi networks, everything works fine.

Also: I just read on this forum that the G5 Plus only supports 2.4 Ghz on channels 1-11. My Google Wifi supports 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. The 2.4 Ghz network is operating on channels 6 (primary AP and one secondary AP) and 11 (a secondary AP). The 5 Ghz network is operating on channel 149. My phone is connecting to the wireless over 5 Ghz on channel 149. So I'm not sure if that is part of the problem or not? Any advice you can share will help!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,041
Message 2 of 29

Re: Moto G5 Plus and Google Wifi Connectivity Issue

@Lenovouser10001 wrote:

I am having a VERY strange issue. I have owned and used Google Wifi for many months without any problems. I used to own a Moto G4 and it worked fine over Google Wifi from all of my access points. I just purchased a brand new Moto G5 Plus mobile phone. The Moto G5 Plus can connect to my wifi network but cannot access the internet on my wireless network from the secondary AP's. Access from the phone to the internet while connected on the primary AP works fine. Access to other devices on the wifi network from the phone seems to work fine. Pings to IP addresses on the internet work from my wifi troubleshooting app. If I type in the IP of a website like ESPN.com into Chrome it is EXTREMELY slow (the page either never loads or small parts of it does and then times out). Could it be a DNS issue, could be a wfi quality issue? I can't figure out how to troubleshoot these devices since they are so locked down. Can you help me diagnose the issue?

What I've already tried, which did not work:
Factory reset phone and applied all updates twice
Restart Google Wifi
Hard restart all Verizon gear (left powered off for 30 mins)
Hard restart Google Wifi (left powered off for 30 mins)
Gave the mobile phone a valid static IP and used all the other valid network settings from another device (gateway, DNS, etc).
Tried the phone on at least 10 other wifi networks, everything works fine.

Also: I just read on this forum that the G5 Plus only supports 2.4 Ghz on channels 1-11. My Google Wifi supports 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. The 2.4 Ghz network is operating on channels 6 (primary AP and one secondary AP) and 11 (a secondary AP). The 5 Ghz network is operating on channel 149. My phone is connecting to the wireless over 5 Ghz on channel 149. So I'm not sure if that is part of the problem or not? Any advice you can share will help!

As far as i know the G5 supports both 2.4 and 5ghz - you indicate you are connecting on 5ghz, so that tends to confirm it. I don't see anything with your channel allocation to indicate a problem. 

Everything you describe points to the google wifi mesh network , but i have no idea how to troubleshoot it. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
akilpat
Paper Tape
Views: 2,948
Message 3 of 29

I just bought at Moto G5s Plus and I'm having the same issue. I tried resetting the phone and router, no luck

akilpat
Paper Tape
Views: 2,913
Message 4 of 29

Also, one thing I just discovered is that I don’t have the issue with wifi from the secondary access point when I’m connected to my google wifi guest network, only on the main network. Not sure what insight that might provide.

dcsj
Punch Card
Views: 2,890
Message 5 of 29

This problem is not specific to Google WiFi Mesh.  The G5 WiFi does not work.  See other forum discussion:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/MotoG5thGen/thread-id/515/page/1

akilpat
Paper Tape
Views: 2,882
Message 6 of 29

I saw the other post when I was searching for a solution to my problem, but I'm not having any trouble with wifi on any other network, and only on my google wifi under the specific circumstances outlined above, so this is actually a different issue.

dcsj
Punch Card
Views: 2,880
Message 7 of 29

Thanks. Good to know. I'll do more testing on my Google WiFi and other networks.
emrwilks
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,838
Message 8 of 29

Hi, just wondered if you resolved this? I have exact same issue - guest WiFi works but main WiFi does not. Very frustrating ...

dcsj
Punch Card
Views: 2,816
Message 9 of 29

No resolution. I saw on Google's WiFi forum that folks are also having this problem with the Moto Z2, and one user with Samsung Note 8.

Lenovouser10001
Paper Tape
Views: 2,795
Message 10 of 29

This is an answer to my post on the Google Wifi forum:

I and others have the same issue with the Moto G5 Plus.  Here's some data from my tests:

- On the Mesh Points and Main WiFi, Moto G5 connects but loses internet access after a few seconds.
- On the Mesh Points and Guest WiFi, Moto G5 works fine.
- On the Primary Point and Main WiFi, Moto G5 works fine.
- On the Primary Point and Guest WiFi, Moto G5 works fine.
- All other devices (including a Moto G4) works fine on Primary and Mesh points, for Main and Guest WiFi.
- Moto G5 works fine with the WiFi at my work (dont know the brand / type of WAP, but it's campus wide).
- Moto G5 works fine when I set up a hotspot with my Moto G4.

What is the difference between the Primary Point Main WiFi vs Mesh Points Main WiFi?
What is the difference between the Mesh Points Main WiFi and Mesh Points Guest WiFi?

Knowing this may help identify the root problem... until then, using the Guest WiFi as workaround.

Creating a guest network worked for me as well, that's my workaround for now.

The crazy thing is that the guest network uses the same AP's with the same MAC Addresses and the same 5 Ghz signal and still on channel 149, it literally looks like the private network, the only difference appears to be the SSID. There s something deep within the Moto G5 going on here that is screwing up, considering no other devices on my network have this issue.

Top Kudoed Authors