Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Erecshyrinol
Punch Card
Views: 1,116
Message 1 of 18

Moto G5 Plus gapless playback not working on most player apps

Hi,

Something I've been wondering for a while: why do so many music player apps have problems playing audio gaplessly on the Moto G5 Plus? Or is it just me and my particular phone? So far I've tried nine different player apps and all but two have slight pauses between tracks. Quite distracting when listening to albums where songs transitions should be seamless.

Apps I've tried that don't play gaplessly: Eon Music Player, BlackPlayer, Pulsar, Odyssey, Phonograph, Musicolet, and VLC. And this despite quite a few of them specifically supposed to be having gapless support.

Foobar2000 and Onkyo HF Player have so far been the only ones to play gaplessly, but neither of those would be near my top picks for a player app, due to the former having a somewhat clunky and sometimes unintuitive UI, the latter being bloated, ad-ridden and not having that great of a UI.

Pretty disappointing, as I had been considering getting a high capacity MicroSD card and having my phone handle all my portable music playing needs. Smiley Indifferent

Any ideas, suggestions, etc?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,065
Message 2 of 18

Re: Moto G5 Plus gapless playback not working on most player apps

Hi, Erecshyrinol.

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it. We have shared your details with our product team. We will keep you posted here for any updates.

Meanwhile, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here -

Thanks,

Swaraj

Moto Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Erecshyrinol
Punch Card
Views: 1,037
Message 3 of 18

Thanks for the reminder, I just updated my profile with my phone info and turned on the Motorola Privacy features. I presume just the serial or IMEI is fine, since there's not enough room in that text field for both? (I went with serial)

'Phone carrier' didn't have any of the Finnish providers listed, so I left that as "not listed".

Today I tested playback with a seamlessly flowing album in FLAC format (as lossless should be inherently gapless by design), but it's the same as with MP3s.

Regarding MP3s, the ones I have are all properly encoded from CDs with a modern codec (vast majority done with LAME 3,97b), so I feel there shouldn't be issues with the files themselves; I haven't had such gapless issue with other devices.

Edit: Oh, and to add some more info, I've tested with music played both from the internal memory and a MicroSD card, with both functioning the same way as already described.

Thanks.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,028
Message 4 of 18

Hi, Erecshyrinol

Thank you for updating your profile, we have not received any update so far. We will keep you posted on any further updates received.

Thanks,

Swaraj

Moto Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 995
Message 5 of 18

Since it works with some apps, it doesn't seem to be a phone issue.

Can you say a little more about what you are looking for? When you say gapless, are you looking for something adjustable, or fade-in of the next song? I tried the free version of the Eon Player and there is no gapless setting. Is that in the Pro version? FWIW, the gaps between songs was just what I would have expected on an album, etc. (I guess I should test using Dark Side of the Moon. That's the true gapless test...)

If we know which app(s) you prefer and exactly what you want to experience, we could do some testing.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Erecshyrinol
Punch Card
Views: 980
Message 6 of 18

Gapless working on some apps made me think as well that it's probably more of an app than phone issue. But then it's odd how on some apps that are supposed to have gapless support song transitions work like it isn't working at all.

With gapless I mean just that, transitioning between songs without a pause, not fade-ins or other user-adjustable features like silence-skipping, etc.

With gapless playback, there shouldn't be any extra added or removed, just the songs playing without audible pauses between them. Dark Side of the Moon is a good example of such an album. Devin Townsend also has quite a few albums that are mixed to flow seamlessly like that. Plus any live albums that have audience noise and where the tracks don't fade in and out.

The music app I've used the most is Pulsar. I've also dabbled with BlackPlayer and quite liked it too, though Pulsar is by far my primary music app of choice. Both specifically should support gapless. It would be great if you could test out these two.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 955
Message 7 of 18

@Erecshyrinol wrote:

Gapless working on some apps made me think as well that it's probably more of an app than phone issue. But then it's odd how on some apps that are supposed to have gapless support song transitions work like it isn't working at all.

With gapless I mean just that, transitioning between songs without a pause, not fade-ins or other user-adjustable features like silence-skipping, etc.

With gapless playback, there shouldn't be any extra added or removed, just the songs playing without audible pauses between them. Dark Side of the Moon is a good example of such an album. Devin Townsend also has quite a few albums that are mixed to flow seamlessly like that. Plus any live albums that have audience noise and where the tracks don't fade in and out.

The music app I've used the most is Pulsar. I've also dabbled with BlackPlayer and quite liked it too, though Pulsar is by far my primary music app of choice. Both specifically should support gapless. It would be great if you could test out these two.

I will. I'll check back tomorrow as I need to get my DSOTM files from home. Smiley Very Happy

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Erecshyrinol
Punch Card
Views: 939
Message 8 of 18

Alright, cool! Smiley Happy

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 910
Message 9 of 18

I didn't have any luck either. I tried DSOTM. Now granted, that was a terrible download due to the gaps -- what were they thinking? But the gapless setting in Pulsar didn't help. I also tried a Laura Nyro album where the first two songs particularly merge. The gap was tiny but not invisible.

I tried Eon too, regular and Pro, but that app doesn't even promise gapless and there is no setting for it.

I tried on two phones, the 5Plus and the Moto Z2 Force and both are the same. On what phone has this app worked and been totally gapless?

- Matt

PS I tried those two you said supported gapless and had no luck with either of them. No setting for gapless and it sure didn't do it as a default...

Erecshyrinol
Punch Card
Views: 660
Message 10 of 18

Oh, it's been a while! I guess some reporting is in order.

In total, I've now tried about twenty different music player apps, most of which didn't play gapless properly. (and as I've mentioned, those that did also always seemed to have some annoying quirk or flaw to them).

Then I stumbled upon Omni Music Player and gave it a try despite it not even advertising gapless. But lo and behold! It plays gapless nevertheless! I also give Phonogpraph another try, and for some reason that does gapless now as well! Smiley Happy

...That is, until today. Mysteriously, both of those apps start again having slight gaps between seamlessly segueing songs.

This is getting really bizarre... Smiley Indifferent

Top Kudoed Authors