cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oidipous
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,680
Message 1 of 15

[Moto G5 Plus] not able to switch to LDAC codec (headphone: Sony WH-1000XM3)

Hi all,

I hope one of you can help me.

Since 2 weeks I have updated my OS of my Moto to android 8.1.0. One of the new features is being able to switch to LDAC Codec.

Today i bought a new headset, Sony WH-1000XM3, which is compatible with LDAC codec, so i want to switch my codec output to LDAC.

Somehow i am not able to switch to LDAC, it keeps switching to Quallcom aptx Audio when i leave the menu.

What am i doing wrong?

I've done the following things:

- Install the Sony Headphone app and making sure my product is registered.

- In the Sony Headphone app switch on the "sound quality preference" (this should enable switching to aptx/LDAC)

- Enable developer options.

- Go to Codec in developer options and select LDAC.

Thank you in advance for helping.

Kind regards, Johan

motofosi
Paper Tape
Views: 1,527
Message 2 of 15

Re: [Moto G5 Plus] not able to switch to LDAC codec (headphone: Sony WH-1000XM3)

I also has the same issue with FiiO BTR3 receiver. Atleast it should support LDAC because it's build-in with Oreo. I wouldn't bought my BTR3 and save another $70 if the G5+ with Oreo doesn't show that it has AptX-HD/LDAC support in the options. We NEED accurate answer for this.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,485
Message 3 of 15

Re: [Moto G5 Plus] not able to switch to LDAC codec (headphone: Sony WH-1000XM3)

Hi Oidipous,

Let me know if this link helps: https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1000x/v1/en/contents/TP0001176179.html

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Oidipous
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,475
Message 4 of 15

Hi Agent_JM, i've enabled "Priority on sound quality" in the Sony app. According to Sony this will enable access to codecs Aptx and Aptx HD from Quallcom and LDAC from Sony. If you do not enable this feature, you will be stuck at the SBC codec with the lowest bitrate. In my case i'm listening my music with Aptx codec (this also shows when i show the properties of my bluetooth headset. In other words, yes i have it enabled and i cannot still switch to LDAC.

Thank you for trying to help me.

RNY71
Paper Tape
Views: 1,439
Message 5 of 15

I am having the same issue on the G6 after the September Android Security update was installed. In my case I can manually choose SBC, AAC, and regular aptX. I cant choose LDAC or aptX-HD. Same headphones. It did work until the update was installed

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,379
Message 6 of 15

@Oidipous wrote:

Hi Agent_JM, i've enabled "Priority on sound quality" in the Sony app. According to Sony this will enable access to codecs Aptx and Aptx HD from Quallcom and LDAC from Sony. If you do not enable this feature, you will be stuck at the SBC codec with the lowest bitrate. In my case i'm listening my music with Aptx codec (this also shows when i show the properties of my bluetooth headset. In other words, yes i have it enabled and i cannot still switch to LDAC.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Just to confirm, you have also done this on the headset itself, correct?

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Oidipous
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,353
Message 7 of 15

That's correct. When i check my settings the indicator flashes 3 times, indicating that it is prioritised on sound quality, 

joejoinerr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,298
Message 8 of 15

Just found this thread because I have the same issue on my Moto G5S. I bought these headphones because I saw that they work with LDAC on my phone. Switched settings to Prioritise sound quality but I'm still unable to change the codec from the menu in developer options. Always stuck on aptX standard no matter what I select from the menu.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,219
Message 9 of 15

I just got an update about this. I'm afraid the Moto G5 Plus hardware does not support LDAC codec, that's why it's reverting back to the other codec. Even if it's built-in to Oreo, if there's no hardware to support it, it will not work.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

joejoinerr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,185
Message 10 of 15

Thanks for coming back on this. That's disappointing to hear but makes sense. A lot of the resources online with specs for the phone list that LDAC is available which is why I bought the headphones. Must only be assumption.

Joe
Top Kudoed Authors