Re: Moto G5 Plus not charging & reverse charging after Oreo 8.1 Update

This is 100% a software issue.

Highlighted
heelstriker
Paper Tape
Views: 523
Message 12 of 16

Any resolve to this issue? My son's phone is doing this after the OTA update. The phone's estimate was 3 days to full charge, and I think even that was optomistic. This update has essentially bricked the phone, as it can't be used with only 10% battery life. I thought that Moto was the way to go and was going to start updating my fleet of HTC's, but after this happened, I'll be finding a different manufacturer.

Gabriel-
Paper Tape
Views: 415
Message 13 of 16

Updating: It turned out to be (in part) my USB connector at the bottom of the phone. The new motorola's software may be checking how well the phone is charging (by checking the amps or the voltage, i.e.) and not accepting small values.
I suspecated it could be my charging port after I left my phone for 3 weeks in a drawer wainting for a official RETUS stock rom (different of my AMZ) to be released so I could try to flash it and see if it works. But when put the phone in fastboot mode, it started to blink the word "charging" as if the cable was been pluged in and removed very quickly. As it was not doing it in fastboot before, I send it to the repair. It turend out my charging port was a little oxidated and the replace was need. Notice that the charging port was working fine for data transfer. I had also flashed again the stock ROM via Lenovo Moto Smart Assitant (LMSA) (if you have Windows OS you should try it before paying for any repair).
I've been to the repair store 3 times one to check it, second to delivery it and finally to get my phone fixed back. In all three times there was people deliviring Moto G5 / Plus / S repporting charging problems. It seens that after google sold motorola again it came back to the same old motorola... It was my fourth motorola's phone. I had the motorola spice xt300, the Atrix 4G, Moto G 2013 first gen and now the G5 Plus. This Amazon G5 Plus was a fiasco! I was the second time I had to repair it (first time was the chip and sd card reader broken). I couldn't had the bootloader unlocked to downgrade or to install another rom because AMZ phones aren't elected for unlock... a complete mess... I don't recomend it any more and won't buy any motorola's phone any time soon.
hope you guys have better luck

manjeet5
What's DOS?
Views: 259
Message 14 of 16

after an update my moto g5s plus is not charging in its usual way.Even after replacing a number of adapter and charging cables its charge so slowly that in whole night it charges only 20% and that too in switched off mode.

this is the policy of a couple of mobile companies these days that after launching their new handset they slow down the old versions and i cant even believe that i prestigious company like moto can be the master of this ugly game.now the only thing I can say that either provide solution of my problem by some kind of update otherwise I will never ever buy a moto/lenovo mobile,nor let my relatives or contact persons to buy any device of such a company.thank you.

@dbspin wrote:

Hi,

My provider offered an update to Oreo 8.1 a couple of days ago via a status message on my Moto G5 Plus. I immediately updated, and following that installed a cumulative security update that was also offered.

Since then I've been unable to charge the phone properly. I've tried muliple usb cables and chargers. When plugged in, the phone flashes between the charging indicator a blank screen, and a percentage indicator. This percentage seems to go both up and down. If I leave the phone plugged in over night it finishes with somewhere between 19 - 30%. 

Edit: Forgot to mention, the phone will not charge at all when turned on. Only when turned off. It's not running hot or draining quickly or other issues mentioned in similar battery thread.

Any idea how I can fix this problem? I'm worried about even trying a factory reset as the phone likely doesn't have the charge at any point to safely do this. 

manjeet5
What's DOS?
Views: 259
Message 15 of 16

after an update my moto g5s plus is not charging in its usual way.Even after replacing a number of adapter and charging cables its charge so slowly that in whole night it charges only 20% and that too in switched off mode.

this is the policy of a couple of mobile companies these days that after launching their new handset they slow down the old versions by some kind of update and i can't even believe that a prestigious company like moto can be the master of this ugly game.now the only thing I can say that either provide solution of my problem by some kind of update otherwise I will never ever buy a moto/lenovo mobile,nor let my relatives or contact persons to buy any device of such a company.thank you.

Tominator1982
What's DOS?
Views: 222
Message 16 of 16

Hello Guys,

Has anyone ever found a resolution to this? My wife never runs updates so a few days ago I ran about 5 in a row on her G5S Plus, including the Oreo then security update. As soon as that was installed she began suffering the same issues as described here.

I have contacted support who told me to try battery calibration but I cannot do that as the battery will not charge when the phone is on. In fact it drains rapidly. So I proceeded to a factory reset (after taking hours to back up pictures, SMS, etc) but the problem persists.

This is unacceptable as Motorola have broken a perfectly functional phone with a faulty update and have no solution!!!!

Thanks,

Tom.

Top Kudoed Authors