Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbspin
Paper Tape
Views: 522
Message 1 of 12

Moto G5 Plus not charging & reverse charging after Oreo 8.1 Update

Hi,

My provider offered an update to Oreo 8.1 a couple of days ago via a status message on my Moto G5 Plus. I immediately updated, and following that installed a cumulative security update that was also offered.

Since then I've been unable to charge the phone properly. I've tried muliple usb cables and chargers. When plugged in, the phone flashes between the charging indicator a blank screen, and a percentage indicator. This percentage seems to go both up and down. If I leave the phone plugged in over night it finishes with somewhere between 19 - 30%. 

Edit: Forgot to mention, the phone will not charge at all when turned on. Only when turned off. It's not running hot or draining quickly or other issues mentioned in similar battery thread.

Any idea how I can fix this problem? I'm worried about even trying a factory reset as the phone likely doesn't have the charge at any point to safely do this. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 426
Message 2 of 12

Re: Moto G5 Plus not charging & reverse charging after Oreo 8.1 Update

Hi dbspin,

Welcome to Forums,

We apologize for this. Since you have tried with Factory Data Reset may I know how did you do? soft reset or hard reset.

Have you tried without restoring apps? if so, It would be best to bring this to our Service Center because we are unable to properly evaluate your phone.

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

dbspin
Paper Tape
Views: 398
Message 3 of 12

Hi,

I did not try a factory reset - please see my previous message. The phone is charging so little that I'm afraid to try to factory reset it, since it might not have enough power to get through the process and this may brick the phone.

Gabriel-
Paper Tape
Views: 311
Message 4 of 12

Exactly same issue here. Just got the OTA update two days ago. 

Edit:

In fact, this night I realized it's actually charging super slowly and with no indication (no charging icon, no phrase at the bottom) and when  I went to battery details it says it's been charged two days ago (as if the current charge hadn't been recognized). It took about four hours to charge 50%.

Tryied to charge in safe mode with different charges and same thing happened.

Although when the phone is switched off it does recognize the charging showing the big lighting icon for some seconds and go to the icon with battery level indication. As soon as the icon with battery level indication shows up it reboots, go back to the lighting icon and keep doing while charging.

shashankkr10
What's DOS?
Views: 250
Message 5 of 12

Hello,

I have the exact same problem. Glad to know that my charging port is fine. Was anybobdy able to fix this? 

dbspin
Paper Tape
Views: 240
Message 6 of 12

No luck as yet, if I leave it charging over night it seems to charge to a certain amount - sometimes 20% sometimes 50%, but still not getting anywhere near a full charge. Really worried I'm burning out the battery with charging stopping and starting.

dbspin
Paper Tape
Views: 220
Message 7 of 12

Last night, plugged in all night. Only charged to 14%. Arg.

Gabriel-
Paper Tape
Views: 212
Message 8 of 12

Mine still the same. I pluged it in last nigth when it was 7% of battery. Charged (with no sign of battery chargin or plugged in icon in notification) the whole night and in the morning it still showing 7%... rebooted and it showed 99%.

Cleared my cache partition yesterday, but the bug persists.
Also, I received another update this morning. Just installed it and I feel its hadn't resolve the problem. I'm considering a downgrade (dont know how yet.). I saw lot of reports of people having battery draining which is where our charging problem will take us.Screenshot_20181129-102549.pngScreenshot_20181129-104637.png

dbspin
Paper Tape
Views: 181
Message 9 of 12

Update - managed to get it to charge enough to do a cache clear and factory reset. 

Did not help. Phone will still only charge when turned off, and still seems to only charge to a random amount.

leonelimg
Paper Tape
Views: 134
Message 10 of 12

Same issue here. Beyond that I have the same behavior as your phone, mine is able to charge with the icon indicator rightly when connecting the charger immediately after a restart. Contacted Lenovo support today and they say that my phone has a battery problem and I have to send it to a technician (out of support). The thing is that with nougat I hadn't this issue.

Top Kudoed Authors