Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-02-2017

United States of America

3 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 91 of 911

Re: Moto G5 Plus - wifi problem

2017-07-02, 16:12 PM

Hi,

Encryption incompatability.

I logged into my home router, modified the encryption/security setting of my SSID from "WPA-password", to "WPA-PSK".

Moto G5 plug connects to router with no issues now.

Thanks,

Douglas

Options

1 Posts

07-05-2017

Brazil

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 92 of 911

2017-07-05, 16:32 PM

I am having the same problem, can`t connect to my wifi, it says authentication problems, and i am 100% sure the password is correct, I`ve read that changing the router settings could solve this, though I don`t know how to do this and believe many common users don`t know as well. is this a software problem? does all moto g5 plus have this issue?

Options

4 Posts

07-07-2017

Peru

3 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 93 of 911

2017-07-07, 5:51 AM

Hi,

I purchased the moto g5 plus yesterday and I've been having issues with the wifi connection. It even affects my modem and makes my laptop have internet problems too. Is there a fix to this? Apparently the moto g5 software is not picking up the wifi correctly and it's making conflicts with the modem.

Hope it gets fixed soon.

Greeting from Peru

Options

4 Posts

07-07-2017

Peru

3 Signins

62 Page Views

• Message 94 of 911

2017-07-07, 5:54 AM

I'd be glad to send you my routers configuration screenshots if that helps fix the issue. Got the phone for 1 day and already want to return it :/

Options

4 Posts

07-07-2017

Peru

3 Signins

62 Page Views

• Message 95 of 911

2017-07-07, 6:00 AM

I have the EXACT same problem. My house wifi goes down when I turn on my phones wifi

Options

4 Posts

07-07-2017

Peru

3 Signins

62 Page Views

• Message 96 of 911

2017-07-07, 14:56 PM

I tested my wifi with a modem without security and seems to work just fine. Probably moto g5 plus problem is when a modem has encryption configured

Options

2 Posts

07-09-2017

United States of America

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 97 of 911

2017-07-09, 18:59 PM

wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am an IT certified professional, I do not work for Lenovo or Motorola. I was able to figure out a way to fix this wifi connectivity issue on my own. I am not sure if it will work for you all, but it's worth a try. So I did a few troubleshooting tests to see what works and what doesn't. I configured my router to turn on guest network, I connected my G5 phone to it and the Wifi worked. My thing is I don't want to use guest network as it is not encrypted... I later tried the wifi at a few public locations such as walmart and a hotel; again my G5 maintained connectivity. However, they were all guest networks and with no encryption. This led me to think that the G5 was not registering the encryption type of my home network. The following steps I took in order for the phone to maintain wifi connectivity with wpa2 encryption.

First few steps I took is I followed all suggestions that were posted in this thread, which are:

Forget networks

Reset network settings to default

Turn off wifi location scanning

In your wifi router configuration switch to channel 10 for your 2.4Ghz connection with WPA2 encryption

Now, with another phone (borrow your significant other's phone) I turned on the hotspot with wpa2 encryption. On my G5 I entered the passphrase I needed for the hotspot and it connected. Connection was steady and no disconnects. I disconnected from the hotspot and later connected to my home wifi network and now it works fine.

Conclusion, possibly the phone did not register the home wifi network encryption correctly and it just needed to be reset by connecting to a different device with wpa2 encryption enabled or what not. 

I hope this may help you all

Thank you so much! I followed your guide step by step and my G5 plus now stays connected with my home WiFi with no issues. 

Options

2 Posts

07-09-2017

United States of America

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 98 of 911

2017-07-09, 19:07 PM

wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am an IT certified professional, I do not work for Lenovo or Motorola. I was able to figure out a way to fix this wifi connectivity issue on my own. I am not sure if it will work for you all, but it's worth a try. So I did a few troubleshooting tests to see what works and what doesn't. I configured my router to turn on guest network, I connected my G5 phone to it and the Wifi worked. My thing is I don't want to use guest network as it is not encrypted... I later tried the wifi at a few public locations such as walmart and a hotel; again my G5 maintained connectivity. However, they were all guest networks and with no encryption. This led me to think that the G5 was not registering the encryption type of my home network. The following steps I took in order for the phone to maintain wifi connectivity with wpa2 encryption.

First few steps I took is I followed all suggestions that were posted in this thread, which are:

Forget networks

Reset network settings to default

Turn off wifi location scanning

In your wifi router configuration switch to channel 10 for your 2.4Ghz connection with WPA2 encryption

Now, with another phone (borrow your significant other's phone) I turned on the hotspot with wpa2 encryption. On my G5 I entered the passphrase I needed for the hotspot and it connected. Connection was steady and no disconnects. I disconnected from the hotspot and later connected to my home wifi network and now it works fine.

Conclusion, possibly the phone did not register the home wifi network encryption correctly and it just needed to be reset by connecting to a different device with wpa2 encryption enabled or what not. 

I hope this may help you all

Hello. Thank you so much for posting this!! 

I followed your guide step by step and now my G5 stays connected with my WiFi with no issues at all.

Options

2 Posts

04-01-2017

India

5 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 99 of 911

2017-07-13, 3:55 AM

i have the same disconnection problem, i did turn off the WiFi scanning.But no improvement..i thought it will get ok after bug fix update.. nothing happened

any suggestions what should i do ?! 

is there remedy?!

Options

56 Posts

06-02-2008

United States of America

118 Signins

1025 Page Views

• Views: 1025
  • Message 100 of 911

Re: Moto G5 Plus - wifi problem (a SOLUTION that works and some hints)

2017-07-15, 12:10 PM

Short story:  Had the same disconnect issues, but with the latest Moto update ca 7/14/2017 and after a network reset, all is good. FYI the latest Build Number is NPNS25.137-33-5 

Note that the update notes didn't mention resolving Wifi issues, maybe this is a byproduct of other changes or marketing "simplification". 

BEFORE that update, what did work was changing authentication to NOT auto and assigning a fixed channel for the router instead of letting it be auto.

Long story in case this is of interest to anyone:  I have this setup, two identical Moto G5 Plus (purchased 6/25/2017) on Sprint and a home wifi with two possible Wifi connections provided by either an older (2007?) Sonicwall TZ100 set up with WAP -xxx  and a Netgear N600 (with WNDR3400v3 latest available firmware) repurposed as an access point.  I noticed problems yesterday 7/14/207 with the Wifi connection dropping and trying to reconnect all the time, on the first Moto (A). 

Unfortunately I didn't check if  Moto (B) had the same issue. Why did I notice only yesterday, well it worked fine and would default to the slower Sprint LTE so I never paid much attention.  I had used the Moto (A) as hotspot using that Sprint LTE connection and it worked OK on my laptop with varying download speeds from 0.3 to 2 MBS, mostly in the upper range.

Getting back to what worked: modifiying the Sonicwall wifi settings to  Standard Radio Band (20 MHZ channel) and changing Channel from auto to Channel 6, and authentication from WPA2- auto PSK   to WPA2-PSK, also resetting network on the Moto (A) and powering down all routers for 5 minutes. Result: the Sonicwall Wifi stuck and worked fine, BUT the Moto  kept losing the Netgear N600 connection, thus forcing the Moto into LTE mode. 

With Moto (B) I could confirm that updating the firmware AND resetting network did resolve all issues, connections to the Sonicwall AND the Netgear are stable and steady. Without resetting the network, however, the Netgear connection was still disconnecting shortly after connection. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asus LG5, Toshiba M3, HP nc4400, Thinkpad R50, T61, T61p, X200 Tablet, X230, MacBook Air, T410, W510, T430s, T450s, Surface Pro, Yoga 260, Thinkpad T10, ...
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms