Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

07-30-2018

United States of America

33 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 661 of 911

Re: Does the Oreo update offer any hope of a fix?

2018-08-16, 23:28 PM

As an experiment, I turned off Location and was able to connect to my main (not guest) network.  HOWEVER, when I enabled Location, my main network disconnected and the connection went to my guest network.  

I then disabled Location and tried to connect to my main network again -- it never connected.  Instead, it went through the retry and thresholded and then I got the "IP Config failure."  

I even powered off/on the phone -- now, even with Location disabled, I CANNOT connect to my main network anymore.  I still am OK on my guest network.

Options

40 Posts

07-22-2011

United States of America

47 Signins

270 Page Views

• Views: 270
  • Message 662 of 911

Re: Moto G5 Plus - wifi problem

2018-08-16, 23:31 PM

My situation exactly - never had an issue until the last security issue, and I've had my phone since it first came out in 2017.

Options

17 Posts

08-10-2018

United States of America

55 Signins

224 Page Views

• Views: 224
  • Message 663 of 911

2018-08-16, 23:45 PM

When did Lenovo say it was fixed? And is there an issue with Google Mesh ? Too many have had issues to believe the router may be a problem

Options

8 Posts

07-15-2017

United States of America

43 Signins

157 Page Views

• Views: 157
  • Message 664 of 911

2018-08-17, 2:07 AM
3 weeks ago.
Options

22 Posts

05-25-2017

United States of America

21 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 665 of 911

2018-08-17, 15:35 PM

***SOLUTION FOR CRICKET AND POSSIBLY AT&T USERS*** I travel a lot and have always had trouble with hotel wifi but no problems at home. Around the start of August I noticed that the wifi connection dropping became much worse at the hotel, to the point I could barely get connected. I did notice a WIFI Manager notification pop up. I tried unsuccessfully to find and disable it. When I returned home, it would not connect automatically and would only maintain a manually forced connecttion for a few minutes. Out traveling again I looked at my MYCricket app to see how much data I had left and found "Cricket WIFI Manager" under Usage, then scroll down. I switched this OFF and both at the hotel and at home the wifi connects automatically and stays connected. This is touted as reducing your data usage by efficiently connecting to wifi. It seems to have the opposite effect, and since Cricket is part of AT&T, I imagine there's a similar app with this crappy wifi manager.

Options

22 Posts

05-25-2017

United States of America

21 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 666 of 911

2018-08-17, 15:41 PM

***SOLUTION FOR CRICKET AND POSSIBLY AT&T USERS*** I travel a lot and have always had trouble with hotel wifi but no problems at home. Around the start of August I noticed that the wifi connection dropping became much worse at the hotel, to the point I could barely get connected. I did notice a WIFI Manager notification pop up. I tried unsuccessfully to find and disable it. When I returned home, it would not connect automatically and would only maintain a manually forced connecttion for a few minutes. Out traveling again I looked at my MYCricket app to see how much data I had left and found "Cricket WIFI Manager" under Usage, then scroll down. I switched this OFF and both at the hotel and at home the wifi connects automatically and stays connected. This is touted as reducing your data usage by efficiently connecting to wifi. It seems to have the opposite effect, and since Cricket is part of AT&T, I imagine there's a similar app with this crappy wifi manager.

Options

30 Posts

11-23-2017

United States of America

44 Signins

569 Page Views

• Views: 569
  • Message 667 of 911

2018-08-17, 16:07 PM

@runnergirllk - Try connecting to the main network when you are standing next to the primary pod (i.e., the one connected to modem).

I posted this before, and will repost for new folks:

Nov 2017, bought 2 G5+ from Costco.  Both had WiFi problems with Google Mesh:

- Good connnection on main network when standing next to primary pod.

- No connection on main network when standing next to secondary pods.

- Good connection on guest network with any pod.

I returned the 2 bad G5+ to Costco for a refund.  Bought 2 more G5+ from Target.  G5s from Target worked perfectly on WiFi.  All 4 phones had the exact same OS.

I've kept the G5+s from Target since then, and have installed all the various OS updates (currently June 1 2018 patch).  WiFi has been perfect throughout.

My conclusion is some G5+ have defective motherboards or antennas.  Any system changes (OS, apps, battery saver, WAP) can cause the WiFi to disconnect.  Return it for a refund if you have a bad phone.

wrote:

As an experiment, I turned off Location and was able to connect to my main (not guest) network.  HOWEVER, when I enabled Location, my main network disconnected and the connection went to my guest network.  

I then disabled Location and tried to connect to my main network again -- it never connected.  Instead, it went through the retry and thresholded and then I got the "IP Config failure."  

I even powered off/on the phone -- now, even with Location disabled, I CANNOT connect to my main network anymore.  I still am OK on my guest network.

Options

19 Posts

07-30-2018

United States of America

33 Signins

151 Page Views

• Message 668 of 911

2018-08-17, 19:26 PM

Hello @dcsj

I experiemented as you recommended.  I was able to connect to my primary network.

I then toggled off and on at the other 2 secondary pods -- AND THEY CONNECTED TO MY PRIMARY NETWORK!!!  I was shocked.

So far, my phone has stayed connected to my primary network.

I left the house for about an hour and left WiFi on since I was at a neighbor's on their WiFi.  Came home -- my phone connected to on my PRIMARY network.  I just toggled my husband's phone to the primary network.

I will monitor this, of course.  It all makes ZERO sense since I have not picked up any fixes.  

Options

19 Posts

07-30-2018

United States of America

33 Signins

151 Page Views

• Message 669 of 911

2018-08-17, 19:27 PM

Also, unless Lenovo would get involved on a return, it's too late for us to return our phones since we bought them in March from B&H Audio/Video in NYC (bought online and had them shipped).  

Options

4 Posts

07-22-2017

United States of America

8 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 670 of 911

2018-08-18, 14:06 PM

Karlcliff,

Your solution worked!! My wifi seems to be working not. I have cricket wireless.. just turning off wifi manager fixed the issue. thank you very much for your help.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms