Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parthi22
Paper Tape
Views: 3,006
Message 91 of 847

Re: Moto G5 Plus - wifi problem

i have the same disconnection problem, i did turn off the WiFi scanning.But no improvement..i thought it will get ok after bug fix update.. nothing happened

any suggestions what should i do ?! 

is there remedy?!

xcln
SCSI Port
Views: 3,377
Message 92 of 847

Re: Moto G5 Plus - wifi problem (a SOLUTION that works and some hints)

Short story:  Had the same disconnect issues, but with the latest Moto update ca 7/14/2017 and after a network reset, all is good. FYI the latest Build Number is NPNS25.137-33-5 

Note that the update notes didn't mention resolving Wifi issues, maybe this is a byproduct of other changes or marketing "simplification". 

BEFORE that update, what did work was changing authentication to NOT auto and assigning a fixed channel for the router instead of letting it be auto.

Long story in case this is of interest to anyone:  I have this setup, two identical Moto G5 Plus (purchased 6/25/2017) on Sprint and a home wifi with two possible Wifi connections provided by either an older (2007?) Sonicwall TZ100 set up with WAP -xxx  and a Netgear N600 (with WNDR3400v3 latest available firmware) repurposed as an access point.  I noticed problems yesterday 7/14/207 with the Wifi connection dropping and trying to reconnect all the time, on the first Moto (A). 

Unfortunately I didn't check if  Moto (B) had the same issue. Why did I notice only yesterday, well it worked fine and would default to the slower Sprint LTE so I never paid much attention.  I had used the Moto (A) as hotspot using that Sprint LTE connection and it worked OK on my laptop with varying download speeds from 0.3 to 2 MBS, mostly in the upper range.

Getting back to what worked: modifiying the Sonicwall wifi settings to  Standard Radio Band (20 MHZ channel) and changing Channel from auto to Channel 6, and authentication from WPA2- auto PSK   to WPA2-PSK, also resetting network on the Moto (A) and powering down all routers for 5 minutes. Result: the Sonicwall Wifi stuck and worked fine, BUT the Moto  kept losing the Netgear N600 connection, thus forcing the Moto into LTE mode. 

With Moto (B) I could confirm that updating the firmware AND resetting network did resolve all issues, connections to the Sonicwall AND the Netgear are stable and steady. Without resetting the network, however, the Netgear connection was still disconnecting shortly after connection. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asus LG5, Toshiba M3, HP nc4400, Thinkpad R50, T61, T61p, X200 Tablet, X230, MacBook Air, T410, W510, T430s, T450s, Surface Pro
xcln
SCSI Port
Views: 3,378
Message 93 of 847

Re Malfoid 's post 07-09-2017 11:59 AM one page earlier on another method that worked for him

@Malfoid wrote:

@MustSee wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am an IT certified professional, I do not work for Lenovo or Motorola. I was able to figure out a way to fix this wifi connectivity issue on my own. I am not sure if it will work for you all, but it's worth a try. So I did a few troubleshooting tests to see what works and what doesn't. I configured my router to turn on guest network, I connected my G5 phone to it and the Wifi worked. My thing is I don't want to use guest network as it is not encrypted... I later tried the wifi at a few public locations such as walmart and a hotel; again my G5 maintained connectivity. However, they were all guest networks and with no encryption. This led me to think that the G5 was not registering the encryption type of my home network. The following steps I took in order for the phone to maintain wifi connectivity with wpa2 encryption.

First few steps I took is I followed all suggestions that were posted in this thread, which are:

Forget networks

Reset network settings to default

Turn off wifi location scanning

In your wifi router configuration switch to channel 10 for your 2.4Ghz connection with WPA2 encryption

Now, with another phone (borrow your significant other's phone) I turned on the hotspot with wpa2 encryption. On my G5 I entered the passphrase I needed for the hotspot and it connected. Connection was steady and no disconnects. I disconnected from the hotspot and later connected to my home wifi network and now it works fine.

Conclusion, possibly the phone did not register the home wifi network encryption correctly and it just needed to be reset by connecting to a different device with wpa2 encryption enabled or what not. 

I hope this may help you all

Thank you so much! I followed your guide step by step and my G5 plus now stays connected with my home WiFi with no issues. 

Wish I'd seen this before attempting other fixes. Sounds like a great clue as to what is happening, and why it isn't necessarily happening for a majority of people.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asus LG5, Toshiba M3, HP nc4400, Thinkpad R50, T61, T61p, X200 Tablet, X230, MacBook Air, T410, W510, T430s, T450s, Surface Pro
Time4u
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,357
Message 94 of 847

Hello, I am having the same wifi issue with my wifi being discontinued and using my data. I just bought the phone from Costco ( a week ago) and i have done all the trouble shooting I found on the forum except going into my router but nothing happens.

I tried updating the firmware which someone suggested and it said I have the latest firmware. I tried the hotspot trouble shooting and it works like a charm. When I use free Wi-Fi spot, I don't have a problem so the problem is the secured Wi-Fi.  

This is a great phone and if I can't get this resolved, I'll have to return back to Costco. So sad that Lenovo can't seem to fix this problem. 

xcln
SCSI Port
Views: 3,142
Message 95 of 847

Sorry to hear this is still a problme for you.  Why not try tweaking the router security settings though? and be sure to follow all the steps mentioned (reset the network, shut down router and all for 10 minutes etc).

All the best, X

Time4u
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,096
Message 96 of 847

Thank you.  I can try resetting my router but i am kind of worried should in case i visit some friend's place and cannot access their wifi.  I am supprised lenovo has not resolved this issue.  

Thanks again for your time.

Avalius
Paper Tape
Views: 3,066
Message 97 of 847

Update on the G5, didn't fix it. Working on the router is one thing but every modem here in Belgium is giving problems. To bad I'm the only complaining here, they do it on  webstore review pages. Wasted my mobile data again thx to disconnecting from wifi. Every decent company fixes stuff like this so I'm just waiting. 

xcln
SCSI Port
Views: 3,060
Message 98 of 847

Just to make sure: according to Malfoid (see a couple posts above) this can also be fixed by using another hotspot temporarily  - maybe worth trying if you haven't done it. Of course not everyone has another G5 to do the maneuver, but maybe try with another cellphone?  This seems NOT to be a universal issue, else it *would* have been fixed,

Jake502
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,049
Message 99 of 847

A phone like this... The Moto G5... I thought it was a dream come true. But now my dream has been stepped on and destroyed. The WiFi just randomly disconnects and connects for no reason. It's so frustrating when you buy a near perfect phone that doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

I'll try every step suggested in this thread. Probably gonna post a bug report too. I should hope that there will be an update in the near future to fix this problem. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,938
Message 100 of 847

Hello everyone,

I would just like to check back if anyone is still experiencing this concern after the recent software update that rolled out. If there are still some, please reset network settings and let us know what happens.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors