Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sid_s
Paper Tape
Views: 3,691
Message 71 of 847

Re: Moto G5 Plus - wifi problem

Got a new MotoG5 yesterday, and ran into this problem. I see there are many threads for this problem here and on other sites as well but no solution. Can someone from Lenovo / Motorola please provide some insight on this problem and perhaps a solution or a workaround 

PS: Tried disabling wifi scanning reset network settings, problem is still there. 

MustSee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,586
Message 72 of 847

Hello everyone,

I am an IT certified professional, I do not work for Lenovo or Motorola. I was able to figure out a way to fix this wifi connectivity issue on my own. I am not sure if it will work for you all, but it's worth a try. So I did a few troubleshooting tests to see what works and what doesn't. I configured my router to turn on guest network, I connected my G5 phone to it and the Wifi worked. My thing is I don't want to use guest network as it is not encrypted... I later tried the wifi at a few public locations such as walmart and a hotel; again my G5 maintained connectivity. However, they were all guest networks and with no encryption. This led me to think that the G5 was not registering the encryption type of my home network. The following steps I took in order for the phone to maintain wifi connectivity with wpa2 encryption.

First few steps I took is I followed all suggestions that were posted in this thread, which are:

Forget networks

Reset network settings to default

Turn off wifi location scanning

In your wifi router configuration switch to channel 10 for your 2.4Ghz connection with WPA2 encryption

Now, with another phone (borrow your significant other's phone) I turned on the hotspot with wpa2 encryption. On my G5 I entered the passphrase I needed for the hotspot and it connected. Connection was steady and no disconnects. I disconnected from the hotspot and later connected to my home wifi network and now it works fine.

Conclusion, possibly the phone did not register the home wifi network encryption correctly and it just needed to be reset by connecting to a different device with wpa2 encryption enabled or what not. 

I hope this may help you all

AbKrSo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,581
Message 73 of 847

I also face the same issue. Wifi will disconnect and connect itself back randomly. Most of the times, my PC will also be connected and so I have verified that router and internet connection were working fine as I could use internet on my laptop while connected to the same network. G5 plus had very basic problems Lenovo. Definitely not worth for a phone costing 17000.

Indigoanalysis
What's DOS?
Views: 3,492
Message 74 of 847

Just bought my Moto G5. But it is disappointing to see the wifi getting disconnected after around 5 minutes. And there's no way it connects again unless I resatrt my modem. I have a Netgear c3000 router.

Avalius
Paper Tape
Views: 3,446
Message 75 of 847

Same with moto G5. Going to give it, 10 days from now and i'm returning it to the store. Considering the complaints here. Corrupt SD cards, now this wifi problem. Dear god, could burn my cash instead of spending it..

Avalius
Paper Tape
Views: 3,446
Message 76 of 847

And disabling that wifi scanning doesn't work. Makes it even worse here lol --> 100% firmware issue if you ask me.

riofurgay
Punch Card
Views: 3,376
Message 77 of 847

so, is lenovo gonna get off their ass and fix this problem or are these forums just a place to keep us busy and outta their hair?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,193
Message 78 of 847

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone confirm if you guys tried putting your phone into safe mode? We just want to know if there is an app that triggers wifi not to connect, I appreciate those who will try, thanks.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

KapilJoshi
Paper Tape
Views: 3,151
Message 79 of 847

There are no apps that actually trigger to disconnect wifi. I tried all possibilities including factory reset.

Avalius
Paper Tape
Views: 3,141
Message 80 of 847

Did the safety mode test. And the issue is still there. It's not about finding the wifi. It finds the network fine,just randomly disconnect. As soon as you start using the phone again it reconnects. That is the issue. 

Alot of casual users will never even notice it. I've tested it on multiple networks.

I need my wifi to be connected all the time for my work so that is a serious problem for me. I really wonna return the phone, but bought a cover and don't wonna reinstall everything again lol. 

It's firmware related so it can be fixed.

Top Kudoed Authors