Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nikmaverick
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 59,952
Message 1 of 67

Moto G5 plus battery draining fast

I have been using a Moto G5 plus since April, 2017. From last couple of days I am facing the issue of battery drainage. It comes from 100% to 50% in no time, after 50% it's somehow stable but not as it used to be before the issue. Also, the phone is charging too fast. Within half an hour it's getting charged from 30% to 100%. Why is it happening? Please provide any solution.

Thanks

sdzshn3
Bit Torrent
Views: 59,528
Message 2 of 67

Re: Moto G5 plus battery draining fast

Use it until it shuts down due to 0% battery.

Then charge it upto 100% in switched off mode. Then remove charging and turn On the phone. How check battery level. If it is less than 100% charge it again.

Then restart phone and check the battery level. If it's 100% then remove charging and use it until 0%

Then repeat the first step. Means charge upto 100% in switched off mode. And then switch On phone.

Now your phone should work perfectly.

Best Regards, Syed Zeeshan.
Unknow
802.11n
Views: 59,450
Message 3 of 67

Did this happens after installing an security update ?

Often after updating a lot of settings are messed up and the phone will slow down and get all kind of problems...

Clearing cache is one thing you can do best thing is always after an update an factory reset, a lot of work but it give you a phone that's just as new....   a lot of the "bugs" that people get  after an update are also gone line snow in the dessert.

But it won't hurt to try  sdzshn3's solution first.....  if it work it saves you a lot of time

sdzshn3
Bit Torrent
Views: 59,446
Message 4 of 67

I would have said him to Clear cache partion and also a reset. But, he said, drainage is fast only upto 50% and then seems normal. So I thought, it must be a calibration problem.

But, yeah. It's easy to do recalibration first. If doesn't work, next is what Unknow said.

Nikmaverick
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 59,363
Message 5 of 67

I tried your method. Charged my phone to 100% in switched off mode. Switched it on, it showed 70%. Again charged to 100% after switching off. Switched on, now 90%. Switched off, it started charging from 33%(why it happened?), Charged to 100%, switched on, it's 96% now. Repeated the process, now it showed 92%. Repeated and now it's 100%. It's still draining, however at a lower rate. The problem is not only with drainage, charging is too fast. It took around 10 seconds only to reach 100% from 96%.

TheSoupThief
Token Ring
Views: 59,349
Message 6 of 67

Did you let it discharge completely and shutdown first?

Plainly your battery isn't actually charging from 96-100% in ten seconds, no more than it's depleting from 90-33%. This is almost certainly a calibration issue, though clearing the cache is always a good idea, particularly following any updates or other (also see note below *)

What Sdzshn3 has had you do is known as Bump Charging - it is useful since the calibration of the processors that manage batteries' charging sometimes gets messed up, such that the battery might register as 0% when actually its partially charged - therefore, in error the phone will shut down, while there's actually plenty of charge remaining. Alternatively the battery manager might report 100% and cease charging (to avoid explosions!) while actually the battery is only partially charged.

That your phone is now charging differently - your problem has changed to some degree - suggests that there has been some change in your battery's callibration. I would suggest doing it again, but this time ensuring your battery is entirely depleted, to the point of shutting down before you begin the bump charging process. 

It's worth timing the charging and keeping an objective record - it's very easy to be too subjective in thinking something has or hasn't helped, when it hasn't or has (if you get my point).

Battery Univeristy and loads of other sites have useful info on bump charging.

A word of warning, don't do it often as it's pretty hard on batteries - they are quite happy to be charged in the middling range, but hate to be fully discharged and hate to be fully charged and can get depleted quickly if you overdo this (a brand new phone and battery reporting being charged to 100% will actually only be charged to a lower portion of it's absolute capacity, just as phones shut down well before they are entirely drained). I only did it a few times with my Nexus 5 which I used for about 3 years, despite loads of rom flashing and loads of messing about with low level stuff)

* This is really unlikely, but it is remotely possible that this might be a hardware issue. Some Nexus 5 users reported problems like this after damaging the battery connector socket / plug assembly. I had the problem myself after switching my battery and not quite plugging in the new connector fully - rectified after I plugged it in properly. This really shouldn't happen with Moto G5 phones, since the battery connection is way more robust, so you're best not to entertain this possibility.  EDIT  I just noticed, you have a G5 plus, which I think doesn't have a removably battery. Unless you've had the back off it and been ferkling about inside, I'd say this is not going to be the cause of your problem and it's almost certainly down to software calibration in the battery manager.

Nikmaverick
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 59,255
Message 7 of 67

It's not working. I have repeated the process 2-3 times but the maximum the battery gets charged is up to 73%.

I don't understand why it's getting charged so fast? From 0% to 100% in almost 40 minutes, be it switched on or switched off.

Suggest any effective solution. Or should wait for Oreo update?

sdzshn3
Bit Torrent
Views: 59,252
Message 8 of 67

Have you tried clearing Cache partition from recovery options?

Nikmaverick
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 59,188
Message 9 of 67

How's that done? Tell me the steps.
Nikmaverick
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 59,145
Message 10 of 67

Nothing is working. I have done cache partion wipe, factory reset, installed January security patch still no solution. Is there no solution of my phone's problem?

Top Kudoed Authors