Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

03-25-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 4

Moto G5 plus will not work with U S Cellular?

2017-03-25, 12:50 PM

The Motorola website carrier compatibility page indicates that the Moto G5 Plus will not work on the U S Cellular network.  However, the G5 Plus specifications on the website clearly indicate that the phone has CDMA.  It should also be noted that the G4 Play, the Moto X, and my ancient Motorola phone all work on U S Cellular. 

Is this incompatibility real, or is it due to some other U S Cellular, Motorola, and/or Lenovo non-technical issues?

I thought this was the right phone for me. But it is not, if it can't or won't work on the network.

Please let me know.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Moto G5 plus will not work with U S Cellular?

2017-03-25, 13:09 PM

wrote:

The Motorola website carrier compatibility page indicates that the Moto G5 Plus will not work on the U S Cellular network.  However, the G5 Plus specifications on the website clearly indicate that the phone has CDMA.  It should also be noted that the G4 Play, the Moto X, and my ancient Motorola phone all work on U S Cellular. 

Is this incompatibility real, or is it due to some other U S Cellular, Motorola, and/or Lenovo non-technical issues?

I thought this was the right phone for me. But it is not, if it can't or won't work on the network.

Please let me know.

Cdma is not like gsm.  Just because a phone has it doesnt mean it works on all cdma carriers. 

I have asked if it is a mistake on the compatibilty matrix or not. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

3 Posts

03-25-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 3 of 4

2017-04-07, 22:47 PM

I appreciate your reply and comments on the compatibility of the Moto G5plus with the U S Cellular network.

It's true, even after researching compatibility, I can't find any really specific information.

What I do know:

• I currently use a older Motorola smartphone on the U S Cellular network.
  • Other members of my family have used a succession of Motorola smartphones on the U S Cellular network and presently use a G3 or G4 smartphone on the U S Cellular network.
  • If I wanted a Moto G4 play on the U S Cellular network, I could get one locally that would work right now.
  • The Moto G5 plus apparently works on the CDMA network of Verizon.  I wonder if they use the same CDMA bands as U S Cellular.  No way for me to know.

A reasonable person could therefore expect that the G5 plus with a CDMA radio on chip should work on U S Cellular, unless there have been some changed design parameters on the new phone which would cause incompatibility.

With all due respect to Lenovo/Motorola, U S Cellular, and board moderators, I am puzzled by the articulation of incompatibility.

Thanks for your consideration.

Options

55 Posts

09-12-2015

United States of America

24 Signins

235 Page Views

• Views: 235
  • Message 4 of 4

2017-05-16, 21:50 PM

I bought this phone (Motorola G5 Plus)for my mom and when she went into U.S. Cellular, they could not activate it.

She called Motorola and the lady on the phone said it should work on U.S. Cellular.  either way.  My mom sent the phone back.

We will wait for the new Motorla X 4 to come out and like my current moto x 3 , It should work on US Cellular. 

I hate to go by other phones but we will have this isn't an option for us as I refuse to by phones form U.S. Cellular.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms