Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ewha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,323
Message 1 of 14

Moto G5 speaker audio not working after unplugging headphones

I have a Motorola Moto G5 running on Android 7.0. The majority of the times I unplug my headphones after listening to music, the speaker audio stops working. I don't hear the other person when I get a call, and also if I put on some audio over speakers, I can't hear it. 

What seems to work is to reboot into Safe mode, call my voicemail to see if the audio is working again, and then rebooting normally if it does.

I am wondering if anyone knows a more efficient way of fixing  (or preventing) this issue, or if this can be fixed via a system update.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 19,242
Message 2 of 14

Re: Moto G5 speaker audio not working after unplugging headphones

Hi ewha,

When you unplug the earphones, are you trying to listen to the other party through speakers or earpiece? If it works with safe mode, possible that there is a third party app causing this to happen.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

ewha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,237
Message 3 of 14

Thank you for your quick response.

I try both ways, holding it up to my ear and turning on the speakers. I have heard that the speakers and earpiece are one and the same device on Moto G5.

I should also add that I have only experienced it after listening to Spotify, and I unplug my headphones without manually pausing the audio. Normally the act of unplugging pauses the music, but sometimes it continues on speakers.

When it does pause, the issue in question might occur, and I need to check if the speaker/earpiece audio is working.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 19,234
Message 4 of 14

Hi ewha,

Thanks for trying that. I would suggest trying to put it in safe mode and see if that would work since it only occurs when you listened to Spotify.

To put it in safe mode, press and hold the power button until Power Off option appears on the screen. Press and hold the Power Off option until it Reboots to Safe Mode, then press OK.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

ewha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,229
Message 5 of 14

Yes, Safe Mode works (see first message).

Now that I know that the issue is most likely related to a third party app, I will try the Spotify support community to see if they can do anything about it. 

Thanks for your help

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 19,221
Message 6 of 14

Hi ewha,

You're always welcome. Glad that you tried and it worked, good luck!

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Log03
What's DOS?
Views: 15,962
Message 7 of 14

I have just had a very similar sounding problem. Moto G5 as well. Was listening to youtube through headphones. Removed the headphones to go to sleep. In the morning alarm only vibrates. Can't get any sound through calls, apps without headphones. 

Tried putting it I to safe mode as suggested and it makes no difference! Any suggestions? 

gzjarvis
What's DOS?
Views: 13,866
Message 8 of 14

I tried all the things mentioned & they did not work.

I found a thread on the same problem on a different website & the solution worked for me.

You need to take the back off the phone & twist the top half of the phone slightly one way, if you do this with music playing & start to hear the music you know that it has worked.

Log03
What's DOS?
Views: 13,723
Message 9 of 14

Good advice! Previous occasion sound just miraculoudly reappeared a couple  of hours layer. Happened again last night. Pressing behind the speaker a few times menatvthe sound came back. Bit glitchy at 1st but kept poking it and it came back solidly. Clearly something wrong with the speaker system...

fefepeto
802.11n
Views: 13,708
Message 10 of 14

Hi Everyone,

It sounds like a hardware problem. If it's reproducible I would suggest contacting the nearest service center.

Fefe
Top Kudoed Authors