Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
htq
Paper Tape
Views: 1,026
Message 1 of 9

Moto G5 update 8.1 Security Patch December 1, 2018

I just got the update for December 1, 2018. After the reboot, a  lot of my apps are not functioning. For example my Messages is not working. When I try to launch my Message is just crashes.

thank you.

Atarsa
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 910
Message 2 of 9

Re: Moto G5 update 8.1 Security Patch December 1, 2018

I have the same error!. After the update I lost the 50% of my contacts!
soylentbean
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 777
Message 3 of 9

Hmmm, this is making me reluctant to update. Last update for me was to Oreo, and that gave me the "Invalid SIM Card" error with my Sprint SIM card. There's at least 1 other recent thread I saw about this patch, from a GB user. I think the link below is the announcement. Doesn't say if there were any fixes for the recent Oreo upgrade, only mentions the security patch.

https://support.motorola.com/uk/en/solution/MS135664

Lenovo Employee sandysurfer
Lenovo Employee
Views: 724
Message 4 of 9

I updated to this security patch today.  After the phone rebooted, I had apps that were completely missing....appear to have been deleted.

What is the rationale behind deleting apps for what should be a routine security update? 

What would be the reaction to Microsoft if they arbitrarily deleted programs during routine Windows hotfixes?

I can tell you it would not be positive.....so how is this acceptable for Android? 

Is there no product assurance testing being done before pushing out updates to Moto phones?

newbiepro
What's DOS?
Views: 626
Message 5 of 9

I applied this security patch a few days ago. Everything has been working properly since, no crashing, no missing apps.

soylentbean
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 615
Message 6 of 9

I decided to update. Haven't noticed any problems so far, US version. Hope you guys get your problems resolved. Maybe reinstall apps will be the minimum needed for some people? At worst would be factory reset. I try to backup contacts, settings, etc before any system updates.

runnergirllk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 539
Message 7 of 9

I, too, am reluctant to take this December 1, 2018 security patch even though I want to because of the posts here.  

To those who had apps disappear, contacts disappear, or apps stopped working:  WHAT HAS HAPPENED SINCE?  Were you able to reinstall those apps and do they work now?  Were your contacts restored and you are back 100% on those?  Are the apps that stopped working now working? Please update us on what has happened since you installed the patch.  Has there been any recovery?

I am in the U.S., I use Consumer Cellular, and I have an AT&T SIM card from them.  I have not had security patch update issues in the past on my Motorola Moto G5 Plus.  However, I am unhappy since Lenovo took over Motorola.  Customer support is terrible, and we customers appear to be on our own with issues -- they take no ownership of problems.

Thanks.

Lenovo Employee sandysurfer
Lenovo Employee
Views: 423
Message 8 of 9

Digging deeper into my particular issue, it appears the apps having issues were ones stored exclusively on the external 128GB memory card.

Going through help pages found on Google, I tried various suggested fixes including reseating the card, deleting cache, un-installing the app itself, etc.  Nothing appeared to resolve the issue.

Well, after being home sick for a few days (and not using my phone), I happen to notice the problematic apps are magically back and working.

Now perhaps my issue was due to a memory card problem (phone interface or card itself)?  Can't say with any certainty....but it is working now, so I'm not messing anymore with it.  I have backed up all my pictures/contacts and looking into other phone options.

runnergirllk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 371
Message 9 of 9

Last night, I decided to take the plunge.  First, however, I backed up all my photos and videos, and I ensured that my Google account was backed up/synched.  I also wrote down a list of all apps on my phone just in case.  My G5 has 64GB internal storage + 64GB SD card.

The update went smoothly.  So far, all is fine.  I have had no problems -- the apps I usually use are working fine.  When the phone rebooted when the patch was installed, the phone came back with WiFi enabled and not with data enabled (someone said data got enabled after the reboots when the patch was applied).

I did the same on my husband's G5 - no problems. 

Top Kudoed Authors