Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdutta74
Paper Tape
Views: 591
Message 1 of 5

MotoG5plus second SIM stopped working after latest security update

My MotoG5plus phone was offered a security OTA update last evening (around 6:30PM India time) which I accepted. It was a fairly large update, which seemed to have been applied successfully, but post that my second SIM seems to be non-functional, i.e. the device fails to register to the mobile network of the second SIM.

The 2 SIM cards are:

Slot-1: Vodafone - India (Karnataka circle) 4G SIM

Slot-2: Airtel - India (Karnataka circle) 4G SIM 

Have tried changing preferred network type to 2G (from default 3G) but that didn't help. The phone hasn't been shaken, dropped to dislodge the SIM card in anyway. In fact it was kept on my work table all along. Before the software update I had solid network connection on second SIM, and after update no more for 2nd SIM.

Since then, I've taken out the SIMs, exchanged them between slot#1 and slot #2, and again in that case, Airtel in slot#1 works fine, but Vodafone in slot#2 doesn't, which indicates that SIMs are just fine, and this has something to do with software. Have restarted the phone several times.

Baseband version is: M8953_41.50.07.82R POTTER_INDIASDS_CUST

Build number is: OPSS28.85-13-3

I can provide other information if required. Not sure what to do at this point and where to seek support for this issue.

Thanks in anticipation for any help or advice.

regards,

BD

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 534
Message 2 of 5

Re: MotoG5plus second SIM stopped working after latest security update

@bdutta74 wrote:

My MotoG5plus phone was offered a security OTA update last evening (around 6:30PM India time) which I accepted. It was a fairly large update, which seemed to have been applied successfully, but post that my second SIM seems to be non-functional, i.e. the device fails to register to the mobile network of the second SIM.

The 2 SIM cards are:

Slot-1: Vodafone - India (Karnataka circle) 4G SIM

Slot-2: Airtel - India (Karnataka circle) 4G SIM 

Have tried changing preferred network type to 2G (from default 3G) but that didn't help. The phone hasn't been shaken, dropped to dislodge the SIM card in anyway. In fact it was kept on my work table all along. Before the software update I had solid network connection on second SIM, and after update no more for 2nd SIM.

Since then, I've taken out the SIMs, exchanged them between slot#1 and slot #2, and again in that case, Airtel in slot#1 works fine, but Vodafone in slot#2 doesn't, which indicates that SIMs are just fine, and this has something to do with software. Have restarted the phone several times.

Baseband version is: M8953_41.50.07.82R POTTER_INDIASDS_CUST

Build number is: OPSS28.85-13-3

I can provide other information if required. Not sure what to do at this point and where to seek support for this issue.

Thanks in anticipation for any help or advice.

regards,

BD

Hi bdutta74,

Welcome to Forums,

This is weird & we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Request you to try these below checkpoints & let us know.

1. Try in Safe Mode option. Safe Mode temporarily disables all applications installed from the Play Store. This troubleshooting step helps determine whether a third party application is the cause of a software issue. Safe Mode temporarily disables all applications installed from the Play Store. This troubleshooting step helps determine whether a third party application is the cause of a software issue.

2. Try External Hard Reset option. Factory Data Reset is a tool used to remove everything that was imported, added or installed on the device. Keep in mind, when using this feature everything is deleted.

3.  Repair is the feasible solution.

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

bdutta74
Paper Tape
Views: 462
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Nikh. Safe mode didn't help in my case. Just before doing the external hard-reset I thought of rerunning all of the tests I did previously and eventually figured that the issue may actually be with the Airtel SIM card. I noticed that the Vodafone SIM in slot#2 does finally register although it takes time, so if I wait a bit it does register successfully. While the first time I tried the Airtel SIM (I think) did register when in slot#1, on retrying 3-4 times, I can no longer get it to register successfully. I plan to pickup a replacement SIM card today and try again. Will report back if the problem is solved. What is very strange though is that the problem coincides with the completion of Software update application. It may be mere coincidence, but very remarkable.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 451
Message 4 of 5

Hi bdutta74,

We appreciate you for the workaround. There is a chance of updating the SIM card may resolve the issue. Please replace the SIM card & let us know.

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

PabloAtilano
Paper Tape
Views: 104
Message 5 of 5

Good morning,
I have the same problem, I have tried the two SIM in another phone and it works, I have tried the safe mode too and it did not work. It was exactly after the security update opss28.85-13-5. I hope you are working on a solution.

Greetings.

PabloAtilano
Top Kudoed Authors