Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MotoUser17
Punch Card
Views: 5,979
Message 1 of 49

No More Security Updates

Apparently the February 2019 security update is the last one the G5 Plus will receive. According to Motorola's website, "This product will no longer receive security updates."

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/softwareupgrade

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 5,864
Message 2 of 49

Re: No More Security Updates

Hi MotoUser17,

May I know which Carrier you are on and place of purchase of your device? Let me take a look.

Best regards,
Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
MotoUser17
Punch Card
Views: 5,834
Message 3 of 49

I'm on T-Mobile, and I purchased in the US, unlocked, from a retailer (B&H Photo-Video) in 2017.

On the Motorola support website I selected "other carrier or retail" to find out about security updates.

ashutoshmatari
Punch Card
Views: 5,825
Message 4 of 49

I think days of moto g5 plus are over. I checked moto-India's website and it says the same: this device will no longer receive security update. By the way my phone is still in December security patch and waiting for February patch.

ashutoshmatari
Punch Card
Views: 5,795
Message 5 of 49

Can anyone confirm February update for retin channel

drdr1818
Punch Card
Views: 5,728
Message 6 of 49

I don't know if it's accurate, but it says that the Amazon Prime version will still receive security updates.

I don't have a need to replace this phone.... I'd like the security updated to continue. 

ashutoshmatari
Punch Card
Views: 5,701
Message 7 of 49

Products from Amazon have different software channel such as amzus, amzin, etc. It's good that Amazon is providing security patches.

MotoUser17
Punch Card
Views: 5,657
Message 8 of 49

I'm satisfied with my G5 Plus, but have been wondering whether I need to buy another phone now that the Feb 2019 security update is the last one for my phone. What this boils down to is: how much risk is there in using this phone?

I would never use a PC no longer receiving security updates, given the widely known risks. But what about Android?

Looks like it may not be so bad, and getting a new phone may not be urgently necessary, especially if one takes other reasonable security measures.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3268904/android-security-facts.html

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3012630/android-security-audit.html

Any other thoughts?

ashutoshmatari
Punch Card
Views: 5,653
Message 9 of 49

This is the exact question I was wondering about and I googled it. I found somewhere that google knows this very issue and try to fix most of the security issues through individual application updates, they also try to provide new features through individual application.

Having said this, I exactly don't know how much vulnerable we are to new security threats. This is a scary scenario for people like me who uses banking applications more frequently.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

MotoUser17
Punch Card
Views: 5,578
Message 10 of 49

I plan to wait for a compelling deal on a new phone, probably around Black Friday in November.

Pixel and Android One phones get security updates 3 years after release, making the per-year cost lower.

Motorola should put the G series on the Android One program.

Top Kudoed Authors