Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmeyD
Token Ring
Views: 1,342
Message 11 of 49

Re: No More Security Updates

Why is this not unexpected?

Moto G5 series is perhaps the most ignored series there is.... after the Moto G3

I mean... just look at the data:

Moto G1: 2 Major Android Updates + Security Patches

Moto G2: 2 Major Android Updates + Security Patches

Moto G3: 1 Android Update + Security Patches

Moto G4 Plus: 2 Major Android Updates + Security Patches till January 2019 (that's 3 years)

Moto G5 Plus: 1 Major Android Update + Security patches till february 2019 (2 Years Smiley Sad )

Moto G6 Series: ??????

Moto G7 Series: ??????

So while a 3 year old Moto G4 Plus gets 2 android updates and 3 years of security patches, we despite of having the next version have received just 1 android update and 2 years of DELAYED security patches!

Also,

MARCH HAS ENDED.... AND WE ARE YET TO RECEIVE A FEBRUARY PATCH!! Smiley LOL 

Moto G5 Plus
MotoUser17
Punch Card
Views: 1,341
Message 12 of 49

Here is an article about choosing a phone based on software updates, by the same person who wrote the article I linked to in this thread about how real-life Android security risks are low:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3341309/choose-a-smartphone.html

When the article says most manufacturers provide three years of security updates, it apparently means top-of-the line flagship phones. And the updates aren't guaranteed. Although the article makes much of version updates being important, on a budget phone I would be happy with 3 years of security updates.

There are two ways to get three years (from date of release) of guaranteed security updates: 1) buy a Google Pixel (which also get three years of Android version updates), 2) buy a phone in Google's Android One program (which also gets two years of version updates). Like the G5 Plus (and unlike Samsung phones), they run clean versions of Android.

All of Nokia's phones (none of which work on CDMA carriers such as Verizon or Sprint in the US) are in the Android One program; Motorola has had a couple. There are also brands of phones in the program not sold in the US but available in India and other places.

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 1,269
Message 13 of 49

HEY I just realized mine is an Amazon version Moto G5+.  Has anyone contacted AMZ service to see if they can provide relief from Moto/Leno shinanigans?  

KaranMMT
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,218
Message 14 of 49

Still not received Feb 2019 Security Patch in Retin Channel (India).

Is anyone there who received it ? In India ?

roxetak
SCSI Port
Views: 1,208
Message 15 of 49

I have first december security update, too. 

roxetak
roxetak
SCSI Port
Views: 1,204
Message 16 of 49

good job. i agree with u. 

roxetak
MotoUser17
Punch Card
Views: 1,173
Message 17 of 49

The Android One version of the Moto X4 has been updated to Android Pie and will apparently get security updates until around August 2020. It's presently (and apparently temporarily) on sale from some stores for about $150 for the 3 GB/32GB version. It's something like a slightly nicer G5 Plus (except for the worse memory and storage), and will work with all the US carriers.

It seems like a pretty good deal in terms of cost per year. It has a glass back and definitely requires a case (and screen protector).

I just switched to Sprint, using their free 13 month's of service promotion, so I can't get a Nokia phone until that's over.

So, I can:

1) Use the G5 Plus for 13 more months, and then get something else. Right now that would be a Nokia 7.1, but by then there may be a 7.2, and maybe another good, well-priced Android One Moto phone or Pixel.

1a) Go with (1) until/unless something compelling, probably from Google, comes along before 4/30/20. This might be a discounted Pixel 4 or new "lite" Pixel on Black Friday.

2) Get an Android One Moto X4, and replace it after it doesn't get any more security updates. This is the safest thing to do from the security standpoint, but it probably doesn't really matter.

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 1,165
Message 18 of 49

@MotoUser17 wrote:

The Android One version of the Moto X4 has been updated to Android Pie and will apparently get security updates until around August 2020. It's presently (and apparently temporarily) on sale from some stores for about $150 for the 3 GB/32GB version. It's something like a slightly nicer G5 Plus (except for the worse memory and storage), and will work with all the US carriers.

It seems like a pretty good deal in terms of cost per year. It has a glass back and definitely requires a case (and screen protector).

I just switched to Sprint, using their free 13 month's of service promotion, so I can't get a Nokia phone until that's over.

So, I can:

1) Use the G5 Plus for 13 more months, and then get something else. Right now that would be a Nokia 7.1, but by then there may be a 7.2, and maybe another good, well-priced Android One Moto phone or Pixel.

1a) Go with (1) until/unless something compelling, probably from Google, comes along before 4/30/20. This might be a discounted Pixel 4 or new "lite" Pixel on Black Friday.

2) Get an Android One Moto X4, and replace it after it doesn't get any more security updates. This is the safest thing to do from the security standpoint, but it probably doesn't really matter.

^^Has either high horror tolerance or has no paid attention to the horrors described in these fora.

MotoUser17
Punch Card
Views: 1,163
Message 19 of 49

What horrors, for what option(s)?
genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 1,157
Message 20 of 49

Read stories of cluster fcuks related to Oreo & security updates on Moto phones.

Top Kudoed Authors