Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MotoUser17
Punch Card
Views: 900
Message 21 of 49

Re: No More Security Updates

I had a temporary problem after the Oreo update, but I managed to resolve it. No other problems after any updates, and I've gotten all 2 years of them.

Yes, the regular Moto update cycle is slow, but Android One supposedly supplies updates monthly. It's a different animal, software wise.

There are some less than satisfied Pie update customers on the Moto X4 forum. I don't know whether their problems would apply to the Android One version.

Google's Pixel line tends to have problems when first released that months to fix.

In any case, I am not keen on spending something like $170 (including a new case and screen protector) when if I spend $0 I will probably be just fine. Lots of people use old versions of Android that have not gotten security updates in years, per stats available on the Internet.

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 883
Message 22 of 49

@MotoUser17 wrote:

I had a temporary problem after the Oreo update, but I managed to resolve it. No other problems after any updates, and I've gotten all 2 years of them.

Yes, the regular Moto update cycle is slow, but Android One supposedly supplies updates monthly. It's a different animal, software wise.

There are some less than satisfied Pie update customers on the Moto X4 forum. I don't know whether their problems would apply to the Android One version.

Google's Pixel line tends to have problems when first released that months to fix.

In any case, I am not keen on spending something like $170 (including a new case and screen protector) when if I spend $0 I will probably be just fine. Lots of people use old versions of Android that have not gotten security updates in years, per stats available on the Internet.

Everyone here would love to downgrade.  Now we're all fcuked.

bennor3814
Token Ring
Views: 846
Message 23 of 49

@AmeyD wrote:

Moto G4 Plus: 2 Major Android Updates + Security Patches till January 2019 (that's 3 years)

Moto G5 Plus: 1 Major Android Update + Security patches till february 2019 (2 Years Smiley Sad )

Noticed that too when I saw that Moto is stopping security upgrades on the G5 Plus. Very irritating/frustrating. Moto always seems to have treated the G5 Plus like the red headed step child. Smiley Mad

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 835
Message 24 of 49

I got mine from Amazon and asked them to look into malfeasance by Lenovo.
drdr1818
Punch Card
Views: 804
Message 25 of 49

Well, Moto's site says that the Amazon version will continue getting updates.... I just don't know for how long or whether to believe it.

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 765
Message 26 of 49

@drdr1818 wrote:

Well, Moto's site says that the Amazon version will continue getting updates.... I just don't know for how long or whether to believe it.

Getting updates for Moto G5 is like getting free BigMacs after getting poisoned by BigMacs.  It's updates that caused the phone to fail. 

StevenEllis
Punch Card
Views: 701
Message 27 of 49

Well I'm in NZ (using an Amazon UK Phone)

Checking on the G5 the both NZ and UK Motorola sites show

Security updates

This product will no longer receive security updates.

Like many others i'm on the 1 Dec 2018 security fix and as the phone is only just hitting 2 years old I was hoping for one more security fix.

Looks like it is time to switch to lineage

Safe-Keeper
Paper Tape
Views: 662
Message 28 of 49

The G5+ isn't even such an old phone, and it got stellar reviews. I get that they've got a whole line of phones and that keeping them supported costs money, but surely phones should be supported for more than two years, particularly when they're still sold in stores?

Can't believe they're abandoning updates for it. I just bought mine last August and it still (naturally) works great, and it's the best phone I ever owned, but now I actually feel afraid to use it, or at least to store sensitive information (passwords, credit card info etc.) on it.

Can I make it safer by installing Avast or similar software?

This actually made me pretty angry. I have noticed there haven't been security updates recently, but it didn't occur to me they'd stopped supporting the phone :/ .

Safe-Keeper
Paper Tape
Views: 659
Message 29 of 49

MotoUser17: thanks for those two reassuring links. I know the chances are low that my particular phone will be targeted, and that common sense goes a long way, so I guess maybe it'll be fine to keep using the phone, especially if there are layers of security anyway?
genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 633
Message 30 of 49

Modern tech security logic is perverse.  Security is to ensure access and data integrity.  Lenovo security patches hamper access -- if you've been lucky and no patch has bricked your phone. 

Never apply any update within first month of release -- let others eat the vendor's dog food.  Always research boards like this before applying any patch.  It saved my phone -- I have been postponing updates since last summer given cautionary tales told on these boards.  I am concerned not one whit about security.  My credit cards are protected against fraud, and I have nothing to hide.

Top Kudoed Authors