Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashutoshmatari
Punch Card
Views: 611
Message 41 of 49

Re: No More Security Updates

I know this is quite late to the club, but today my phone(Moto G5 Plus) received February 2019 update, RETIN channel.

Aqilahmed01
Paper Tape
Views: 576
Message 42 of 49

I received February update recently

Cleydson17
Punch Card
Views: 384
Message 43 of 49

Cloudane
Paper Tape
Views: 145
Message 44 of 49

2 years, is that it?!  No wonder Apple repeatedly mock the Android side for this potential botnet of vulnerable devices.  Really needs to be 3 minimum as most contracts are 2 years and not everyone buys a new contract the day a particular handset is released, leaving them vulnerable before their contract is even over!

I guess the G5 is mostly bought as a PAYG phone, and that it's a budget device etc but still.  It shouldn't be such a throwaway item, especially with how much we need to reduce our consumption to continue being able to live on this planet.

bhaskarsa
Punch Card
Views: 127
Message 45 of 49

motorola under lenovo ownership don't care, they want you to buy a new phone after 2 years

ever since it got sold to lenovo, its been like this, no surpise there 

MotoUser17
Punch Card
Views: 121
Message 46 of 49

The only Android phones with a guarantee of regular updates (security and operating system) for 3 years after release are the Pixel phones from Google. Phones in the Android One program have some sort of lesser guarantee, or at least they used to. Even expensive phones from Samsung and other vendors have no guarantees.

Apple updates its iPhones for something like 5 years, but Siri is much weaker than Google Assistant.

bhaskarsa
Punch Card
Views: 115
Message 47 of 49

the next phone i will get is a Android One phone

motorola does have a Android One phone called the Motorola One 

MotoUser17
Punch Card
Views: 109
Message 48 of 49

The Android One website guarantees 2 years of OS updates. That's it. No guarantee regarding security updates.

https://www.android.com/one/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4s7qBRCzARIsAImcAxa-RZJcAGbpEvBasVDkm1lT1g81toCqF1ElnvUia...

The Pixel website guarantees 3 years of OS updates and 3 years of security updates.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705?hl=en

bhaskarsa
Punch Card
Views: 96
Message 49 of 49

might be differnt for the Motorola One 

in the amazon listing for that device it says

**The phone initially launched on Android O, and will receive OS upgrades to P and Q; security updates will be provided for three years from the initial global launch date of September, 2018.

Top Kudoed Authors