Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

156 Posts

11-14-2016

Argentina

551 Signins

1603 Page Views

• Views: 1603
  • Message 2001 of 5250

Re: [OFFICIAL] Android 8(Oreo) Update CONFIRMED!

2018-04-22, 15:53 PM

they will provide 8.0 and 8.1 for the Z3

Options

188 Posts

12-10-2017

Netherlands

455 Signins

2378 Page Views

• Views: 2378
  • Message 2002 of 5250

2018-04-22, 16:07 PM

The reason that i change my phone is 1 reason.

Lenovo can push Android Oreo 8.1 to G4 Plus G5 Series But they are very Lazy.

Developer team how many works by Lenovo i think 1 or 2 people.

Biggest problem is by Lenovo diffrent versions G5 G5S G5S Plus

That make alot of problems. Android update And even security patch.

Lenovo if you read this Sell Motorola too someone else. 

Or give it back to Google. 

Options

24 Posts

03-18-2018

India

367 Signins

918 Page Views

• Views: 918
  • Message 2003 of 5250

2018-04-22, 16:22 PM

Can someone confirm if Airtel VoLTE in India works on Moto G5 Plus or not?

Options

927 Posts

07-05-2017

India

2342 Signins

26216 Page Views

• Views: 26216
  • Message 2004 of 5250

2018-04-22, 16:27 PM

wrote:

Can someone confirm if Airtel VoLTE in India works on Moto G5 Plus or not?

➡️No it doesn't work and Motorola has no plans to provide Airtel Volte support.

Options

50 Posts

01-17-2015

India

124 Signins

1378 Page Views

• Views: 1378
  • Message 2005 of 5250

2018-04-22, 16:42 PM

wrote:

The reason that i change my phone is 1 reason.

Lenovo can push Android Oreo 8.1 to G4 Plus G5 Series But they are very Lazy.

Developer team how many works by Lenovo i think 1 or 2 people.

Biggest problem is by Lenovo diffrent versions G5 G5S G5S Plus

That make alot of problems. Android update And even security patch.

Lenovo if you read this Sell Motorola too someone else. 

Or give it back to Google. 

Well, Google won't take it back because they bought it just to acquire 'patents'. Once that purpose was fulfilled they would want to sell it and they sold it to Lenovo.

I don't think Motorola's engineers are lazy. I believe they're lacking manpower to build and push new updates swiftly to all the their phones and if that is the case then they would wanna give first priority to their flagship devices. That is exactly what they are doing. I expect Oreo update for G5 series will be there once Z series is updated and I've read some articles that they're pushing Oreo update to devices in Z series. Maybe Moto's G5 series update will be there in one month or so, who knows?

Options

10 Posts

12-19-2009

United States of America

8 Signins

204 Page Views

• Views: 204
  • Message 2006 of 5250

Re: Oreo update 8.0 in moto g5 nd g5 plus

2018-04-23, 9:26 AM

wrote:

You want to know the benfits of Android Oreo over Nougat?There are immense differences.I would not waste my time on explaining each one to you cause I doubt whether you know the history of the  Android Os.Some people just use their phones basically for calling purposes and hardly know the various features of the phone.These people are the ones who are silent about any updates.

"Immense differences" ?

I looked at the link ---- they claim   "better performance"......"better battery performance"...."easier user interface"......."autofill".....

PUH----LEASE!!!!  That's what they claim EVERY time a new version comes out....except for autofill...LOL...

There is no concrete difference between the purported "benefits" of the oreo OS over Nougat over Marshmallow over Lollipop....over...well you get the idea.  There may be some new FEATURES, but how valuable those are to an individual user is subjective.

They say ".....better XXX for 'your phone'...."    ALL they can honestly say is that THEY  think it's "better" for their test bed of phones....there is no way that the ANdorid folks have been able to test their new creation on every phone out there to know how it will REALLY work in the real world.

Android is paid for the new release ....their techs are paid to create the "next new OS".....so OF COURSE they will say it does all that....

Seems like folks have fallen for the scheme they have designed.....

I will say it again....trying to forcer fit a new OS to an OLD PHONE (and anything over 6 months old is the tech world is OLD) is like trying to fit a square peg into around hole.  Half of the time, a new OS used on an old device makes performance WORSE, not better.

I wish someone would start a petition to SLOW DOW android releases and the myriad of patches they rush to market.

In the old days it would takes much more time to develop and roll out a new OS......test , test and test again....now they rely on users to do a great deal of the testing for them....I am tired of being a guinneau pig.

You seem to poke fun on those who use their phones as PHONES.

Just because I am not interested in hot rodding my phone or in doing "everything" on it doesnt mean I am less of a user of the device.  That is like saying that owners of automobiles are not real users of their cars because they do not take their cars to the racetrack and push it to the limits....they just commute to work in them. 

I dont NEED to user my phone for every single aspect of my life.....its ok that you you do, but its also OK that I dont.

There are more users like me than you......and we just want our devices to do what they are intended to do for a whileafter we plunk down our hard earned cash for them.

The problem is that whe na new OS is released we are pestered about it till we relent and let it install.......and then the trouble starts.

If you want to be caught up in the FOREVER cycle of new OSs , new patches and being a beta tester FOREVER and forever posting in forums like this complaining about the problems incurred and then about  not getting the latest and greatest software to fiix those issues for your old device, well thats fine,.....but understand that you are in the minority....the silent majority of folks like me just want our devices to work as advertised whren we bought them.   Us being silent doesnt mean we are ignorant of the "benefits" of a new OS.....maybe we are just more experienced than you or have no INTEREST in tinkering with our phones 24/7.  We just want the device to work. Period.

Do you buy a new car and then get all bent after 6 months about not getting the next year model's  newest engine added to your car FOR FREE when you take it in for an oil change?

Options

10 Posts

12-19-2009

United States of America

8 Signins

204 Page Views

• Message 2007 of 5250

2018-04-23, 9:33 AM

wrote:

How strange people asking about Oreo advantages while many websites already wrote for us to read.

Lots of website including Moto also provided link to Oreo features in software update page. But, who is reading it?

Here are some advantages that I remember:

Notification dots,

Shortcuts on app icon,

New icon animations in notification panel.

Notification snooze,

Picture in picture mode,

Substratum themes without root,

Auto fill passwords and IDs,

Background limits,

2x faster boot*,

Better security,

New emojis,

New settings menu,

Smart text selection,

Auto enable WiFi when at home,

Night light/mode slider,

New battery settings,

Battery percentage beside battery icon,

Reboot option,

Changeable icon shapes,

Unimportant notifications becomes smaller and kept in last,

Etc underhood changes.

And yes, a great feeling that we are a step ahead and updated.

NOT EVERYONE IS INTERESTED IN ALL SORTS OF NEW TWEAKS....especially when half the time it means we become forced beta testers.

New emojis???  Well WOO FREAKING HOO.  Seriously......nothing in that list is exciting enough to me to want to subject myself to the possible trouble that comes with an OS change.

Half of the "improvements" you list above like battery life are listed for EVERY new OS......and the other half are just little add ons that are used to lure folks to buying the next OS.

And YES, you ARE BUYING the next new OS........oh it's free alright at first...but when you load it on your old device and things dont go quite so well with it, you will come here and complain that it doesnt do this or that or whatever...then after a time you will give up, blame the device manuifacturer for a poor implementation of the new OS and buy a new phone with that new OS on it....effectively paying for that new OS.....and you will be happy for 6 months until the next new OS is announced with the same lame list of "improvements" above.

This is marketing and self-perpetuatiing "need" based publishing at its best.

Options

10 Posts

12-19-2009

United States of America

8 Signins

204 Page Views

• Message 2008 of 5250

2018-04-23, 9:43 AM

wrote:

RE: zavetsky

Why are so many interested?

And in addition to sdzshn3 excellent reply:

It is also the spirit of Android Open Source Project (ASOP).

There are benefits to each new OS.

But it is also being part of the Android experience.

I get the marketing drive behind limited OS upgrades.  The vendors want to sell more devices.

When the vendors decide that they are only going to provide 1 OS upgrade and also don't

really give a date of deployment seems to chill the communities desire for certain devices

and/or manufactures.

I am looking foward to getting the OS upgrade as well.  

But lets be honest the phone is an entry level device.  How much time would any manufacture

spend on the cheaper end of the spectrum?

Still a promise is a promise.   If they want to keep and build their customer base

then being a little more honest on the intentions would be welcome.

Kindest Regards,

Kevin

I have no problem with the techno geeks of the world wanting to constantly tinker with their toys.   I am that way on many things.

But to insist that the entire user base be dragged along with the rest is just wrong.

And while one can argue that "you dont have to upgrade your OS", in reality you DO.

Aside from the incessant "new OS available now" messages that lure unsuspecting people into doing it, SUPPORT also goes away for the old version almost immediately....a user has an issue with their phone and the device tech support folks are scripted to say "what OS are you running?  Oh, you need to udate immediately!".

The only reason behind these OS "upgrades" is to continue to sell new devices.   

Isnt it obvious?   If they force fit a new OS to your old device, which you have already bought and paid for, so they make no new money off of you, what happens when your old device cannot run the new OS as efficiently as the latest model? You go out and buy a new device....which means more money in the way of profit on new devices for the manufacturers and new licensing revenue for Android.

Come on folks......wake up.

The open source stuff is nice for those who want to program stuff for their device or who want to push the envelope and forever be tinkering with their phone.

But many of us need our phone to do certain things very well so that we can do our real jobs and earn paychecks.  And forever running through the cycle of new OSs causing new issues which leads to having to research and buy new devices is just tiresome and wasted energy and effort.

I HAVE NO INTEREST in using my phone like a PC.   I need my phone to be a phone , calendar, contacts list , email, a convenient web portal when in a pinch, and its nice to be able to use it as a camera now and then.  My current Moto G5 Plus with Nougat does that 100% right now.  Why would I want to waste the time and effort to mess with that ?  

Options

24 Posts

03-18-2018

India

367 Signins

918 Page Views

• Views: 918
  • Message 2009 of 5250

2018-04-23, 9:46 AM

If you are not interested in Oreo then why are you wasting your time writing on forums.

Options

1154 Posts

04-01-2017

India

2617 Signins

22802 Page Views

• Views: 22802
  • Message 2010 of 5250

2018-04-23, 9:58 AM

wrote:

wrote:

How strange people asking about Oreo advantages while many websites already wrote for us to read.

Lots of website including Moto also provided link to Oreo features in software update page. But, who is reading it?

Here are some advantages that I remember:

Notification dots,

Shortcuts on app icon,

New icon animations in notification panel.

Notification snooze,

Picture in picture mode,

Substratum themes without root,

Auto fill passwords and IDs,

Background limits,

2x faster boot*,

Better security,

New emojis,

New settings menu,

Smart text selection,

Auto enable WiFi when at home,

Night light/mode slider,

New battery settings,

Battery percentage beside battery icon,

Reboot option,

Changeable icon shapes,

Unimportant notifications becomes smaller and kept in last,

Etc underhood changes.

And yes, a great feeling that we are a step ahead and updated.

NOT EVERYONE IS INTERESTED IN ALL SORTS OF NEW TWEAKS....especially when half the time it means we become forced beta testers.

New emojis???  Well WOO FREAKING HOO.  Seriously......nothing in that list is exciting enough to me to want to subject myself to the possible trouble that comes with an OS change.

Half of the "improvements" you list above like battery life are listed for EVERY new OS......and the other half are just little add ons that are used to lure folks to buying the next OS.

And YES, you ARE BUYING the next new OS........oh it's free alright at first...but when you load it on your old device and things dont go quite so well with it, you will come here and complain that it doesnt do this or that or whatever...then after a time you will give up, blame the device manuifacturer for a poor implementation of the new OS and buy a new phone with that new OS on it....effectively paying for that new OS.....and you will be happy for 6 months until the next new OS is announced with the same lame list of "improvements" above.

This is marketing and self-perpetuatiing "need" based publishing at its best.

You are saying to a wrong person. I'm not like others shouting or blaming on brand for delayed updates or issues.

I just listed out features/advantages. Though you might not found it interesting but still those are what's in change log.

I never said those are interesting features or useful...

I'm not here to compliant Moto nor to members. I'm here for giving feedback and helping others to give solution. I got what I paid for and I have lot important work/things in my life.

Don't just run and hit all members with your replies.

I'm a basic Android developer and have experience and technical knowledge on how things works . I have several ideas, steps, logics to find and fix temporary issues or bugs in new software version. So you don't need to explain me. Just go and reply to any other members.

Best Regards, Syed Zeeshan.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms