Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

12-18-2017

United States of America

24 Signins

274 Page Views

• Views: 274
  • Message 201 of 5250

Re. KRACK Attack patch for Moto G5 Plus? WHEN???

2017-12-18, 16:08 PM

Unless I missed something, I have looked through all of the discussions here re. fixes/patches for the KRACK attack. Some replies from staff posted mid-October, with latest perhaps early November (not all specifically about the G5 Plus) where I see vague assurances that something "is on the way," or "we're looking into it." Also a number of threads where this question is simply never replied to.

It is now past mid-December. Android, which relies on the wpa_supplicant, is highly vulnerable. All updates have been installed, but nothing yet for this very serious vulnerability.

Would like to be able to use this new G5 Plus on Wi-Fi, but only if I can be assured that it is not vulnerable to the KRACK attack.

A serious, meaningful reply from Lenovo staff would be appreciated.

Options

240 Posts

12-28-2014

United States of America

218 Signins

1873 Page Views

• Views: 1873
  • Message 202 of 5250

Re: [OFFICIAL] Android 8(Oreo) Update CONFIRMED!

2017-12-18, 20:34 PM

I'm Expecting to retun my new G5 Plus 64GB/4GB within the return window.

Based on past experiences with others not getting security updates monthly, not getting promised updates and not getting much more than a year of updates in the past plus the evidence suggests the Android port for these devices is still 32-bit leads me to beleive that the premium for the Pixel phones is worth it. 

The company seems disengaged regarding communications regarding important customer issues such as OS and Security updates. The monthly security updates are very much not optional - its the only way to keep the platform secure.  

If a given Android-using company wants to remain relavent in the world of Google/Apple/Samsung, it needs to have a special niche play and I guess I'm not seeing it. 

I cant take the risk with treasured memories -  the video and photos are too important and Google gives free storage for those. 

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 203 of 5250

Re: Re. KRACK Attack patch for Moto G5 Plus? WHEN???

2017-12-18, 21:26 PM

wrote:

Unless I missed something, I have looked through all of the discussions here re. fixes/patches for the KRACK attack. Some replies from staff posted mid-October, with latest perhaps early November (not all specifically about the G5 Plus) where I see vague assurances that something "is on the way," or "we're looking into it." Also a number of threads where this question is simply never replied to.

It is now past mid-December. Android, which relies on the wpa_supplicant, is highly vulnerable. All updates have been installed, but nothing yet for this very serious vulnerability.

Would like to be able to use this new G5 Plus on Wi-Fi, but only if I can be assured that it is not vulnerable to the KRACK attack.

A serious, meaningful reply from Lenovo staff would be appreciated.

Krack was discussed many pages back on this thread - but the answer is the same regardless of which patch. 

No one here has a date, and moto doesn't provide dates. 

Since public wifi is not encrypted, the vulnerability should only be a concern at home or at school; Here is a good article on steps you can take to minimize the affects of the vulnerability:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/16/heres-what-you-can-do-to-protect-yourself-from-the-krack-wifi-vulnerability/

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

28 Posts

05-02-2017

India

99 Signins

583 Page Views

• Views: 583
  • Message 204 of 5250

Oreo on G5+ before 2018 please and also regular security patch

2017-12-19, 8:53 AM

The main reason i baught a moto mobile was that latest updates as soon as possible also security patches regularly but from the date i baught moto g5+ it has only got 2-3 security patches its December 19 and my mobile is stuck on 1 August security patch also last year moto released nougat for moto g4+ in the end of December i wish they does same with g5+ this year

Options

26 Posts

12-14-2017

India

57 Signins

770 Page Views

• Views: 770
  • Message 205 of 5250

Android oreo for moto g5s plus??

2017-12-19, 15:51 PM

Please fix battery decreasing issue while charging in oreo update and also fix the camera bugs in oreo update mainly dual camera problem....Ok google is also not working and are many issue in moto g5s plus mainly the battery decreasing while charging ......please moto fix this in moto g5s plus oreo update

And please release android oreo for moto g5s first in last week of december,2017 if possible as mi a1,nokia 6 has already started receiving oreo update

Options

14 Posts

12-18-2017

United States of America

24 Signins

274 Page Views

• Message 206 of 5250

2017-12-19, 16:57 PM

I should have realized that posting to a user-user board would be a complete waste of time. Why didn't I realize that I wouldn't get someone from staff to reply? My bad. And thank you for the referral to a completely lame, entry level blog on protecting oneself from KRACK--meant for someone who knows close to nothing about this vulnerability.

And I do know bloody well how to protect myself with a possibly vulnerable android phone on WiFi. Easy, just don't use WiFi on my LAN. Had to allow it for the setup, but will keep it off my LAN until I know either: that this G5 Plus is not vulnerable, or, if it is, that it has been patched.

Besides all that, your suggestion that public WiFi is safe is particularly laughable

Interesting also that Google, among others, offered a patch as of 11/7, but nothing from Lenovo months after the PoC white paper first describing this vulnerability from mid-October.

Looks like I will have to find someone at Lenovo-Moto, who may know something (for starters, whether or not the G5 Plus is even vulnerable), instead of the useless reflexive boiler plate offered here.

Options

521 Posts

12-29-2013

United States of America

556 Signins

10164 Page Views

• Views: 10164
  • Message 207 of 5250

2017-12-19, 21:24 PM

wrote:

And I do know bloody well how to protect myself with a possibly vulnerable android phone on WiFi. Easy, just don't use WiFi on my LAN. Had to allow it for the setup, but will keep it off my LAN until I know either: that this G5 Plus is not vulnerable, or, if it is, that it has been patched.

The rest of you LAN is likely vulnerable. Particularly the routers/access points.

Besides all that, your suggestion that public WiFi is safe is particularly laughable

Public, open WiFi is not affected by KRACK. That was all that was said.
It's no more or less safe because of KRACK. It's exactly the same as it was before.

Options

14 Posts

12-18-2017

United States of America

24 Signins

274 Page Views

• Message 208 of 5250

2017-12-19, 21:46 PM
AP, all devices and computers, either hardwired or patched long ago, are secure, except for the G5 Plus, which I will only allow very rarely to connect by WiFi when absolutely necessary. Absolutely mind boggling that after all this time, Lenovo/Moto can't get a patch out for this. I'm not an engineer, but from what I understand not all that complicated to remove the key reinstallation vulnerability. Either from incompetence, laziness, or seeking profits elsewhere, leaving users completely exposed like this, not good. Will come back to bite Lenovo/Moto's most important asset, reputation!
Options

521 Posts

12-29-2013

United States of America

556 Signins

10164 Page Views

• Views: 10164
  • Message 209 of 5250

2017-12-19, 22:08 PM

wrote:
AP, all devices and computers, either hardwired or patched long ago, are secure

Lucky you then. None of my routers/APs have patches yet and probably never will.
Nor will my DVD/BD players.

Either from incompetence, laziness, or seeking profits elsewhere, leaving users completely exposed like this, not good.

They don't have the resources allocated to do monthly patch cycles for all of the devices they are trying to support.

Unlike custom ROM teams, they can't just apply Google's patches and push out because there's no way to roll back, and no supported backup method. They have to do regression testing against a lot of other code.

Can you imagine the grief a bad update could cause? Bricked devices. Lost data.

FWIW, no OEM has patched any of my Android devcies. And there are hundreds of millions of devices in use that will never see a patch for KRACK or Blueborne or any other security fix.

Options

1 Posts

12-20-2017

Brazil

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 210 of 5250

Re: Android 8(Oreo) Update for moto g5 plus

2017-12-20, 5:43 AM

In fact my sister bought a Moto G5S Plus yesterday and it came with the Oreo version already. So no, they won't wait 'til G6 launch. (I have a moto G5 plus and I'm waiting for the release too.)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms