Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

11-27-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 5221 of 5250

Re: [OFFICIAL] Android 8(Oreo) Update CONFIRMED!

2018-11-27, 19:24 PM

Having similar issues after 8.1 update on my moto g5 plus on T-mobile noted here.

Incoming calls going to voicemail, my phone does not ring nor are there any entries in call history.

Options

20 Posts

02-09-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

72 Signins

353 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 353
  • Message 5222 of 5250

2018-11-29, 19:17 PM

1 Oct security update just landed on my G5, which was updated to 8.1 a few weeks back.  Wondering if we might finally be back on course with regular (ish) and timely (ish) updates - for a while, at least.

And bizarre to see this thread turn from a long rant at Motorola for not delivering Oreo into a rant from a few deniers who are offended to be offered it - you couldn't write this if you tried!

And, after a few weeks, my own take on the Oreo update is that very little change is evident to the user, unsurprisingly, other than changes to the notifications, and setup - which some will like and others may not.  The biggest change I've noticed is a significant improvement in battery life - in my rough estimation, 40-50% better - definitely worth it!  And I'm guessing that the security updates that are coming through will only be available to those who've upgraded to Oreo.

A shame we won't get P, but at least we got this far and are getting security updates.  The Samsung S3 that I paid a lot more for a few years back had a far worse upgrade trail, despite being a flagship product.

Options

89 Posts

04-03-2018

United States of America

57 Signins

893 Page Views

• Views: 893
  • Message 5223 of 5250

2018-11-29, 19:49 PM

Alec SP --- 

"And bizarre to see this thread turn from a long rant at Motorola for not delivering Oreo into a rant from a few deniers who are offended to be offered it - you couldn't write this if you tried!"

If you look back through the pages and pages of posts, its not "a few deniers" who are offended to be offered it" ----- it is a number of users who have voiced that it should not be a FORCED update for those who are not intersted.  And by perpetually prompting a user to "UPGRADE NOW?" with apparantly no way to turn that off (other than the tempporary fix of crashing the update app), it is not being "OFFERED"....it is being FORCED for all intents and purposes.

If you CHOOSE to upgrade and it works great...if you choose to take the risk and run into trouble, at least it was your CHOICE. Not a forced hand.

Moto (and to be fair, other phone manufacturers) providing this as an OPTION  that you could opt OUT of for a long time or permanantly would be a customer centric approach and the way it SHOULD be done.

"my own take on the Oreo update is that very little change is evident to the user, unsurprisingly, other than changes to the notifications, and setup - which some will like and others may not.  The biggest change I've noticed is a significant improvement in battery life - in my rough estimation, 40-50% better - definitely worth it!"

And if you check out the rest of the forums, there are numerous posts where people have experienced issues...some serious and some just PITAs.......my battery works great for my use --- lasts all day and then some.....and I am still on Nougat.  So WHAT should prompt me to WANT to risk causing problems or bricking my phone for a "free upgrade" that wont show me any benefits and that I do not want?

"  And I'm guessing that the security updates that are coming through will only be available to those who've upgraded to Oreo."

Aaaaaaaand there is the "the world is going to crash if you dont get this...." argument that Android and the phone manufacturers WANT you to buy into.......  LOL

If what you say is true, then the forced upogrades are purely for the sake of the manufacturer saving money.   If they force all users to upgrade, they do not have to "FIX" the version that the phone was ENGINEERED around to begin with.  If they brick your out of warranty phone during the upgrade, THEY WIN....you buy another phone (maybe the same brand or not) and another license of Android. 

"The Samsung S3 that I paid a lot more for a few years back had a far worse upgrade trail, despite being a flagship product."

Maybe you missed my posts, but my experience with a "free upgrade" on my  Samsung Note 4 is EXACTLY whay I have no interest in upgrading THIS phone.   My Note 4 bricked, just out of warranty.  Samsung told me too bad, so sad.

Again, if a device is working fine for a user, why should one want to upgrade?

I have yet to see any reasonable explanation for WHY it is basically a forced upgrade.

I counted no less than 9 "problem after Oreo update" threads on just lage 1 of this forum...... why would ANYONE volunteer to have those issues ?

Not to mention, phones like our G5 Plus now cant just have a quick replacement battery stuck in.....so there is a certain expected lifespan for the phone ANYWAYS....it wont live forever like before......so why subject yourself to "upgrades" that offer very little gain for a big risk?

Options

20 Posts

02-09-2018

72 Signins

353 Page Views

• Message 5224 of 5250

2018-12-02, 22:19 PM

wrote:

If you look back through the pages and pages of posts, its not "a few deniers" who are offended to be offered it" ----- it is a number of users who have voiced that it should not be a FORCED update for those who are not intersted.  And by perpetually prompting a user to "UPGRADE NOW?" with apparantly no way to turn that off (other than the tempporary fix of crashing the update app), it is not being "OFFERED"....it is being FORCED for all intents and purposes.

Your choice, then, and it's really not being forced - for the small minority that don't want it, just keep ignoring/refusing the updated offer.  I'm not defending Motorola, and agree that it would be good to be able to disable future updates, but that'd likely need a change to your existing copy of Android (as that functionality would be in the current ROM, not the update) and you don't want to update that...

wrote:
Not to mention, phones like our G5 Plus now cant just have a quick replacement battery stuck in.....so there is a certain expected lifespan for the phone ANYWAYS....it wont live forever like before......so why subject yourself to "upgrades" that offer very little gain for a big risk?

Mine's a G5, so an easily replaceable battery, which gives a lifespan rather longer than that of a battery - as long as the phone is still performant and not broken.

Options

89 Posts

04-03-2018

United States of America

57 Signins

893 Page Views

• Views: 893
  • Message 5225 of 5250

2018-12-02, 23:43 PM

"Your choice, then, and it's really not being forced - for the small minority that don't want it, just keep ignoring/refusing the updated offer. "

I assume, then, that you have always gone ahead with the updates.

Because had you NOT for any length of time you would understand the complaint.....CONSTANT NOTIFICATIONS that pop up in the middle of ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING.

That may be a "choice", but its a really crappy one.

And that lies on Motorola/Android for FORCING THE UPDATES.

Options

49 Posts

11-03-2017

United States of America

204 Signins

1510 Page Views

• Views: 1510
  • Message 5226 of 5250

2018-12-04, 8:36 AM

Here's one for you REPLACE MY PHONE or never get involved in any more Android upgrades ever again. After you Moto Lenovo decided to tinker around with Oreo my phone is almost useless. It takes roughly 5 mins just to load the settings page. My data is almost non existent. App crashes and phone freezes almost every day. This is ridiculous. 

Options

49 Posts

11-03-2017

United States of America

204 Signins

1510 Page Views

• Message 5227 of 5250

2018-12-08, 8:57 AM

I'll take Moto's lack of response as them saying they no longer care for their customers or products. It seems Moto has decided to bow down to the man. The founders of Moto are probably rolling in their graves at the lack of common sense that is trying to run this company.

Options

20 Posts

02-09-2018

72 Signins

353 Page Views

• Message 5228 of 5250

2018-12-09, 14:09 PM

wrote:

After you Moto Lenovo decided to tinker around with Oreo my phone is almost useless. It takes roughly 5 mins just to load the settings page. My data is almost non existent. App crashes and phone freezes almost every day. This is ridiculous. 

Just checking if you've tried a factory reset?  No promises but, although it's a bit of a pain to do, a factory reset once or twice a year can work wonders in removing dross and getting things back up and running.

A few months back, my G5 got in a terrible state.  Sluggish, and would then simply freeze.  I feared that was the end of it.  But, after a factory reset, it was good as new again.

Worth trying that before blaming the Oreo update that has been begged for by so many over 500 pages of this thread for over a year.

Options

49 Posts

11-03-2017

United States of America

204 Signins

1510 Page Views

• Message 5229 of 5250

2018-12-09, 22:09 PM
@AlecSp
Yes i have tried a simple soft reset via settings and a hard reset via the recover mode in the bootloader. I have checked all apps for any malware or viruses as well and checks out clean. None of this happened untill i received the update. And apparently a few friends who own different phones, not moto are having the same or similar issues after oreo upgrade.
Options

7 Posts

09-01-2018

Poland

46 Signins

182 Page Views

• Views: 182
  • Message 5230 of 5250

2018-12-10, 18:16 PM

I am happy with the update. Greetings.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms