Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_98058
What's DOS?
Views: 836
Message 21 of 40

Re: G5+ Oreo 8.1 T-Mobile wifi calling

Same problem with dropping wifi calling on my G5+ after Oreo upgrade.  When working, I have a constant notification at top of screen that wifi calling is preferred. When notification disappears, wifi calling is not possible. After reboot, wifi calling will work for hours, or even a day or two, then fails. My carrier is Ting / TMobile. BTW, my wife has an iPhone 6 and has no problem with wifi calling.  Like others, never had a problem with Nougat. Nougat was so reliable that we canceled our land line. Cell signal is almost non-existent inside our aluminum shrouded home. 

I'm sure there are many possible scenarios that are possible. One scenario I hope they are considering:

Background: There are two levels of ip address in the typical home. 

1) An ip address assigned by the internet provider (Comcast, etc) to your in-home router/modem.

2) ip addresses assigned by the router to devices (computers, phones, printers, etc.) within the home. 

The first ip address is usually a dynamic address. The provider can change this at will. 

The second set of addresses can be a mix of dynamic and static (fixed, non-changing).  The router can assign dynamic addresses as connected devices come and go; those with access to the router setup can assign static addresses.

I wonder if a change in the first (1) address is detected by the portion of Android responsiblie for normal wifi activities (like browsing) ,  but the portion of Android that routes phone calls through wifi  has cached the old address(1) at boot and doesn't update the address until the next boot.

Just a thought. 

MontanaMike
Paper Tape
Views: 724
Message 22 of 40

Re: Oreo 8.1 ER082 Unable to make calls over Wi-Fi

Exact same issue with my wife's Moto G5 Plus.  Tmobile wifi calling worked great up until Android 8.1.  It now will connect and work for a little while (sometimes as long as 24 hours) before it fails.  Tmobile says that Lenovo is responsible.  Any chance there is an update to fix this? Without wifi calling, this phone is useless to me.  We have very poor coverage at the house.  Considering buying an iphone.  I have an iphone and never have any issues like this.

bobpickering
Fanfold Paper
Views: 648
Message 23 of 40

I’m having a slightly different problem with my Moto G5 Plus with Android 8.1.  I’m on Consumer Cellular (AT&T).  I have 100 Mb cable internet.  Ookla Speedtest always says I have at least 100 Mb throughput.  But every few days, the phone says “Unable to make calls over Wi-Fi / Error#: ER082 – Unable to Connect” WHEN I’M NOT MAKING A CALL.  If I put the phone on the charger, three feet from my AC1900 router, and go to bed, the message will be there when I get up the next morning.  I can turn Wi-Fi calling off and on, and it will be fine for a while.  Should this phone complain about my Wi-Fi when it is just sitting on the charger, not being used?

AndyN
Paper Tape
Views: 627
Message 24 of 40

This is NOT SOLVED.  Having to reboot your phone each time wifi calling disconnects is not a solution (especially since it worked fine before the Oreo upgrade).

GRGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 614
Message 25 of 40

I agree this is NOT solved, but it's interesting from the posting that this demonstrates the error also occurs on the AT&T network, not just the T-Mobile netowrk. I have Consumer Cellular with the T-Mobile SIM (CC resells both AT&T and T-Mobile service), and have wondered if it was unique to the T-Mobile network, as all the previous postings reflected T-Mobile service. Now we know it's on both GSM networks in the US. So the bug must be in the Lenovo / Moto implementation of the Oreo 8.1 "improvement". I actually have to restart my phone each time (Moto G5+) to get it to return to WiFi calling. This is not a viable solution when there are multiple drops during the day. Plus at our house, we're on the fringe of reception OTA (about 1.5 miles both east and west to the nearest towers), so WiFi calling is a must. If this can't get solved soon, I may have to get a different smartphone.  I'm a bit surprised by how long this has been going on with no solution offered yet by Lenovo / Moto. Not a good way to keep customers!

Highlighted
reba7725
Blue Screen Again
Views: 537
Message 26 of 40

I am still having this problem, Consumer Cellular T-Mobile.  I've reboote ad nauseum.  I also use wifi calling at work and having the same problem.  I'd sure appreciate it if Lenovo/T-Mobile would get on the stick.

dedawson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 532
Message 27 of 40

I thought my problem had gone away, but the error message keeps popping up without regard to whether I’m making a call. When I reset the call preference to wi-fi, the error message disappears. It returns with seeming randomness. Hello Moto?

reba7725
Blue Screen Again
Views: 497
Message 28 of 40

Still happening here.  I go to all sorts of lengths: rebooting ad nauseum, changing from LTE to 3 and back again, turning wifi calling on and off, etc.  I'll sometimes get a few moments of wifi calling, with calls suddenly ending or ringing forever.  The wifi calling icon is lit at these times.

I think the mods should tell Lenovo that if this goes on much longer many, many people are going to move to new phones and they won't be Lenovo phones.

bshar489
What's DOS?
Views: 471
Message 29 of 40

My husbands phone is the same way. And this problem is no where near "solved"! At least I know what the problem is, but that sure isn't the same as it being solved. We got this phone through Consumer Cellular, a Moto G5+ and had no problems until the update. Also got the error 082. Have tried everything listed here and nothing works, at least not for long. I wish there was a way to undo the update, but I guess there isn't. To say my husband is unhappy doesn't even half describe how ticked off he is. So much so this is the first time I've signed onto any kind of message board. There doesn't seem to be any kind of fix except for maybe another phone and another carrier. If it comes to that I will be voicing our displeasure every place I can think of.  In the meantime I'll moniter this board to see if anybody comes up with a true solution.

bobpickering
Fanfold Paper
Views: 397
Message 30 of 40

This still isn’t solved.  As I said before, I regularly get ER082 when I’m not even using the phone.  My wife’s Android 7.1.1 T Mobile phone never gets ER082.  She’s obviously using the same router, modem, and ISP that I use.  When you suggest resetting the modem and router, and the very next poster says that that didn’t help, the problem isn’t solved.  Even if you don’t have the solution yet, it would be nice if you would acknowledge the problem.

Top Kudoed Authors