Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ULH
Punch Card
Views: 195
Message 1 of 3

Oreo 8.1 update: Settings - Storage unable to show details of internal memory

After installing the Oreo 8.1 update on my Moto G5 (XT1676) that became available yesterday, I noticed an issue with Settings - Storage. It is unable to show details for the internal memory. I am getting those details (apps, videos, audio...) ok for the SD card under Settings - Storage. The system only shows a circle with text "loading...", and nothing happens even after several minutes. I tried clearing the cache partition, but it didn't help. The amount of internal storage used appears to be correct (similar figure to what I had in 7.0): 13.8GB out of 16GB.

I am using the SD card as part of internal memory.

Thanks.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 41
Message 2 of 3

Re: Oreo 8.1 update: Settings - Storage unable to show details of internal memory

@ULH wrote:

After installing the Oreo 8.1 update on my Moto G5 (XT1676) that became available yesterday, I noticed an issue with Settings - Storage. It is unable to show details for the internal memory. I am getting those details (apps, videos, audio...) ok for the SD card under Settings - Storage. The system only shows a circle with text "loading...", and nothing happens even after several minutes. I tried clearing the cache partition, but it didn't help. The amount of internal storage used appears to be correct (similar figure to what I had in 7.0): 13.8GB out of 16GB.

I am using the SD card as part of internal memory.

Thanks.

Hi ULH,

Sorry to hear about this, can you test in safe mode and let me know if it behaves the same? Safe mode will start the device without third-party applications running. To boot into Safe mode, press the physical power key, touch and hold Power off, touch OK when Reboot to Safe mode appears. Restart the device to get out of safe mode. Also, can you please try to check the same with any other third party file Manager apps?

Thanks

Sandip

Moto Support

ULH
Punch Card
Views: 21
Message 3 of 3

Re: Oreo 8.1 update: Settings - Storage unable to show details of internal memory

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I tested in safe mode, and unfortunately the result for Settings - Storage was the same.

Regarding my installed file manager apps I got the following results:

- Files (Oreo built-in file manager): works ok

- Moto File Manager: works ok

- File Manager Plus: works ok

- Files by Google: this is interesting. The app appears to work properly, BUT it shows the internal memory usage as -7.51GB (yes, minus) out of 16 GB. Settings - Storage shows 13.29 GB used, which I believe is correct.

In my configuration of shared memory (SD + internal) the first three apps only show the SD card status, which I think is normal in this case. However, Files by Google shows usage status for the actual phone internal memory. When file browsing with the app I can access the SD card only.

This suggests that Android Settings and Files by Google hit a problem when trying to access the internal memory of the phone.

Top Kudoed Authors