Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trav77
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,410
Message 1 of 26

Oreo 8.1 update has corrupted my sd card

After applying the latest update to my g5 the SD card became unstable, wouldn't load, reboot seemed to load, reboot wouldn't load  Tried to reinstall it and now get an error during formatting (both as internal or portable storage). Error is "command 9' volume partition disk:176,64 private' failed with '400 12 Command failed'". The number in this report 9 increments each time I attempt this. The SD card was working perfectly prior to the update. That error is for internal storage, the portable is the same except public not private. Given this was part of the phones internal storage it seems like a pretty fundamental error.  The SD card is a Samsung EVO+ 32G.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,352
Message 2 of 26

Re: Oreo 8.1 update has corrupted my sd card

@Trav77 wrote:

After applying the latest update to my g5 the SD card became unstable, wouldn't load, reboot seemed to load, reboot wouldn't load  Tried to reinstall it and now get an error during formatting (both as internal or portable storage). Error is "command 9' volume partition disk:176,64 private' failed with '400 12 Command failed'". The number in this report 9 increments each time I attempt this. The SD card was working perfectly prior to the update. That error is for internal storage, the portable is the same except public not private. Given this was part of the phones internal storage it seems like a pretty fundamental error.  The SD card is a Samsung EVO+ 32G.

No one has reported this as a side effect of the update until now. Likely the combination of the load on the card when being used as internal storage, and additional write activity of the update pushed the card over the edge. 

There is usually a multi-year warranty on sd cards. Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if it is under warranty. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Trav77
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,127
Message 3 of 26

So I tried the card in another device and got a similar error  so the card is definitely not going to work  it has a 10 year warranty so have returned it for a replacement.  Seems incredibly coincidental that it was working fine until applying the 8.1 update and then it went wrong.  Anyway I think I'll go portable rather than internal work the replacement. 

rahrah1986
What's DOS?
Views: 2,914
Message 4 of 26

This has happened to mine just today after the update. I tried the memory card in my laptop and it crashed it. Put it back in my phone and it gets to 20% of formatting and it crashes with an error message "command '90 volume partitiondisk:179,64 public, failed with null"

Snipai
Paper Tape
Views: 2,751
Message 5 of 26

So they now state the problem is solves howeever what is the solution. Solution they give is: Anyway I think I'll go portable rather than internal work the replacement. . Can't be real.

So still got this problem: hCard gets to 20% of formatting and it crashes with an error message "command '90 volume partitiondisk:179,64 public, failed with null". But no solution

Jasper6
Paper Tape
Views: 2,693
Message 6 of 26

I had exactly the same problem with a Sandisk 128 GB card. Tried to reformat it on a PC to FAT. Did not work. Also did not work to reformat/erase on a Mac. Two sectors recognized- a small ~16 MB and the remainder as another sector. It definitely happened when I applied the update.
jrw77
What's DOS?
Views: 2,682
Message 7 of 26

NOT Solved!

I have the same problem, the update destroyed the SD card, probably by not properly carrying over the encryption passwords from the old to the new system. Just telling the user to seek warranty is not a solution. The update should never have been rolled out!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,632
Message 8 of 26

Hello guys,

The command 9 error usually indicates a broken or corrupted SD card. Please try other SD cards on your phone and let me know if you will still get the same thing.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Jasper6
Paper Tape
Views: 2,629
Message 9 of 26

Yes, I put in a new 64 GB card and it works fine. I'm leaving as ejectable media instead of formatting to internal memory.

Snipai
Paper Tape
Views: 2,595
Message 10 of 26

Nice answer. But how is it possible this happens to everybody when installing the update to Oreo 8.1.

Who can we hold responsible? A new good SD card to replace (that means for me size 128 GB) costs around € 30 (± 35 USD).

Top Kudoed Authors