Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jasper6
Not applicable
Views: 1,194
Message 11 of 26

Re: Oreo 8.1 update has corrupted my sd card

Sandisk just approved a replacement for me and an RMA free return label to ship back to them. Go to:

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/rmaform

Trav77
Not applicable
Views: 1,187
Message 12 of 26

I contacted Samsung about my card and they referred me to the retailer, Samsung would let me send it back (to Holland) if the retailer wouldn't help. However the retailer was brilliant and has sent me a replacement card.  From research it did seem that sd cards can fail with a lot of use and I guess an android upgrade does cause a lot of read /write activity so maybe..... Makes you wonder how useful the internal memory option is. 

Biggles_Norwich
Not applicable
Views: 1,132
Message 13 of 26

@Snipai wrote:

Nice answer. But how is it possible this happens to everybody when installing the update to Oreo 8.1.

Who can we hold responsible? A new good SD card to replace (that means for me size 128 GB) costs around € 30 (± 35 USD).

To be fair, it doesn't happen to everybody, I have two Moto G5s, both suffered from SD corruption on power cycling until an Android (7.0) update in Feb 2018 (which incidentally Motorola failed to confirm included a fix for the issue) https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/SD-Card-Corruption/m-p/4000392#M21246 . Since then both have been updated to Oreo 8.1 without any issues. Both use the SD card as external storage. When the phones were new I considered using the SD cards for internal storage, but as Google seem to discourage such use (i.e Google phones don't have SD card slots!), I thought it too risky.

I do agree though that it is incredibly frustrating that Motorola seem to be very slow in accepting that there may be a problem. They don't seem to be customer focussed.

jrw77
Not applicable
Views: 1,127
Message 14 of 26

As far as I know, this problem appears only when the SD-card was used as "Internal", not as "Portable Strorage". Therefore, positive experience when upgrading with only external storage SDs is irrelevant to the problem at hand.

Biggles_Norwich
Not applicable
Views: 1,124
Message 15 of 26

@jrw77 wrote:

As far as I know, this problem appears only when the SD-card was used as "Internal", not as "Portable Strorage". Therefore, positive experience when upgrading with only external storage SDs is irrelevant to the problem at hand.

Well, the previous  poster said "But how is it possible this happens to everybody when installing the update to Oreo 8.1.", so it's not irrelevant. I was just pointing out that it it does not happen to everybody when installing the update to Oreo 8.1. Others might find it helpful that the problem MAY be limited to those using the SD card for internal storage.

DenisIRL
Not applicable
Views: 1,090
Message 16 of 26

Same issue. SD card corrupted beyond use following 8.1 update . Was formatted as internal. Knowing internal is not a Solution. It clarifies the problem which Motorola is responsible for in my opinion. I will try return the card to Sandisk and maybe they will foot the bill. That doesn't replace lost photos etc. Poor show Motorola, you're losing it. 

AlphaDog
Not applicable
Views: 1,083
Message 17 of 26

@DenisIRL wrote:

Same issue. SD card corrupted beyond use following 8.1 update . Was formatted as internal. Knowing internal is not a Solution. It clarifies the problem which Motorola is responsible for in my opinion. I will try return the card to Sandisk and maybe they will foot the bill. That doesn't replace lost photos etc. Poor show Motorola, you're losing it. 

Cards do corrupt on their own too. Internal storage of sd cards is constantly writing encrypted data and is hard on the cards, so if you want your card to last, avoid internal storage to start with. 

But you should always have a backup anyway. If your phone is lost, you are forced to a reset (or the phone is corrupted), or the phone gets damaged, your card data would have been lost too. 

Numerous posts on a many other brand forums show the failure rate for adopted/internal storage is  much higher then using the card as external/portable. 

Althought i doubt it is any more then coincidence, it is more likely a google issue then motorola - the Samsung users blame the update too https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-and-s8-plus/879501-corrupted-sd-card-after-8-0-u...

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
tmann202
Not applicable
Views: 1,072
Message 18 of 26

Seems to be an internal card issue and based on this thread mostly regular G5, and I have it on portable with G5+ but ANYWAY, for the people that it crashed with, did you have the card in the phone when you did the update? 

Saw somewhere, maybe here, that it was best to take the card out while updating so wondering if that's the issue.

scooby71
Not applicable
Views: 930
Message 19 of 26

JM is absolutely no help whatsoever.

How he has a job is beyond me.

AmeyD
Not applicable
Views: 792
Message 20 of 26

One more joins the club..

Since first week of January, my moto g5 plus suddenly started showing my 32GB U1 memory card as corrupt with the same error while formatting the card.

The card is definitely not corrupt as it shows all content after connecting to PC through a card reader and shows nearly 2GB free.

Somewhere I think the software is at fault as everyone's cards get stuck at 20% while formatting and return the same error.

Due to encryption, the card isnt formatable  through other phones or PC, thusly rendering the SD card useless due to 'write protection'

At a loss as to what to do since I cannot return my card or format it either..

Screenshot_20190116-123944.pngStuck at 20%

Screenshot_20190116-124012.pngSame error as many others!

Moto G5 Plus
Top Kudoed Authors