Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Lspike86
Paper Tape
Views: 53,049
Message 1 of 54

People I call cannot hear me

Help needed please,

I am very frustrated with my 9 month old moto g5 plus that a few days ago suddenly stopped people from being able to hear me when I call them. I have cleared my cache, factory reset my phone, turned it off and on several times, checked voice privacy settings, and anything else my device help suggested. Nothing worked. The microphone is working I can hear audio that I record however people cannot hear me when I make a call on Facebook, duo chat, or regular calls. I am ready to throw this one away and get a new one but I'd really like help to fix it if possible. TIA.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 52,666
Message 2 of 54

Re: People I call cannot hear me

@Lspike86 wrote:

Help needed please,

I am very frustrated with my 9 month old moto g5 plus that a few days ago suddenly stopped people from being able to hear me when I call them. I have cleared my cache, factory reset my phone, turned it off and on several times, checked voice privacy settings, and anything else my device help suggested. Nothing worked. The microphone is working I can hear audio that I record however people cannot hear me when I make a call on Facebook, duo chat, or regular calls. I am ready to throw this one away and get a new one but I'd really like help to fix it if possible. TIA.

Hi Lspike86,

Sorry to hear about this please follow the mentioned steps and let us know 

Check your volume setting.
Check that nothing is covering the microphone:

If you are using a case, cover or screen protector, remove it and see if it was causing the issue.
Check that the protective film that ships with the phone has been removed.
Check to see if your phone is using Voice privacy. (This feature not available on all models.) Turn it off to see if sound quality improves:

Touch > Settings > Voice calls and touch the SIM.
Turn off Voice privacy.
If the issue occurs while using the speakerphone or a Bluetooth headset, check your signal strength.

In the status bar, see how many bars your network connection has. If you see only one or two bars, change locations to improve your signal strength, particularly if you are indoors.

Turn your phone off and then on again.

Press and hold the Power button, then touch Power off. Then turn it on to establish a new connection with the network.

Check if a software update is available for your phone.
Turn off Voice Match.

Open the Google app.
Touch > Settings > Voice > Voice Match.
Turn Say “Ok Google” any time off .
Saying “OK, Google” won't work from all screens, but you can touch the search widget first, then say “OK, Google”.

Use safe mode to see if apps you installed are causing the issue and uninstall as needed.
Clear the phone's cache partition.
Reset the phone.

After the reset, if you still find the same you may request a repair here bit.ly/1nSdHPq Hope it helps.

Thanks 

Sandip

Cindi153
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 52,527
Message 3 of 54

In following directions for the volume fix, I don't have a setting within "settings" for voice calls.

I lost audio, especially on receivers end, after last update. 

I see a ton of threads on multiple user boards with the same issue.  My phone is 6 months old.  Running on 7.0.

I have to put every call on speaker, and even then I have to raise my voice for the other side to hear me.

I notice this has been an issue before, but this issue is a new one that started approximately 3 weeks ago.

ANY HELP appreciated.  I can no longer talk to my grandson on the phone 😥

Cindi 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 52,473
Message 4 of 54

@Cindi153 wrote:

In following directions for the volume fix, I don't have a setting within "settings" for voice calls.

I lost audio, especially on receivers end, after last update. 

I see a ton of threads on multiple user boards with the same issue.  My phone is 6 months old.  Running on 7.0.

I have to put every call on speaker, and even then I have to raise my voice for the other side to hear me.

I notice this has been an issue before, but this issue is a new one that started approximately 3 weeks ago.

ANY HELP appreciated.  I can no longer talk to my grandson on the phone 😥

Cindi 

Hi Cindi153,

We understand your concern. Can you do some basic troubleshooting steps that can help resolve the concern. Use Device Help Application to diagnose an issue. Run a diagnostic first on Device Help App > Fix > Hardware Test. also can you try to check with headset and see if that helps.

Thanks

Sandip

Cindi153
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 52,450
Message 5 of 54

Sandip

I did the individual hardware tests; when I got to "speaker" and recorded the volume was so low I could barely hear it.  

So while I could hear it, it was decidedly too low.

Please advise.

Regards,

Cindi

Cindi153
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 52,441
Message 6 of 54

Sorry, microphone, not speakers.

Cindi

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 52,320
Message 7 of 54

@Cindi153 wrote:

Sorry, microphone, not speakers.

Cindi

Hi Cindi153,

Start by checking your volume setting. You can only adjust the call volume with the Volume buttons while you’re on a call.

Wired headset

Make sure the headset is inserted completely into the headset jack.
If you are using a case or cover, remove it and re-insert the headset to see if it was interfering.
Try a different headset to determine if the issue is with the original headset.
Earpiece

Check that nothing is covering the microphone:

If you are using a case, cover or screen protector, remove it and see if it was causing the issue.
Check that the protective film that ships with the phone have been removed.
While in a call, try using the speakerphone or a wired headset to see if the sound quality improves. If it doesn’t, the issue is probably network signal strength instead of hardware.
Turn your phone off and then on again.

Press and hold the Power button, then touch Power off. Then turn it on to establish a new connection with the network.

Use safe mode to see if apps you installed are causing the issue and uninstall as needed.
Check if a software update is available for your phone.
Try Reset the phone.

If you find the same result after the reset too then submitting your phone for repair would be the next logical action.

Thanks

Sandip

Moto Support

CabaRealty
Paper Tape
Views: 52,146
Message 8 of 54

This appears to be a chronic issue with the Moto G5 Plus and the only answer I keep seeing is to become a phone tech tweaking software in the phone.  I didn't spend my money to buy a project phone, I thought that I purchased a state of the art communication device.  Is it time for a software fix by Lenovo or a product recall?

Cindi153
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 52,126
Message 9 of 54

I've had 6 months and it was fine until 6-8 weeks ago.  Volume was great.

I have to take every call on speaker and raise my voice.  Ran checks and got 2 error messages.  One was for microphone.

Already getting marketing to purchase the 6.  

I want to fix THIS 6 months old 5 fixed.

This was my first unlocked purchase, and probably my last.

I KNOW I'm not the only one to have this recent problem.  Where's the FIX?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 51,991
Message 10 of 54

@Cindi153 wrote:

I've had 6 months and it was fine until 6-8 weeks ago.  Volume was great.

I have to take every call on speaker and raise my voice.  Ran checks and got 2 error messages.  One was for microphone.

Already getting marketing to purchase the 6.  

I want to fix THIS 6 months old 5 fixed.

This was my first unlocked purchase, and probably my last.

I KNOW I'm not the only one to have this recent problem.  Where's the FIX?

Hi Cindi153,

Sorry to hear about this, you may request a repair here bit.ly/1nSdHPq Hope it helps 

Thanks
Sandip

Moto Support

Top Kudoed Authors