Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimGale
What's DOS?
Views: 2,284
Message 21 of 54

Re: People I call cannot hear me

I have a workaround for this community issue...

Go to Settings->Apps. In the upper right [:] menu, choose 'Show System'.

Find and choose 'Phone' -> FORCE STOP. Then choose Storage and Clear Cache.

Now when you start up the phone app again, the mic will work.

/However/ this is temporary. It will fail again in hours or a day. 

This is clearly a conflict between the current Android OS and Moto's phone overlay/mods. And Moto needs to release a fix. Hopefully, this workaround will guide the devs to find the issue.

BH18
Paper Tape
Views: 2,084
Message 22 of 54

I accessed this post to try to find a solution myself - within the past several days, when I made or received phone calls on my Moto G4 I could hear the other person, but they could not hear me.  If I turned the phone off and back on, it would work temporarily but then would happen again.  I tried most of the proposed solutions listed on these forums - safe mode, clear cache, etc (I did NOT do a reset, as it appeared from feedback that it didnt solve the problem).  And I did a complete hardware test, and my microphone and speaker both tested out fine, so it appears to be a software issue. I think I may have found a solution.

I looked for apps that asked for permission to use microphone.  The only one was Google - and since Google app was on the phone originally and not installed from Google Play, safe mode didn't suppress it.  I went to Settings-Apps-Google-Permissions.  I turned off Microphone and Phone.  Since then (24 hours), the phone has been working fine, probably 20+ successful calls.  It probably eliminates some of the voice control features of Google, but I don't use them anyway.  I just need to be able to make and receive phone calls.  

I'd be interested to hear if this works for anyone else.

Cindi153
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,080
Message 23 of 54

Thank you.  I am trying now.  Will see what happens.

CK

Cindi153
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,034
Message 24 of 54

No go on my end.

Cindi

chronos56
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,983
Message 25 of 54

I am experiencing the same problem.

Agree its a software issue, I have disabled the mike in Google and the problem went away for 24-48 hours, now half the calls I make people cannot hear me again.

I have had this phone for just over a year, it is on 8.1 and in perfect conmdition. Out of warrantee, Smiley Sad

PLEASE FIND A FIX ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!

This phone is about to be replaced if a solution is not found soon. And it won't be a MOTO

JimGale
What's DOS?
Views: 1,965
Message 26 of 54

Nothing, not even the remove-Google, worked for me. I ended up replacing it via warranty.

What's /really/ weird is that the camera Video RECORDS audio just fine. However, a voice recording app, and all phone calls have the MIC not working, even after a complete factory reset and numerous OS updates (even 7->8.1). So, it's not a mic problem, just a mic symptom. (Maybe stereo/mono encoding?)

Either way, the /new/ Moto ($25 replacement fee) is working.

WARNING: If you choose the replacement route, get ready to deal with the most inefficient customer support system /ever/. Email took 2 weeks (2 days per reply) to get me a replacement link, which didn't work, and after some more emails, they said to call or chat. So I chatted (IM/online), went thru everything again, had to get my IMEI. Chat timed out quickly. Had to re-chat. Fortunately copied the whole chat - but they still asked questions that were already answered. They took my credit card info and issued a replacement - but NEVER actually issued an RMA. 3 days later got an email that due to my not responding, they called the email thread SOLVED. So I called, had to explain everything all over again AFTER they read the transactions/email. They said no RMA was issued. He took my credit card info again and finally issued a real RMA/fedex replacement.

LESSON: Just call - get their name. And if in 2 hours you don't have an RMA email, call again.

chronos56
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,919
Message 27 of 54

Bump to top.

Any ideas? Thins is a critical bug that needs attention ASAP

BH18
Paper Tape
Views: 1,898
Message 28 of 54

As happened with others, disabling the Google microphone permission was a temporary success, I'm back to people not being able to hear me (sporadically).  I did find this thread (below), from another Motorola phone, that appears to be the identical problem -- and Motorola is saying that they think they have found the "glitch" and are testing a software update to fix. Problem is, they give no time frame for release.  Not sure I can hang in there with this issue until they fix it, my wife is already screaming at me to get a new phone.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-M/After-latest-patch-update-in-Moto-M-mic-not-working/m-p/3719884#...

Cindi153
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,898
Message 29 of 54

If nothing else, they are finally admitting it's a widespread problem.

I bought Bluetooth earbuds which makes it better. For calls only. Still no sound on video, etc. Your also think, since they had this issue on a previous version, they would have taken it more seriously.
I'll be turning mine in, 9 months after problem identified, 11 since purchase.
BeanMonster
What's DOS?
Views: 1,835
Message 30 of 54

+1 for users experiencing this issue - I though I was going mad and it is so frustrating

Symptoms the same, call seems OK then at some point, the other end of call says they can't hear me.  This is not a cell coverage issue. I also seem to get random break of call even when max cell signal.

The longer the call, the more likely it is to hit the problem

Having done some research, this seems to be a widespread issue and Lenovo/Moto need to get it fixed

Was so keen on Moto, we have 5 of them in the family.  I am the first to upgrade to the G5  but this is looking like Samsung needs to be the way ahead unless this is fixed soon.

I am comvinced this is not a hardware issue  because seems so common to many others issues

Top Kudoed Authors