Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tmann202
Punch Card
Views: 164
Message 11 of 20

Re: Please give Moto G5 Plus owners an option to opt out of Oreo update

Wait, this caught my eye:

"HE also confirmed that eventually the OS "upgrade" would happen automatically -- which is exactly what happened to my Samsung $800+ flagship phone which bricked it out of warranty."

When would this happen? Automatcially, at any time?  Without even being notified first?? If so that is competely ridiculous, since I would at least want to take the SD card out and clear the cache beforehand which has been recommended to try to avoid problems. 

Not good since I can live with stopping the Moto Update app upon reboot (which I don't do very often) instead of upgrading. 

Intel_inside
Punch Card
Views: 142
Message 12 of 20

@scumbuster wrote:

"Well....you can call it nonsense, but its a tried and true concept that still holds true to this day."

"When hardware is designed it is bult around the newest OS available."

Is it? The Snapdragon 625 is a SoC that was released in 2016. It's quite old and has been succeeded by newer versions. However, manufacturers are still using the SoC in their new phones. Phones like the Mi A2 Lite, Moto One, etc. are using this SoC and they were released with Android Oreo, with 2 major OS updates in the pipeline. But like you said, if the SoC is "really old" tech which won't work well with new software, why are manufacturers still using it? If these new Android One phones like Mi A2 Lite and Moto One can run the latest software, why can't the G5 Plus, which has the exact same SoC?

"but i would be interested to see how you tested and benchmarked in order to make the assertion that it runs "better" than the original OS.  UNLESS of course the original OS install and apps had issues to begin with , which taints the comparison."

Well, the update didn't break anything. All the apps I had installed before the update still work fine, never faced any random slowdowns or crashes. Isn't that enough of testing? After all, that's what most would care about.

"Explain to the folks posting with problems how its all in their minds r their own fault somehow, since if YOU have had no issues, SURELY there are no issues out there.   Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight."

Like I said in my previous post, there were a lot of people that faced issues even with Nougat, which was in your words the "original OS" for the device. If the hardware was indeed designed FOR Nougat, why did these people face issues?

scumbuster
SCSI Port
Views: 116
Message 13 of 20

@tmann202 wrote:

Wait, this caught my eye:

"HE also confirmed that eventually the OS "upgrade" would happen automatically -- which is exactly what happened to my Samsung $800+ flagship phone which bricked it out of warranty."

When would this happen? Automatcially, at any time?  Without even being notified first?? If so that is competely ridiculous, since I would at least want to take the SD card out and clear the cache beforehand which has been recommended to try to avoid problems. 

Not good since I can live with stopping the Moto Update app upon reboot (which I don't do very often) instead of upgrading. 

Yes, he said that at some piont the "upgrade will just happen on its own"....

I do not doubt this as it is exactly what happened to my Samsung Note 4 the day it bricked.

scumbuster
SCSI Port
Views: 115
Message 14 of 20

@Intel_inside wrote:

@scumbuster wrote:

"Well....you can call it nonsense, but its a tried and true concept that still holds true to this day."

Is it? The Snapdragon 625 is a SoC that was released in 2016. It's quite old and has been succeeded by newer versions. However, manufacturers are still using the SoC in their new phones. Phones like the Mi A2 Lite, Moto One, etc. are using this SoC and they were released with Android Oreo, with 2 major OS updates in the pipeline. But like you said, if the SoC is "really old" tech which won't work well with new software, why are manufacturers still using it? If these new Android One phones like Mi A2 Lite and Moto One can run the latest software, why can't the G5 Plus, which has the exact same SoC?

"but i would be interested to see how you tested and benchmarked in order to make the assertion that it runs "better" than the original OS.  UNLESS of course the original OS install and apps had issues to begin with , which taints the comparison."

Well, the update didn't break anything. All the apps I had installed before the update still work fine, never faced any random slowdowns or crashes. Isn't that enough of testing? After all, that's what most would care about.

"Explain to the folks posting with problems how its all in their minds r their own fault somehow, since if YOU have had no issues, SURELY there are no issues out there.   Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight."

Like I said in my previous post, there were a lot of people that faced issues even with Nougat, which was in your words the "original OS" for the device. If the hardware was indeed designed FOR Nougat, why did these people face issues?

You are completely mising my points and seem to just want to argue that you are right.  Will not try to explain any further since its obvious you disagree.....thats fine.

But to force OS updates, upgrades, changes, whatever you want to call them on people , when the scenario is using a NEW OS in OLD hardware, well, thats wrong.

Its done because it saves the manufacturer money and support effort.

Period.

We can agree to disagree.  My years of experiences tells me I am right.

I will no continue to argue the minutia and semantics as it is a waste of time.

If you feel that this practice is ok, well, you have been snookered by the manufacturers who only stand to gain from this practice.

Ignore it all you want.

They say that naivete is bliss.   Smiley Wink

In thje meantime, is it OK if the folks like me who have experienced issues that take up our time and energy due to the "upgrades" continue to be concerend with watsing our time and energy needlessly on chasing issues that are introduced due to "updates and upgrades" ??

scumbuster
SCSI Port
Views: 114
Message 15 of 20

@Intel_inside wrote:

But I will address this particular question......

NO, it isnt enough testing.   In fact that isnt "testing" at all.

It's chance.

I went ahead and did the "upgrade" and I have an app that quit working.....Pandora no longer plays nicely with my RF PMX2 unit.

I also find that my battery is draining at a faster rate than before.

So, bully for you that you are pleased as punch with YOUR results......but I, like others, and as expected, am facing now having to spend time to hunt down fixes necessitated by this UNWANTED OREO UPDATE.

Your "results" arent any more validating of OREO than my results are condemning of it.....but my results combined with those of others who started having issues only AFTER the OS change indicates that your results are not universal.

mifisherman
Paper Tape
Views: 96
Message 16 of 20

Thank you scumbuster. Well said. I agree with all of what you said. My G5 Plus made me very happy until I was forced into Oreo. As I didn't have time and smarts to do what you did I upgraded and the problems started. My G5 Plus is unstable compared to what it used to be prior to the upgrade. I am exploring moving back to a Samsung which is where I came from. Thanks for taking the time to state my frustrations. I expected much more from Motorola.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 87
Message 17 of 20

@mifisherman wrote:

Thank you scumbuster. Well said. I agree with all of what you said. My G5 Plus made me very happy until I was forced into Oreo. As I didn't have time and smarts to do what you did I upgraded and the problems started. My G5 Plus is unstable compared to what it used to be prior to the upgrade. I am exploring moving back to a Samsung which is where I came from. Thanks for taking the time to state my frustrations. I expected much more from Motorola.

Or just reset - if you buy a new phone you will have be doing the same thing - set up as new and test. Then add your google account and your apps. Likely all your stability issues will go away. 

If you viist the Samsung forums you will see users complaining about problems with updates. In place updates bring many problems in all OS from phones to computers. The solution is a clean install regardless of manufacturer. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
scumbuster
SCSI Port
Views: 62
Message 18 of 20

@mifisherman wrote:

I honestly do not believe you will have better luck with Samsung UNLESS you buy a new phone that is already on the latest OS.

And even then, at some point they will want to "upgrade" you. I came from Samsung and I will NEVER go back there......their forced update bricked my phone and they offered to "fix it" for $500+.   And they were going to be gracious enough to give me a 30 day warranty.  LOL.  No thanks.

The problem is widespread......the manufacturers go along with Andorid incessantly "upgrading" becauise it saves and makes them money.  No doubt about it.

Seems like consumers are, more and more, falling for the glamour of "having the latest OS".

Back in the old days, us techs called those types all sorts of names....LOL

Its funny how some like to insist that there ar no problems caused by this never ending onslaught of "upgrades" and how they accept it willingly...and how the yaccept the HORRIBLE "customer support" model now being used by the majoroty of tech companies......know-nothing level 1 techs reading from a checklist and if that doesnt fix the problem it MUST be the user.

SIGH

My Oreo change has not so far netted a bricked phone, but battery life seems to be worse or at least no different than before....I got no features that I need/want.....just changes...........and PPandora is now acting up again, and I have to pursue that...again.

To the green technicians and tech users who think they have a lock on how things should be, CHANGE IS NOT ALWAYS A GOOD THING.  You have never known the security of knowing your PC or device is stable and wont change and can be relied on 100% because the support model changed before you were out of diapers.  But trust me when I say, its wonderful being abel to rely on your technology because a strict protocol was followed for any changes.  That is all "old fashioned" now.

Manufacturers foist that on us as consumers and we are told "thats just the way it is".

Old timers like me dont like it but unfortunately the green users out there accept it willingly as gospel.

So, we have what we have.  ANd obviously Lenovo/Motorola have no interest in addressing user concerns -- how many replies from a Moto employee do you see? And when you do, how many are really helpful replies?

Again, "thats just the way it is", accepted by the younger crowd these days.  But us old folks used to expect - and get -- REAL support and help when we needed it.

The ysay whats old is new again, so hopefully at some point, stricter protocols for software "updates" and REAL customer support will become fashionable again.

But till then, its "update every time the dog sneezes" and "oh you want to speak to an english speaking US citizen who you can understand and has actual HELP for you??  Good luck with that!"

Intel_inside
Punch Card
Views: 42
Message 19 of 20

@scumbuster wrote:

@Intel_inside wrote:

@scumbuster wrote:

You are completely mising my points and seem to just want to argue that you are right.  Will not try to explain any further since its obvious you disagree.....thats fine.

But to force OS updates, upgrades, changes, whatever you want to call them on people , when the scenario is using a NEW OS in OLD hardware, well, thats wrong.

Its done because it saves the manufacturer money and support effort.

Period.

We can agree to disagree.  My years of experiences tells me I am right.

I will no continue to argue the minutia and semantics as it is a waste of time.

If you feel that this practice is ok, well, you have been snookered by the manufacturers who only stand to gain from this practice.

Ignore it all you want.

They say that naivete is bliss.   Smiley Wink

In thje meantime, is it OK if the folks like me who have experienced issues that take up our time and energy due to the "upgrades" continue to be concerend with watsing our time and energy needlessly on chasing issues that are introduced due to "updates and upgrades" ??

I've owned various phones from companies like LG, Sony and Motorola. All of them (except the LG) have received at least one major OS update (the Samsung phone got two), and hear me, NONE of them have faced issues post the OS update. Your experience tells "old" hardware can't cope with new software, but unfortunately your words don't mean to squat to me or anyone else who's having a LITTLE experience with custom ROMs. Perhaps you should try visiting XDA sometime. 

Intel_inside
Punch Card
Views: 41
Message 20 of 20

@scumbuster wrote:

@Intel_inside wrote:

But I will address this particular question......

NO, it isnt enough testing.   In fact that isnt "testing" at all.

It's chance.

I went ahead and did the "upgrade" and I have an app that quit working.....Pandora no longer plays nicely with my RF PMX2 unit.

I also find that my battery is draining at a faster rate than before.

So, bully for you that you are pleased as punch with YOUR results......but I, like others, and as expected, am facing now having to spend time to hunt down fixes necessitated by this UNWANTED OREO UPDATE.

Your "results" arent any more validating of OREO than my results are condemning of it.....but my results combined with those of others who started having issues only AFTER the OS change indicates that your results are not universal.

Maybe my results aren't universal, but it never was even before the update. While I was happy with my phone before Oreo as well, there were a lot of people facing various issues with their phones. Got any valid explanation for that? Or are you planning to dodge this question again?

And if an app doesn't work, it's the developer's fault. Maybe the app doesnt support Oreo yet, so try contacting the developer.

Top Kudoed Authors