Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ISW12
What's DOS?
Views: 1,015
Message 11 of 23

Re: SD won't read in new 8.1 Android OREO

I have the same issue, SD card is set as shared storage, wontwlet me uninstall) reinstall any apps on SD card. Phone freezes then goes into reboot which fails also. Card reads ok on pc  was working fine before update. Looking through the posts, looks like issue occurs when SD card is set as shared storage. Any tips before I have to format card?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 972
Message 12 of 23

@ISW12 wrote:

I have the same issue, SD card is set as shared storage, wontwlet me uninstall) reinstall any apps on SD card. Phone freezes then goes into reboot which fails also. Card reads ok on pc  was working fine before update. Looking through the posts, looks like issue occurs when SD card is set as shared storage. Any tips before I have to format card?

Have you already tried using a different SD card? How about setting your SD card as portable storage? Would you please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 969
Message 13 of 23

@gapal wrote:
I am having the exact same issue. I have a 64GB sanDisk Class 10 SD card. It was working fine since I purchased the phone (almost 6 months). 3 days back after updating to Android 8.1 OREO, I started getting errors msgs for multiple apps. Once I restarted phone, I started getting msg that Smiley FrustratedanDisk SD card missing" "Reinsert...". I tried multiple reboots. remove, then insert again, etc etc... but no help.
I can share screenshots, submit bug report if required.
Please help.

Hi gapal,

This is unexpected after an update. How is your SD card formatted (internal or portable)? Have you tried a different SD card to test? Would you please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

DmytroB
What's DOS?
Views: 910
Message 14 of 23

I have MotoG5 and experience the same issue - I have received the OTA update to Oreo 8.1 and was very glad with it. But it worked only for a day or two then my SD card just disappeared! In the morning I was watching videos from the SD card and in the afternoon it was no longer there. With all my photos, music and videos. I tried a lot of times: powering off/on, rebooting, removing SD card and booting without it + turn off + reinsert SD card - all to no avail. The card is not detected as is not displayed anywhere in the settings, the apps (Total Commander, QuickPic, MXPlayer) also can't see the card. I have a Kingston SDC4/16GB card (C16G 1311PW4278P)

LCLou
Paper Tape
Views: 895
Message 15 of 23

Also did the update to Oreo OPP28.85-13 last night on my Moto G5.  And got the message that it was successful.  and a separate message re. my SDcard. That I needed to reinstall it.  Tried taking it out a couple of times.  Didn't want to reformat and lose everything.  After reading this forum and registering, so maybe an hour, it now seems to recognise my SD card.  So, I think, problem solved.  Don't know if it just took time or sliding the card out twice helped?  Hope everyone finds a good solution.

I find it very irritating that the customer support on the website does not list the MOTO G5 on it's own.  Just the Plus or even MOTO G4.  Glad the forum is here for MOTO G5 and accessible through a question on Google.

Thank you.

econn2000
Paper Tape
Views: 815
Message 16 of 23

I'm having same issue on my XT1650. SD card has worked for a couple of years; and then after OTA update to 8.0, I received an "SD Card Missing" error. I should not have to sacrifice other cards just to test if this one is bad. It is obviously a problem with the update because it is happening to many users, across multiple brands and platforms. FRUSTRATING!

This is the third Moto phone that has ultimately been destroyed by OTA updates. It's very supicious that it always seems to occur somewhere near the upgrade eligibility  point of my purchase contracts.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 796
Message 17 of 23

Hi econn2000,

Thanks for posting here. I'd like to help. A software update improves the phone's performance so I wouldn't say for sure that this was caused by the update. I understand that you'd like to get it solved, have you tried resetting the SD card? Let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

DenisIRL
What's DOS?
Views: 737
Message 18 of 23

Same. My SD card seems to have been destroyed following update. Nothing will download and apps randomly crash. Not good enough. Is there a solution please?

lenovo1234567
Paper Tape
Views: 717
Message 19 of 23

Here the same.

Before the updrage to 8.1 on Android 7

Prior installing the 8.1 Android OREO i installed a brand new SD card (SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSD U3 A2 160MB/).

On Android 7 the card could be formated as internal storage but was not working. The card is available in the settings-> Storage section BUT the card/storage was not available in the Android filemanager. Also not in any other new installed filemanager App. Storage was grayed out in the basic filemanager. As the internal formated storage card was not available to be accessed or geting used I upgraded to Android 8.1.

After the updrage to 8.1

Formating the SD card as external storage (unencrypted!) was possible and the card was available in the filemanager. But this is highly unsafe to store your files on.

So hoping for the better I installed 8.1 Andriod Oreo. I received in Europa 2 updates. But this did not solved the issue in any way.

External system storage app

So I was seeing/reading some information on youtube.... Advise for the Moto G5 Plus was to go to the apps, External storage (system app!) stop the app from operating and clear the cache/storage for this app.  Afterwards a reboot.

The internal formated storage card seems to become available in the filemanager. But....

Connecting to Windows for reading the files on the phone using explorer.... only the internal storage is available....

Whats wrong? Mabe this helps to identify the issue. Issue was it seems now also there in Android 7 though....

Now my external storage in the Moto G5 Plus phone seems to become unusable for the 2 phones I have. Don't like this at all.

Any thought about it?

Pstandard
Punch Card
Views: 682
Message 20 of 23

Another "me too".

SD card in my moto G5 is fried.

Isn't recognised when I plug the SD card into my PC either.

Another SD card I had spare works fine in both.

Top Kudoed Authors