Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bruni
Paper Tape
Views: 1,060
Message 1 of 15

SIM occasionally disconnected

My phone has recently, i.e. during the last three days, started to disconnect from its SIM 1 card. I can restore the connection by restarting the phone, but the problem is, of course, that I can't trust that I am connected for receiving phone calls. So it is a really bad problem. Anything one can do about this? I noticed other people have had similar problems, but not perhaps exactly the same.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 999
Message 2 of 15

Re: SIM occasionally disconnected

@Bruni wrote:

My phone has recently, i.e. during the last three days, started to disconnect from its SIM 1 card. I can restore the connection by restarting the phone, but the problem is, of course, that I can't trust that I am connected for receiving phone calls. So it is a really bad problem. Anything one can do about this? I noticed other people have had similar problems, but not perhaps exactly the same.

I have seen this happen due to varying sim thickness. Some users have reported that a thicker sim card solved their issue. 

I am assuming your phone has a sim slot under the back cover, and not a sim carrier tray that pops out. 

When it happens again, try removing the back and pushing on the sim slot (with card installed) to see if you can test contacts. If that helps, you  may be able to remove the SIM and push on the slot a bit to make the gap less, then put the sim card back in. Others have put a piece of tape or a piece of paper on the back of the sim card. 

If your phone is under warranty, you may want to visit a service center/send in for service instead of doing your own evaluation. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Bellebouche67
Fanfold Paper
Views: 998
Message 3 of 15

Identical problem with my g5plus S.

I've tried asking for help here (three times so far) and have had no response from Motorola.

It rarely connects on 4G, when it does look like I have a network connection, if I turn off wifi and try to use mobile data roaming this will cause the phone to lose the connetcion to the SIM.

Screenshot_20181012-114223jpg.jpg

In this stage I often see a small x symbol on the signal strength indicator

roaming Screenshot_20181014-122809 (1).jpg

Here's an example from when I was roaming recently.

I have noticed the the phone will (when it is working) constantly cycle through available network types... 3G/Edge/2G and then it ends up in this suspended state... like the software is trying to get some kind of connection. If I then restart the phone or disable and re-enable the SIM it will often reconnect and work for a short while before the whole process starts again.

I have reset/restarted the phone.
Cleared the cache
Performed a factory reset and tried the phone with No apps installed.
I have tried the SIM in another phone - it works without issue and gets an immediate 4G connection in the same location.

I've spent a long time browsing this support forum (I've had the phone for 8 weeks now) and have come across no conclusive answer as to what looks to be an inherent flaw with the phone.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 995
Message 4 of 15

@AlphaDog wrote:

@Bruni wrote:

I have seen this happen due to varying sim thickness. Some users have reported that a thicker sim card solved their issue. 

I am assuming your phone has a sim slot under the back cover, and not a sim carrier tray that pops out. 

When it happens again, try removing the back and pushing on the sim slot (with card installed) to see if you can test contacts. If that helps, you  may be able to remove the SIM and push on the slot a bit to make the gap less, then put the sim card back in. Others have put a piece of tape or a piece of paper on the back of the sim card. 

If your phone is under warranty, you may want to visit a service center/send in for service instead of doing your own evaluation. 

Just to clarify - my recommendations are regarding a missing sim, or sim not found type message. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Bruni
Paper Tape
Views: 958
Message 5 of 15

@AlphaDog wrote:

@Bruni wrote:

No, moto gs5 plus comes with a sim carrier tray (slot on the side). Still, it is very possible that the problem has to do with the card not being inserted firmly enough.

Bruni
Paper Tape
Views: 956
Message 6 of 15

I am not convinced that this is exactly the same problem. I have also encountered the "x on the signal strenght indicator", but for me this seems to occur in areas with a very weak 4G field (inside a house with thick walls, for instance). When I loose connection in the way I tried to describe, the signal strenght indicator turn into a "transparent triangel", i.e. there are no indications of any field. Equal to completely removing the card, I think. No internet, but no calls coming through either.

I have tried to reinsert my SIM and it has worked after that. So let's see.

@Bellebouche67 wrote:

I've tried asking for help here (three times so far) and have had no response from Motorola.

It rarely connects on 4G, when it does look like I have a network connection, if I turn off wifi and try to use mobile data roaming this will cause the phone to lose the connetcion to the SIM.

I have noticed the the phone will (when it is working) constantly cycle through available network types... 3G/Edge/2G and then it ends up in this suspended state... like the software is trying to get some kind of connection. If I then restart the phone or disable and re-enable the SIM it will often reconnect and work for a short while before the whole process starts again.

Cleared the cache
I have tried the SIM in another phone - it works without issue and gets an immediate 4G connection in the same location.

I've spent a long time browsing this support forum (I've had the phone for 8 weeks now) and have come across no conclusive answer as to what looks to be an inherent flaw with the phone.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 923
Message 7 of 15

@Bellebouche67 wrote:

Cleared the cache

Your problem sounds different.  I would still ask your carrier for a different sim to try. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 884
Message 8 of 15

@Bellebouche67 wrote:

Cleared the cache

Hi Bellebouche67,

Greetings from Motorola,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.  As you have tried with all possible troubleshooting steps, our best advice for this situation is that you submit your device for review and repair at one of our service centers so that repair engineer could examine your device and provide a proper resolution.

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

Bellebouche67
Fanfold Paper
Views: 844
Message 9 of 15

I have just performed a final test using my existing sim card in an apple iphone.  Instant connection with good 4g signal strength and instantaneous roaming data. 

As this Motorola phone has not worked from initial purchase I would like a replacement rather than a repair assessment.  Can you  please advise the detail returns process for France (website or email address please).  

Thanks

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 833
Message 10 of 15

@Bellebouche67 wrote:

I have just performed a final test using my existing sim card in an apple iphone.  Instant connection with good 4g signal strength and instantaneous roaming data. 

As this Motorola phone has not worked from initial purchase I would like a replacement rather than a repair assessment.  Can you  please advise the detail returns process for France (website or email address please).  

Thanks

If you click the support link at the top of the page, it should take you to regional support options and contact information. Your regional support team should be able to help you with repair/replace options. 

Top Kudoed Authors