cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deandome
Paper Tape
Views: 357
Message 1 of 4

SO, Moving to Verizon Today, Should I get G5 Plus? MotoX Pure?

I work for Verizon, get 1/2 off of service, so I will soon migrate 2 lines from T-Mobile.  We get deals on service, but not on hardware, so I want a good, affordable ($200-250) phone, and the Moto G5Plus looks to tick all the right boxes.  

EXCEPT for the pesky bad-call-quality and/or microphone issues I've been reading about here.   Clearly, not everyone has these issues...it is that some of them had a production defect, or is it all software/firmeware?  

Bottom line....would I be an idiot for buying this phone to use w/Verizon right now?  Or is the problem so isolated and/or mostly eliminated from updates that I should jump in without reservations?  OR would a  MotoX Pure be a better option at this point?  BTW, is a new MotoX expected out soon?

Thanks for your help!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 351
Message 2 of 4

Re: SO, Moving to Verizon Today, Should I get G5 Plus? MotoX Pure?

Usually all of the big releases are done late summer to fall. All we have right now are rumors of a new MotoX, but if they are true it looks very nice.

I still love my MXPE even though it is a bit older. I don't have a G5 so I can't say anything about that except that people who don't have problems with a phone are a lot less likely to go looking for a support forum than people who do.

*the search bar is your friend*
-This is a peer to peer support forum, MOTOXPRTs are volunteers, not Motorola employees
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 345
Message 3 of 4

@deandome wrote:

I work for Verizon, get 1/2 off of service, so I will soon migrate 2 lines from T-Mobile.  We get deals on service, but not on hardware, so I want a good, affordable ($200-250) phone, and the Moto G5Plus looks to tick all the right boxes.  

EXCEPT for the pesky bad-call-quality and/or microphone issues I've been reading about here.   Clearly, not everyone has these issues...it is that some of them had a production defect, or is it all software/firmeware?  

Bottom line....would I be an idiot for buying this phone to use w/Verizon right now?  Or is the problem so isolated and/or mostly eliminated from updates that I should jump in without reservations?  OR would a  MotoX Pure be a better option at this point?  BTW, is a new MotoX expected out soon?

Thanks for your help!

I have a G5 Plus on Verizon. The call issue comes and goes, but Moto is looking into it, so I feel confident it will get fixed. It does seem to be location dependent, but even then, one location can be fine for days. 

X Pure and G5 are very different phones. X Pure has dual front facing speakers, NFC, compass, and all the other sensors. G5 is missing NFC in USA. X Pure doesn't have Android N yet, but is scheduled. And Moto actions is different on each device... 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Skwinglos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 311
Message 4 of 4

Overall the G5 Plus offers a powerful phone at a great price point but my biggest hang up is the display quailty.  It's terrible.  However...I can't recommend the X Pure unless the price is right and so far it hasn't dropped enough to justify the cost when there are better phones out there. 

If you can live with a terrible screen then the G5 Plus is a solid phone.

Top Kudoed Authors