Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashishshukla36
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,441
Message 1 of 11

Save Contacts in Phone Memory on Moto G5 Plus

Can we save contacts in phone memory and not directly to Google from stock Contacts app?

Will love to have that option in future updates, if not yet available.

Secret_Agent
Punch Card
Views: 8,295
Message 2 of 11

Re: Save Contacts in Phone Memory on Moto G5 Plus

I think you're going to need to install a different contacts app for that--I have a Dialer app that allows that option.  But I need to ask why?  If you set up your gmail account with 2 factor authentication your contacts should be secure from anyone without a subpoena, and you won't risk losing your contacts if you lose your phone.

ashishshukla36
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,289
Message 3 of 11

Ya thats a great idea and although privacy may not be a great issue but last time when I synced it with google, I somehow managed to double the number of every contact. And spent a good amount of time deleting the unnecessary stuff.

I usually take the backup as a .vcf file and had already restored it. So that could have led to the issue.

But lets assume that I am getting a new phone (or formatting) and cant access internet, I will always have the .vcf file so according to me, phone storage is a better option.

Secret_Agent
Punch Card
Views: 8,280
Message 4 of 11

Yes, the double contacts is a PITA!  I'm not sure what makes that happen.

FYI, the phone dialer app I use is True Phone.  It allows you to save new contacts to the phone, although I'm not sure whether it will let you make that the default.  I use is for the dialer, although I have to admit their system of allowing you to search for contacts by first two letters of FN,LN is nice too!  (e.g. you'd search for Bill Williams by typing in biwi.)

ashishshukla36
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,272
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for the input. But still the option to save in phone memory should be there in stock app rather than any 3rd party app.

Secret_Agent
Punch Card
Views: 8,263
Message 6 of 11

Is the stock contacts app Moto or Google?  If the latter that might explain why it is the way it is.

ashishshukla36
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,261
Message 7 of 11

I think its from google but my last phone had the same app and it provided the option to save in phone memory.

Renugopal
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,148
Message 8 of 11

I am also facing same issue in my moto g5 plus.

I would love to store contacts locally rather than using google because google syncs email ids as well to the contacts. As soon as I sign in with google account, the "Save to Phone" goes missing. I am forced to save contacts to google which I don't like. Everytime I save a new contact, I am removing google so that I can see "Phone only" option to store a contact. Hate doing this forever. Expecting a software update from moto.

Renugopal
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,148
Message 9 of 11

I am also facing same issue in my moto g5 plus.

I would love to store contacts locally rather than using google because google syncs email ids as well to the contacts. As soon as I sign in with google account, the "Save to Phone" goes missing. I am forced to save contacts to google which I don't like. Everytime I save a new contact, I am removing google so that I can see "Phone only" option to store a contact. Hate doing this forever. Expecting a software update from moto.

@ashishshukla36 wrote:

Can we save contacts in phone memory and not directly to Google from stock Contacts app?

Will love to have that option in future updates, if not yet available.

Renugopal
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,142
Message 10 of 11

Top Kudoed Authors